Vehicle Theft Prevention

bjorn2bwild

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
F-150’s place high on the list of most stolen vehicles.
The new truck will travel to both urban and remote locations.
2024 F-150’s come stock with the Stolen Vehicle Services feature, designed to locate and recover the truck after it is taken.
I would rather prevent the theft in the first place.
I like the idea of the Ravelco device but can’t justify the price gouge on such a simple concept, plus there are no installers nearby.
We are investigating the insurance discount angle to help defray cost, otherwise I plan to go with the hidden kill switch idea for the fuel pump and/or an ignition circuit.
Any experience or thoughts?

https://www.ravelco.com/

Last edited:
On an existing or new vehicle?
For new vehicles, some have a PIN to drive function built into the vehicle. I know Tesla has this, not sure which others may.

For an existing vehicle, a properly installed Club may be your best bet. Very visible, so thieves may just look for easier prey elsewhere.

If there is a very determined, well equipped thief, nothing will stop them, including the Ravelco.

The two insurance companies I have done business with both offered discounts for having a car alarm. Not sure if they give further discounts for other anti-theft items.

Last edited:
This works for me, cheap and easy to install, for anyone, I think. Works really well and took me about 30 seconds to install.

https://www.mobilistics.com/nostart...relay-w-remote-starter-fuel-pump-immobilizer/

Also like one of these, as a visual deterrent mostly.

https://www.amazon.com/Club-1000-Original-Steering-Wheel/dp/B0000CBILL

Actually, I use both of the above.

Thanks, I like the fuel pump relay immobilizer idea, although a clever thief could probably locate the relay and 'jump' it. The 2024 F-150 was not listed. I will do some searching.

Last edited:
^^^^^
It's just another layer of security but anything can be defeated... These things are to just to delay a thief, since it takes time to figure out what you have done and get him (or her) to move on to easier targets. Also completely stops the dumb ones. Which most are!

Last edited:
I currently am parking outside in the driveway, and there have been car thefts reported in the nextdoor app local to the area.

So besides making sure I lock the vehicle and check it's locked. I now put the club on the steering wheel, just to make stealing it harder.

IF I had an apple phone, I'd also put one of those air tags hidden in the vehicle under seat/liner/carpet or in door panel , etc.. maybe even 2 of them.
So if the thief finds one, they stop looking thinking they are done.
Just so I could track the vehicle.

One thing I do, which is mainly for the car I park outside, is keep my key fob in a faraday pouch. My understanding is that one way they start the car is pick up the transmission from the fob and extend it so that the car thinks the fob is right next to the car.

I currently am parking outside in the driveway, and there have been car thefts reported in the nextdoor app local to the area.

So besides making sure I lock the vehicle and check it's locked. I now put the club on the steering wheel, just to make stealing it harder.

IF I had an apple phone, I'd also put one of those air tags hidden in the vehicle under seat/liner/carpet or in door panel , etc.. maybe even 2 of them.

With the Stolen Vehicle Services feature, if the vehicle senses it is stolen, it will contact law enforcement and provide the tracking information.
I will get the full details when the truck arrives.
In some cases, the owner might not want the vehicle back after it has been taken.

Pull the fuses for the ECM and fuel pump.

When I get the truck I will have a better idea about ease of access.
A missing fuse or relay will be relatively obvious.
Now, if a dummy is put in their place, that will make it harder.
When I was leaving the old truck in a sketchy situation for several days or more, I would remove the rotor and take it with me.

One thing I do, which is mainly for the car I park outside, is keep my key fob in a faraday pouch. My understanding is that one way they start the car is pick up the transmission from the fob and extend it so that the car thinks the fob is right next to the car.

It is my understanding that vehicles with the remote start feature are especially vulnerable to electronic capture.
Additionally, I understand there are OBD port hacks that can defeat many built-in, prevention/recovery measures.

If you can drive a stick shift........ Less than 5% of the driving age population under 40 has experience driving a manual transmission.

Last edited:

Funny thing with those...it's like this defeats this purpose:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227

Unwanted tracking

If any AirTag, AirPods, or other Find My network accessory separated from its owner is seen moving with you over time, you'll be notified in one of two ways. These features were created specifically to discourage people from trying to track you without your knowledge.

1. If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Find My will send a notification to your Apple device. This feature is available on iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later. To receive alerts, make sure that you:
    • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services, and turn Location Services on.
    • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services. Turn Find My iPhone on.
    • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services. Turn Significant Locations on to be notified when you arrive at a significant location, such as your home.
    • Go to Settings > Bluetooth, and turn Bluetooth on.
    • Go to the Find My app, tap the Me tab, and turn Tracking Notifications on.
    • Turn off airplane mode. If your device is in airplane mode, you won't receive tracking notifications.
  2. An AirTag, AirPods Pro (2nd generation) charging case, or Find My network accessory that isn't with its owner for a period of time will emit a sound when it's moved.
If you detect an unknown AirTag, Find My network accessory, or AirPods, use the steps below to learn about it, find it, and disable it. If you're using an Android device, you can download the Tracker Detect app to find an AirTag or Find My network accessory that's separated from its owner and might be traveling with you.

