ER and vehicles? colorado taxes

Birchwood

Recycles dryer sheets
This may be a simple question, with simple answers. I just want to ask your opinions.
We're planning Ret. next year and will move to Colorado.
We have three vehicles, all fully paid for and relatively new with low mileages. How we got to 3 vehicles is another issue for a couple, but that's another subject. My wife who doesn't drive a lot suggest trading the two cars(Honda and Nissan) to a Toyota Minivan, and we'll keep the Ford truck. thus downsizing to two vehicles. The problem is that in Colorado, we will pay an expensive car owner tax plus plates. Since the two cars are relatively new, this will trade to the XLE series van thus incurring a big tax.. I suggest to just bring all the vehicles to Colorado and drive them until the wheels fall off. Of course, keeping the 3 will entail insurance, maintenance etc too.
The other option is to sell the two cars here outright and then buy a cheaper minivan. We like to do lots of road trips when we ret.
Any Coloradoans here with opinion about multi vehicle ownership taxes?

Colorado sounds like a steal compared to Arizona. Just registered a 5 year old car and it cost me about $750 for the first year. Only a flat $75 per year in Alberta for the same car. What a money grab!

We just renewed our cars in Arkansas. $27.50 per car. Period.

Been living in Colorado for the past 32 years and here is a link to how they do it out here.
It favors keeping vehicles for 5+ years, with a flat $3 tax at 10 years.

Motor Vehicle - Frquently Asked Questions

fyi, the ownership tax as Co calls it is a personal property tax that is deductible on your federal income tax return if you find it advantageous to itemize. Only a tax that is based on the value of the vehicle is deductible, flat rate registration fees or fees based on axles or weight are not deductible.

Back
Top Bottom