Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have had a demand rate that charges a lot more for peak-hour usage vs. off-peak, and it varies between summer and winter too. But it is still useful to compare the average cost of a kWh to other places.

For the most recent bill of July 2014, I paid $325 for 637 kWh on peak and 2034 kWh off peak, for an average of $0.122/kWh for the 2671 kWh total. Included in the $325 above is $17 service charge, and $26.82 for taxes.

Electric rates are much lower in the winter, but I use much less then due to little heating needed in the SW, compared to the cooling in the summer. So, my annual average is $0.1105/kWh.

Compared to what people pay elsewhere as posted here, I have no complaints about my bills.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
For July, we consumed a total of 480kWh. We paid ~$0.136 for the first 218 kWh (Tier 1), ~$0.155 for the next 65kWh (Tier 2), and ~$0.32/kWh for the rest (Tier 3).

PG&E, California.
If I had to pay that rate, my July consumption of 2,671 kWh would cost more than $800 instead of $325.

Of course, if I were up in SF, my A/C would not suck up that much power either, as it is a lot cooler. Or I would have a much smaller home.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #43

Another Californian on tiered electricty charges. Our last bill had 458kWh, tier 1 was the first 288kWh is 16c/kWh, tier 2 is the next 86 kWh is 19c/kWh, tier 3 is is 38c/kWh.

We don't have AC (we're pretty close to the beach) - so that saves a bunch. We don't have a pool (and it's pump/filter) - so that saves even more.
Friends have both (pool and AC), and regularly go into tier 4. Tier 4 starts at 576kWh and is 40c/kWh.

SDG&E is trying to convert everyone to TOD billing. (Time of Day). This gives you cheap rates during non-peak times (after 6pm, before 11am.) This is a good deal for folks with solar panels - since they produce during those same hours. It's apparently really cheap in the middle of the nights - so folks with electric cars set timers on their charging stations to charge their cars at 3am.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I had to pay that rate, my July consumption of 2,671 kWh would cost more than $800 instead of $325.

Of course, if I were up in SF, my A/C would not suck up that much power either, as it is a lot cooler. Or I would have a much smaller home.
With this kind of consumption, you would be paying Tier 4 rates (~$0.36 per kWh) on anything over ~500 kWh. And the real shocker might still be the water bill...
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

11.7 cents here in Southwest Florida. Had a $318 bill last month.
Bruce
Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
With this kind of consumption, you would be paying Tier 4 rates (~$0.36 per kWh) on anything over ~500 kWh. And the real shocker might still be the water bill...
OK, so it would be

($0.136 x 218) + ($0.155 x 65) + ($0.32 x 217) + ($0.36 x 2171) = $891.

My last water bill was $190. I do not know how many cubic feet we used, but looking at how my wife waters her beloved plants and trees in the backyard, I think the unit should be in acre-feet (I told her to cut it down to prevent root rot, but when's the last time your wife listens to you?).

Anyway, I am glad I live where I do. It's so I can afford two homes instead of one, and still have money left over to pump thousands of gallon of gas into my motorhome.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Anyway, I am glad I live where I do. It's so I can afford two homes instead of one...
I can barely afford the one...
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Well, as it works out, in the "dry heat" Southwest one needs two homes just to have one hospitable place to live for each season.

And AZ and perhaps also NM are the states where you can have both homes to play snowbird in the same state due to the range of elevation. Of course CA has the terrain variation too, but one can barely afford just one home there, like you said.

So, I look at my two very comfortable and decent homes that are just a 2.5-hr drive apart, and am happy that they cost the same or less than just one in other more expensive places.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Took me a while to add up everything...

Mid June-mid July, have not had to use the AC much, not sure exactly over that period (but it's on now, gonna be warm for the next few days with high humidity)

My 'all in' $/kWh is $0.12000 (yep, it really came to a round #)

$86.04/717 kWh

Fixed charges appear to be ~ 22% of that total:

Code:
Customer Charge               $15.76 (who else would they charge?)
Standard Metering Charge       $3.40             (sum)    $19.16

Supply charge is:
717kWh  X  0.05480	                                  $39.29

Distribution Charges:
DistributionFacilitiesCharge	717	kWhX	0.02437	  $17.47
ILElectricityDistributionCharge	717	kWhX	0.00118	   $0.85

Another ~ 2% misc....
EnvironmentalCostRecoveryAdj	717	kWhX	0.00036	   $0.26
EnergyEfficiencyPrograms	$717.00	kWhX	0.00223	   $1.60

A few pennies for ?
FranchiseCost	$36.91	X	1.45%	$0.54		   $0.54

And ~ 8% to taxes...
StateTax				$2.37		   $2.37
MunicipalTax				$4.50		   $4.50
But electricity sure is a wonderful thing!

