Vehicle Theft Prevention

At some level, it’s all a joke. Just a matter of degree.

At some point, it’s an insurance problem. Still, a few barriers to make your car less appealing seems to be worth it - at least IMO.
+1

Lock your doors, be smart, blah, blah, blah. In the end, however, this is why most of us have insurance.

I take precautions, but I am less concerned with car theft than with carjacking. The latter appear to be on the rise, and folks in our age category are more likely to be victims, particularly women.

I try to be aware of my surroundings getting in and out of my car, as that seems to be the most likely time carjacking attempts occur. I tell my wife, who has the friendly but potentially unfortunate habit of engaging in conversations with strangers, to be alert and avoid doing this around her car, and to be aware of anyone who seems to be loitering near the car.

Two of my ~ 75 year old female neighbors got their Concealed Carry permit here in Texas just for this kind of stuff. They carry .38 snub nose revolvers in their purse when they go to a gas station (both are widows).

I'd say 75% of my group of friends carry a firearm in their car (appropriately licensed). And many of those friends are combat vets too. That includes me. You may only get one chance to save your own life.

My car is garaged at home and kept locked when out.

I keep my Venza locked, in my locked 3-car garage, out of sight of passers-by. I'm not worried about it being stolen. But, like jollystomper, I think carjacking is a far bigger risk (around here, anyway).

I can't drive my Venza any more myself due to bad vision that doesn't allow me to renew my driver's license. Sucks, huh. Frank drives me places sometimes in my Venza, but he is a big 2nd amendment advocate and always more than adequately prepared. So, I don't worry about carjacking too much. 'Nuff said. :whistle:

Carjacking?
Hmm, now I’m really liking Car-Guy’s fuel pump immobilizer idea.
Cheerfully hand over the vehicle, then click the remote as the lowlife drives away.

I recently bought a 2022 vehicle.
The number of electrical issues that arise out of the #$^%& CANbus system to connect all of the various sensors and control issues are astounding. On my vehicle it is recommended to have the dealer replace the battery as the system will likely need to be reset afterwards.
McGyvering in aftermarket kill switches into such a delicate electrical system now days needs to be done with surgical skill and possibly wait until after the warranty is up.

One of my "when I'm retired" projects was going to be writing smartphone app to use an old phone as an anti-theft device. It's got all the motion, sound, etc sensors and can still comm on wifi or bluetooth. Alarm sounds if the partner phone loses connection. I haven't "gotten a roundtuit" yet.

Making a splice on the hot side of a fuse or relay should be okay, as these connections are designed to be switched.

I think any barriers we can use are good. While I have insurance ask most folks who lost a car and I bet it's a giant hassle with a high probability of ending up losing some $$$ in the transactions.

That's after you prove to the insurance company it was stolen... Seems they don't always take your word for it :confused:

My new car is 12 years old. It's less likely to be stolen (and likely more difficult) than a new car. The old car is 24 years old and I really don't worry too much about it. YMMV

Making a splice on the hot side of a fuse or relay should be okay, as these connections are designed to be switched.
Nope. The additional load on the circuit throws the impedance of the whole mess off. Some loads might get by. But CAN(T)bus is so finicky 1/8 of a turn on the battery post connector makes the difference between a check engine light or not.

Nope. The additional load on the circuit throws the impedance of the whole mess off. Some loads might get by. But CAN(T)bus is so finicky 1/8 of a turn on the battery post connector makes the difference between a check engine light or not.

Thanks!
I found a thread that recommends switching the ground connection on the fuel pump. In any case, no wires will be cut without thorough research. :)

Back
Top Bottom