Fidelity Stategic Income (FSICX)

kenepp1

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am thinking of adding this as a part of my portfolio (30 to 35%) when I retire the end of this year (I hope). It has a 5.1% yield and the 3 and 5 year returns has been 12.4 an 9.5 with a 0.76 E/R. It has not lost in any year since start up in May '98.

What do you think?

kenepp1 said:
It has not lost in any year since start up in May '98.

I don't have confidence in anything with a track record of less than 20-25 years. It may be great, but it simply does not have enough history to judge how it has performed over a protracted time period. And yes, I'm very conservative. But it took me 30 years to build my nest egg and I'm not about to risk any part of it in anything "new".

REW

I own a little, but it's less than 5% of my portfolio. I wouldn't feel comfortable owning as much as you are suggesting, but I do think it is a pretty decent fund.

Thanks for the input.

A whole lot of good funds have come in exisitance in the last 10 years. I don't know if data from 20 years ago is applicable to the market in the last 7 or 8 years. Plus we have had a bear market in '99 and '01 to compare performance.

However, I may decrease my estimate amount to 15 - 20%.

kenepp1 said:
I am thinking of adding this as a part of my portfolio (30 to 35%) when I retire the end of this year (I hope).  It has a 5.1% yield and the 3 and 5 year returns has been 12.4 an 9.5 with a 0.76 E/R.  It has not lost in any year since start up in May '98. 

What do you think?
I hold this fund and like it, but not at the 30-35% level.
Here's a couple of other $$producers that may be worth a look.
FAGIX  I own this one and like it
FFRHX I own a different floater, but would buy this one if I was buying now.
Again, only in small portions.

JPatrick said:
I hold this fund and like it, but not at the 30-35% level.
Here's a couple of other $$producers that may be worth a look.
FAGIX  I own this one and like it
FFRHX I own a different floater, but would buy this one if I was buying now.
Again, only in small portions.
Ah yes. one more thought.
Not a fund, but an ETF.  This puppy holds large cap dividend payers.  I've held it for about 7 months--have a nice cap gain and it will spit out a very nice dividend in about 2 weeks.  Yield is about 4.2%.  When the market starts feeling a bit toppy this summer I may sell calls on the shares for still more income.  I'd feel OK with about 10% of my money in DVY :D

Back
Top Bottom