-ERD50
Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Another Californian on tiered electricty charges. Our last bill had 458kWh, tier 1 was the first 288kWh is 16c/kWh, tier 2 is the next 86 kWh is 19c/kWh, tier 3 is is 38c/kWh.
That's an awfully low baseline to have such punitive tiers above it. Still, I remember all the rolling blackouts and brownouts when I lived out there, and the only thing that spared us where we lived was our proximity to the firehouse so they couldn't ever shut the power down on us.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's an awfully low baseline to have such punitive tiers above it. Still, I remember all the rolling blackouts and brownouts when I lived out there, and the only thing that spared us where we lived was our proximity to the firehouse so they couldn't ever shut the power down on us.
We're running a 2000sf house with 4 people and only slightly into the punitive rates. But we have about 1/3 LED bulbs (the ones that get the most use), and the rest are CFL. We have energy star appliances. I dry 1-2 loads of laundry for "free" on clotheslines. (Sheets/towels/jeans/t-shirts... the stuff that is big enough to make the labor less onerous... I refuse to hang socks and boys undies... to many clothespins.) We turn lights off, have gotten rid of a lot of vampire chargers, etc. Our use is super low compared to our neighbors. And we're not doing much to keep it low - except the no AC and no pool. July was hot - so we did use our whole house attic fan - which is probably our biggest draw of energy, when it's running. About 1/2 the time we're within the first 2 tiers. I don't think I've ever gone into tier 4.

Heck - look at FIRE'd - he's got similar use for 2 people in a presumably smaller space.

It helps that we have gas cooking.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$0.097 / kwh all-in cost for the last two months (for 1748 and 1589 kwh in June and July) for a fixed rate 3 year contract with TriEagle (like Tailgate). High temps here are usually in the upper 90's to low 100's this time of year. I think there is a small "customer" charge of $4.95 on months with usage of less than 1000 kwh so we see the all-in cost of about $0.101 / kwh in those months.

ERD50, I am shocked that you do not enter your electrical energy usage into a spreadsheet each and every month the way I do!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #53

5.7/kWh for our electric cars.
10.3/kWh for the rest of it.

Delivery charges are a flat rate.
Within a year or two we expect to be moving into a net zero house though, so they will go to zero on an annual basis
Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just got our 2nd full month's bill today, and when I can bear to look at it again, I'll share the details.

About 25 miles inland, with pool and A/C, we also have 4 tiers and the 2 of us have hit that tier on each bill.

I think it should be spelled TEAR instead of Tier. 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post

ERD50, I am shocked that you do not enter your electrical energy usage into a spreadsheet each and every month the way I do!
shocked? Pun intended?

No I don't track each month in a spreadsheet. When I see the bill, if it makes sense that's it, it gets auto-paid. At the end of the year, it's easy to download all the auto-payments and I do put the year's worth in a spreadsheet.

I do keep a spreadsheet where I enter data I've collected from my Kill-a-watt meter, or from the nameplates on devices, so I can think about ways to conserve.

I'd love to have a system that gave me a continuous log in real (or near-real) time, ideally on each circuit, but I guess total draw would be good. Then I might find things like when my well pump had a leak and was running through the night. I know there are some DIY systems out there, maybe I'll take another look.

-ERD50
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just downsized our apartment and pay a flat rate of $28.00/mth regardless of usage.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Electricity cost per KWH?

Quote:
We're running a 2000sf house with 4 people and only slightly into the punitive rates. But we have about 1/3 LED bulbs (the ones that get the most use), and the rest are CFL. We have energy star appliances. I dry 1-2 loads of laundry for "free" on clotheslines. (Sheets/towels/jeans/t-shirts... the stuff that is big enough to make the labor less onerous... I refuse to hang socks and boys undies... to many clothespins.) We turn lights off, have gotten rid of a lot of vampire chargers, etc. Our use is super low compared to our neighbors. And we're not doing much to keep it low - except the no AC and no pool. July was hot - so we did use our whole house attic fan - which is probably our biggest draw of energy, when it's running. About 1/2 the time we're within the first 2 tiers. I don't think I've ever gone into tier 4.

Heck - look at FIRE'd - he's got similar use for 2 people in a presumably smaller space.
Yep, we are not very careful with our electric use. When we lived in a house, our base electric consumption was around 1200kWh per month, though it would easily jump over 2000kWH during the summer and winter with cooling and all-electric heating. So the sub 500kWh monthly consumption for our smaller apartment feels quite frugal (no A/C and we rarely use the heater so our electric bill is pretty stable throughout the year). We have an electric stove and our appliances are whatever the complex is willing to provide and I doubt that energy-efficiency is at the top of their requirement list (no energy star stickers in sight). We certainly could do more to bring it down, like unplugging appliances when not in use, but DW is not down with that sort of inconvenience.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
... I think my electric bill is one of the best deals I've ever gotten! Many people spend this amount daily at Starbucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
... electricity sure is a wonderful thing!
Electricity in the US is really cheap, even if you are paying $0.30+/kWh.

Why, just try to generate your own and see how much it will cost you. For example, the 4 kW generator in my motorhome will consume 0.71 gal/hr at a full load.

So, at $3.5/gal, that's $2.5 for 4 kWh, or $0.625/kWh. And that does not include equipment and maintenance cost, which may dwarf the above operating cost.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #59

Just checked my most recent electric bill:
total $119.91 for 834 kWh = $.1438/kWh in total

But first 450 kWh basic rate is $.0906/kWh ($40.78), last 384 kWh rate is $.1373/kWh ($52.74). The remaining $26.39 is all the fees and taxes

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I refuse to hang socks and boys undies... to many clothespins.)
Have you tried drying racks? I wouldn't bother with clothespins either but the racks make even socks and undies very simple.