Flyover states to coastal snobs: go suck a lemon

In my youth kids shouted "California Driver!" when a car didn't yield to a pedestrian. It was almost as good as a swear word. Need I mention that I lived in Oregon? The attitude has mellowed but the locals still have a lot of fun casting a side ways glance at folks with cars with California plates - an inside joke. The attitude was based on the effect of the lack of land use planning in LA and the fact that they always seemed to have so much money to spend.

In a small town in Nebraska (where I grew up) those roll thru stops were called California stops.:D Oh...I think I live in fly over country....hehe...and love to visit those other places. I would never be able to afford living there but really like those visits.

I just saw this 5 min ago on CNBC.

Average Total Compensation (wage+benefits):

For Big 3: $73/hr
For Toyota: $48/hr
For US worker: $28/hr

I think UAW workers have no copays which increases the pay per hour

The good thing about being a coastal snob is even with the downturn in real estate we are still sitting on large chunks of money that we can eventually sell and move to fly over country .

The good thing about being a coastal snob is even with the downturn in real estate we are still sitting on large chunks of money that we can eventually sell and move to fly over country .
tell ya what...i'll drive over to my local small lake and sit for 10 minutes on the "coast". then i can be a coastal snob too. then i'll drive back to my house, right down the road from a dairy farm, and be a fly-over resident. will that work? :D
i am practicing my pinky flexing right now. and a one and a two and a...

:D

Yup. And here I am in flyover country, living in a building that is beautifully built, has four apartments, ours' has two baths and two fireplaces, original custom woodwork but with a gourmet kitchen and the building isn't even worth $300,000.

But right after cashing the rent checks it feels like our best investment. :duh:

In my youth kids shouted "California Driver!" when a car didn't yield to a pedestrian. It was almost as good as a swear word. Need I mention that I lived in Oregon? The attitude has mellowed but the locals still have a lot of fun casting a side ways glance at folks with cars with California plates - an inside joke. The attitude was based on the effect of the lack of land use planning in LA and the fact that they always seemed to have so much money to spend.

Living in CO in the 70's a common bumper sticker was - Don't Californicate Colorado.

Growing up in SW Washington - a slow roll thru a Stop sign was a Califorinia stop. I'm not sure the police the local police did not write same on the ticket - don't ask how I know.

heh heh heh - :p Couldn't find one stinking rich Californian in 93 when selling the old homestead - they were all in Portland getting lambasted by the Oregonian.

I promote equal opportunity.

I pretty much dislike most people regardless of residence so everyone can kiss my arse :)

Unclemick, you must have been giving me the one finger salute when facing SW. ^-^ I was just down hill from the Audubon Society, east of the tunnel... We sold our home to a local too.

And yes, a rolling stop is a California Stop.

FWIW, Oregon and Washington traffic enforcement is literal.. a stop means that your wheels stop turning, period. The grace for speeding is 5 mph if traffic is moving smoothly. Do remember when the Oregon State Patrol asked the voters for more resources to enforce traffic laws? The request was voted down with a resounding margin. Now if they had said that it was for the lab, investigation of drug or violent crime they would have had their $$$$$$$ in spades.

For those that don't know the speed laws in California seem to be a suggestion. It is my observation that you can add 15 mph so long as you are staying with traffic, leaving a little space between you and the next guy and not changing lanes. And for heavens sake do not jump at a stop light.

There are regional cultures in our nation. However it seems that every 100 years or so there are environmental or economic factors that mix it up a bit. I think it's great that we tend to be happy where we are planted but when the winds of change blow us around like tumble weed we can put down roots in more fertile soil and be content.

One of my best friends in college was engaged to a girl whose dad was a State trooper in Oregon. His quote about speeding?

"56 is speeding and 54's impeding."

That's a pretty thin line to walk, sir!

Ah, that was back when the Feds required 55 mph. The attitude hasn't changed however.

OSP takes its responsibilities very seriously. I recall someone getting a speeding ticket for going 76 on I-84 up top one summer evening, beyond The Dalles. The trooper marked "heavy traffic" on the ticket. The driver decided to take the issue to court questioning the attentiveness of the trooper, and won. For those not familiar with the area, one vehicle every 2-3 minutes is busy.

Back
Top Bottom