If you can drive a stick shift........ Less than 5% of the driving age population under 40 has experience driving a manual transmission.

I have read about a device that is available for public service vehicles, police, fire etc., that prevents the auto trans from being shifted out of park.
I don't think it is available to the public, AFAIK.

I'm not sure I'd want my vehicle back if it's been stolen. Fortunately, our vehicles are always garaged and we rarely if ever park in "shady" locations and never at night.

It is my understanding that vehicles with the remote start feature are especially vulnerable to electronic capture.
Additionally, I understand there are OBD port hacks that can defeat many built-in, prevention/recovery measures.

+1
Probably the easiest way a car is stolen from a driveway.
One person stands at the doorway of house and relays the signal to second person by the car with an another device and the vehicle will open and start. Then they drive off.

When we get a new car I plan of getting a metal (jewelry or hinged) box to put beside the door to make it super easy to drop the keys in.
I'll be able to test whatever box I use, by putting the keys in the box and walking up to the car and try to open the door. If it doesn't open the box is blocking the RFID signals.

+1
Probably the easiest way a car is stolen from a driveway.
One person stands at the doorway of house . . .

That's one of the other things I do - have cameras around the house. No one is standing at my doorway without me knowing. Plus, they'll know a camera was tripped once they get close enough to the house. My hope is that would speed them up to get on out of there once they don't get a signal quickly.

That's one of the other things I do - have cameras around the house. No one is standing at my doorway without me knowing. Plus, they'll know a camera was tripped once they get close enough to the house. My hope is that would speed them up to get on out of there once they don't get a signal quickly.

From the videos and neighborhood reports I've seen here. This is what happens:

They come by from about 1am -> 5 am when most folks are sleeping. Many folks with camera's have their phone set so notifications are turned off (or else you get woken every night many times).

The camera's don't bother the thieves, I've seen them look up at the floodlight camera's come on and continue to work at stealing the car. (not all use the relay method as stealing an older vehicle, or stealing tools out of trucks/vans).
Reason camera's don't bother the thieves is resolution often is poor, they are wearing hoodies or masks and almost always looking down. Finally facial recognition is great in movies but not real life and the cops don't care or not allowed.

It takes them less than 2 minutes to steal a car if they get a signal.

I recently bought a 2022 vehicle.
The number of electrical issues that arise out of the #$^%& CANbus system to connect all of the various sensors and control issues are astounding. On my vehicle it is recommended to have the dealer replace the battery as the system will likely need to be reset afterwards.
McGyvering in aftermarket kill switches into such a delicate electrical system now days needs to be done with surgical skill and possibly wait until after the warranty is up.

One of my "when I'm retired" projects was going to be writing smartphone app to use an old phone as an anti-theft device. It's got all the motion, sound, etc sensors and can still comm on wifi or bluetooth. Alarm sounds if the partner phone loses connection. I haven't "gotten a roundtuit" yet.

Now thieves are also using the CAN bus system on new vehicles to steal the vehicle. It costs ~$20 for the device. :facepalm:

It's a bit technical, they have to connect to a wire in the system, so pull off a fender a bit or punch a hole in car, etc..
Then it basically fools the vehicle to think a valid key is being used.

For an existing vehicle, a properly installed Club may be your best bet.

The Club is a joke to car thieves. A quick slice through the steering wheel and it's thrown into the back seat. Even the technically ignorant can defeat that one.

Last edited:
I never worry about auto theft. My newest cars are all insured for theft and I doubt anyone would want to steal the older ones. I don't install wheel locks or etch the glass with the VIN either. Frankly, a flat tire is much more likely than having the vehicle stolen and most people seem to be fine running around without a spare tire.

The Club is a joke to car thieves. A quick slice through the steering wheel and it's thrown into the back seat.

At some level, it’s all a joke. Just a matter of degree. In Detroit the other day, there was an Amber alert. I guy stole a car with a child in the back seat. The grandmother left the child (3yo) sleeping in the car and left it running while she ran into the gas station store. The guy who stole it probably wasn’t thinking about stealing a car but at that moment, the opportunity presented itself and he got in the car and drove off. Point is, that’s about as easy as it gets. Every step after that just weeds out more opportunistic thieves until you get to the serious car thieves that will get your car no matter what you do. I mean ultimately, they could point a gun at you and tell you to give them the keys.

At some point, it’s an insurance problem. Still, a few barriers to make your car less appealing seems to be worth it - at least IMO.

I take precautions, but I am less concerned with car theft than with carjacking. The latter appear to be on the rise, and folks in our age category are more likely to be victims, particularly women.

I try to be aware of my surroundings getting in and out of my car, as that seems to be the most likely time carjacking attempts occur. I tell my wife, who has the friendly but potentially unfortunate habit of engaging in conversations with strangers, to be alert and avoid doing this around her car, and to be aware of anyone who seems to be loitering near the car.

I take precautions, but I am less concerned with car theft than with carjacking. The latter appear to be on the rise, and folks in our age category are more likely to be victims, particularly women.

I try to be aware of my surroundings getting in and out of my car, as that seems to be the most likely time carjacking attempts occur.
Yep, me too. And I'm armed all (most) of the time. Really hope I never need it.

Back
Top Bottom