Everything is finally coming together

Status
Not open for further replies.
...........As for parents wasting money, it happens at all income levels, but many low income folks seem to find money for cigarettes and booze. Then again, most people are irresponsible with money, which is why folks on this board are relatively rare. ............
I'm proud of you for not feeding the children of those " low income folks (who) seem to find money for cigarettes and booze". They will grow up to be better adults as a result.

My spouse's church kept wanting to build bigger buildings.

We decided that feeding the hungry in our own city was more important than building a bigger and better church building, the Pastor's ego, and the number of people on his staff.
Amen.

Giving money away is illogical and not every penny is used to good effect in the nonprofit sector, which, by definition, exists to innovate to address hard problems that the market often has not and it, therefore, lacks the disciplines of the profit motive found in the for-profit sector. It still does a lot of good and most of us wouldn't want to live in a country where only government addressed all market externalities. Further, a lot of people above, including me, find a lot of joy in giving. Personally, any dollar I've ever given away has quite literally been returned to my financial bottom line, often with tremendous interest. One time in college I gave $5 to something then found a $10 bill on the way home. If I give anonymously, the effect is even greater. It sounds spooky and I have no way to prove it, but that has been my experience. Maybe the OP owes it to himself as part of his personal development quest to experiment with making a significant gift to further something he cares about and then test the results in happiness level and even personal financial return. If it fails to deliver for him, meh, he's out a few bucks and can go do something else with the rest of his money, find happiness another way, and not worry about what others think or ask him to do.

Last edited:
For people that worry about the poor people and/or charities taking advantage of the charitable dollars... then give your time. There are endless good causes that need people-power. The feeling one gets can be truly a blessing... that is, for the giver of the time.

For people that worry about the poor people and/or charities taking advantage of the charitable dollars... then give your time. There are endless good causes that need people-power. The feeling one gets can be truly a blessing... that is, for the giver of the time.

True, but they also need money. I'm not saying time isn't important, it is. But no organization runs on time only. But it is a good choice for many.

As for time, or blood... I stopped giving blood to MegaNonProfit a while ago and give to a small local bank now. Ultimately, my choice to not feed the CEO salary of $562k, because even though it is only blood, it ultimately feeds her pay.

My choice. Of course, one could say a MegaNonProfit needs 0.5 Mega pay in order to compete with MegaCorps. Whatever...

As explained earlier, I gave to orphanages run by Buddhist monks and Catholic nuns in 3rd world countries. They devote their life to it, but need money to buy food.

True, but they also need money. I'm not saying time isn't important, it is. But no organization runs on time only. But it is a good choice for many.

For sure. My point is people should not use the administrative costs of a non profit as an excuse to not donate because most all of us can give some amount of time. Also, the reality is that even non profits with high admin costs still do some good with the dollars!

For sure. My point is people should not use the administrative costs of a non profit as an excuse to not donate because most all of us can give some amount of time. Also, the reality is that even non profits with high admin costs still do some good with the dollars!

Most non profits. There are few real stinkers out there that are 'non profit' only in name. I don't think I'd consider giving to any organization with 2 stars or less on charity navigator.

Only you can answer what's missing, but I don't find donating money to be that rewarding. After all these years stuck behind a desk,I've found I'm happiest when I'm doing something physical, whether it's working on trails, house repair, boat cleaning, or even crocheting blankets to be donated. Some of this is for non profits, some just for me. I've got to have something to do and just writing a check doesn't make me that happy

Sure. I know people who do both. They fly to these orphanages, spend some time with the wretched little kids, and help the monks or nuns cook a better than average daily meals for them, bring them some toys.

I am not that altruistic, and like to take a more ordinary vacation. I am no Mother Teresa. So, I just send along some money to help out with their projects. Me going there costs a lot in airfare, so that money is better given to the people who are going anyway.

Again, YMMV. People have different reasons.

Last edited:
Wow. Some pretty good comments, and then some completely uncalled for asinine comments...

To the OP, it's your EARNINGS, do with it what you like. I also like the keeping it close to home concept. On a small scale, my DW and I help out family members who perhaps are less fortunate, or yes, in some cases make poor decisions. I think it is more my responsibility to help relatives than someone else's responsibility.

I certainly will not berate you or insult you if you choose not to "help all of the disadvantaged children in the world". Good grief.

Exactly on the Porky thing. This is very disappointing in both tone and language. Not what I have become accustomed to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom