filing taxes as a gay couple

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
http://tinyurl.com/2jfuyh

Some states allow same-sex partners to file joint returns, but because the U.S. government doesn't, tax season for gays means additional paperwork and lots more time-sapping computations....

You have to devote time to separating income from joint assets, such as bank accounts, businesses and securities sales. You must split up expenses, such as medical insurance, mortgages, property taxes and business expenses. And then there are the children. How do you go about equitably splitting a child?~~By MarketWatch

It's a horrendous mess, and only likely to get messier.

I have some gay friends who were married when the state they were in temporarily legalized gay marriages. But the state later changed it's mind. So I don't even know if they are considered married right now or not. It seems crazy to me that a marriage is something that might exist or not exist depending on where you lived or traveled within the US.

I know for myself trying to sort out my taxes for last year where I was married for the first part and single for the second part was quite messy and raised the same sorts of questions that this article did for gay folks. I can't imagine what divorced gay couples would face.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom