Financial Advisors at COSTCO!

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I could not believe my eyes as I passed two guys standing in front of a display at an Oregon COSTCO.  I spoke briefly to them, inquiring about their relationship with the products they recommended.   I asked for, but did not receive a written description of their services, fees, and relationship with products they recommend.  They said that they always recommend 3 products.  I told them that they were non-responsive, and asked again if the vendors paid them or their emplolyer?  Dodge, again.  I asked them if Vanguard funds were on their list.  They said that Vanguard charged 12b1 fees.   I choked and said, "I venture my CV is better than yours!"  They said, "What's a CV?"  "Resume", said I and walked off.

Curriculum Vitae (CV):  A special type of resume traditionally used within the academic community. Earned degrees, teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, and related activities are featured. Unlike a resume, a CV tends to be longer and more informational than promotional in tone.

Brat said:
Curriculum Vitae (CV):  A special type of resume traditionally used within the academic community. Earned degrees, teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, and related activities are featured. Unlike a resume, a CV tends to be longer and more informational than promotional in tone.

Do you go through the Starbucks drive-through and say "I'll bet my CV is better than yours"? :p

Na, I was just p... off.  Old ladies get that way some time when they feel like someone is trying to take advantage of them.

The men, who were half my age, were doing a sales pitch that reminded me of how women were treated in the 50's, when I came of age.  When I asked specific questions they did the dodge and weave, and then they said that Vanguard Funds had 12b1 fees in the 'you don't know what I am talking about little lady tone'.  Jeesh!! 

A person who I would trust to be my financial  financial advisor would know what a CV is, even if they don't know the words it stands for.  Such a person would have a great deal of knowledge about financial analysis and it's application in the real world. That person would say, in effect, "I have extensive professional training and experience which I would be happy to share with you and I would like to know about yours." 

Marshac said:
Do you go through the Starbucks drive-through and say "I'll bet my CV is better than yours"?  :p
Does Starbucks also have a financial advisor booth out front? :-\

Drink enough of their coffee and you'll need to adjust your financial plan. One of the nice things about ER is that I can grind my own beans and enjoy my expresso out back on the deck watching the constant aerial circus around the hummingbird feeder.

LEX said:
Drink enough of their coffee and you'll need to adjust your financial plan. One of the nice things about ER is that I can grind my own beans and enjoy my expresso out back on the deck watching the constant aerial circus around the hummingbird feeder.

Sounds a bit like our routine. I got away from grinding our own for a while
but now have bought a new grinder. Most of the preground stuff began to taste
like swill.

JG

I hear their going to open a new Starbucks...in a Starbucks.
Jerry Seinfeld

Just a guess: these clowns were Ameriprise/American Express Advisors? They have a tie-in with Costco.

Ameriprise Advisors

Yes, opportunities for women have changed a lot.  I married late (for my generation), in 69 when I notified a retail store at which I had an account (and spent a lot of $) to change my name they closed my account and insisted that I open an account in my husband's name.  They couldn't understand why I said never mind, I am not shopping here again! .  and I didn't.

Brat said:

Also the normal description for a resume in England as I found out.

Use to go out for dinner with ex-DW, and even when she would hand them the cc to pay, they always gave the receipt to me to sign...  :confused:

brewer12345 said:
Just a guess: these clowns were Ameriprise/American Express Advisors? They have a tie-in with Costco.

Yep! Just for S&G's my buddy and I (we both work in the investment biz) went to one of their "information sessions". We went because we thought it would be funny and it was at one of my favorite restaurants. We were shocked at how low key and not pushy it was.

I did however lower their return on investment. We drank a good bunch of their free wine, ate a couple nice fillet's, and had some wonderful desserts all on their tab.

Basically some guy in a nice suit gave a 5 minute speech, and walked around the tables to say hi. I expected a lot more (worse) from them.

Thanks Ameriprise for a very nice dinner, I think I'll stick to doing my own investments

I did the "free lunch" thing on American Express Advisors. Someone at work won a "You and 15 of your closest friends have won a free lunch with AE Advisors". A marketing ploy to get young professionals into a captive audience situation. 5 minutes of why you should get a financial advisor and they asked for our home phone numbers so they could pester us about signing up with them. I gave em my old phone number that was out of service. A work buddy gave them his home number, and was contacted twice afterwards, but they were cordial and eventually stopped calling back. Good free lunch.

saluki9 said:
We drank a good bunch of their free wine, ate a couple nice fillet's, and had some wonderful desserts all on their tab.

justin said:
Good free lunch.

Now I'm hungry. I'll buy lunch if any of you stop by in the next half hour.

We have gone to some of these types of events in part for the food. Shows how cheap we are. None of my partners would ever go to events just for the eats.

I attended an investment advisor free lunch in the hope I might learn something.  The host was so poorly prepared I felt sorry for him.  I ordered coffee and a scone because I thought that is all he could aford.  I don't feel bad lunching where I would seriously consider doing business, but the folks I have met are barely worth a cup of black coffee.

Back
Top Bottom