Forget Dryer sheets... do you reuse tissues?

Do you save used tissues for later noseblows?

• Yes

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters

free4now

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I notice when I have a cold that I can get two or three nose blows out of a single tissue. If you are a tissue reuser, please share where you store your reusable tissues... I'm getting tired of staring at them on my desk! I'm thinking maybe the garlic jar I have might work well... ventilated so they eventually dry out, but opaque so they aren't visible :)

Why not just use your sleeve? Or even better, somebody else's sleeve.

Cloth handkerchiefs.
Haven't had a cold in years.

Ugh. No way.

I do tend to do little things now that I never did when I was younger - like save the catchup packets and napkins that come with take out. I use the catchup rarely at home, but when I need it I have it, so that is one item taken off the grocery list. Likewise, I have not had to buy paper napkins in ages, since most of the take out places shove a ton of them in each bag of take out.

Now, if I could get myself to just quit the take out all together, and go back to cooking my own food at home. I made no News Year's resolutions, but this year, I think I am going to push to gravitate out of prepared foods (easy but expensive to buy in grocery store) and try to do more rice cooker, veggie, fruits, cereals, etc. We will see how it goes. As a single guy with no adult supervision, backsliding is awfully easy :D

But re-using tissues? :eek:

Pass on re-use unless last one left and out and about.

Now, if I could get myself to just quit the take out all together, and go back to cooking my own food at home. I made no News Year's resolutions, but this year, I think I am going to push to gravitate out of prepared foods (easy but expensive to buy in grocery store) and try to do more rice cooker, veggie, fruits, cereals, etc. We will see how it goes. As a single guy with no adult supervision, backsliding is awfully easy

Holler if you need ideas. Cooking is one of my fortes and simple can still be darn good!

He he.....never reused tissues, but the catsup packets and paper napkins is something DW has always done. She has a big container in the frig with mustard, catsup, jellies, etc. :D
Speaking of tissues.....we got our house wrapped back in the spring.....don't know why. Anyway, these kids used about 12 rolls of expensive paper and only about 10 feet unrolled from each. Those sure have come in handy for stuff like cleaning zert fittings, spills in the garage, paint drips and such. I'm down to my last 2 rolls. :'(

As I have had chronic allergic rhinitis (a runny nose) I am an expert on tissues and tissue conservation. I found that it was best and most discreet to have two or three cloth hankies going. :-[

crazy connie said:
Holler if you need ideas. Cooking is one of my fortes and simple can still be darn good!

I may just do that, thanks!

Maybe ten years ago I followed Dr. Ornish's Low Fat regime for about a year (old habits are always lurking, though, and I fel laway over time) and I really surprised myself by how quickly you could whip up some good, homecooked, and healthy food. I used to love baked salmon over some wild rice (maybe 20 minutes total), or no cheese bean nachos on low fat chips (adding fresh chopped scallions, cumin, and some lemon juice to the beans made for a terrific spread), etc.

I think I lost 50 lbs or more, all while feeling terrific... all is now back in place, of course. :-\

This is why I keep my hair long. It's amazing how absorbant hair is. :p

I have minor alergies all year here in California. So this is my technique (perfected over a life time):

store tissues in left pants pocket
always have at least 2 and perhaps 3
reuse until starting to shred, then discard in waste container
if wife asks for one always give her the bottom (unused) one :D

Hope this is not too explicit.

Les (I'll never admit this one on the street)

sgeeeee said:

Remind self... NEVER run fingers thru Sgeeeee's hair!!! And he lives close enough to be a neighbor (I think)!!! :LOL:

sgeeeee said:

And you save on haircuts, too ;-)

2Cor521

I often use toilet paper to blow my nose if it is handy. Tissues cost around .5-.75 cents each. Toilet paper is 12 sheets for a penny. Even though I use 2-3 sheets of TP at a time, it is still marginally cheaper. Talk about penny pinching...

Assuming 3 nose-blows/day and a savings of 0.55 cents per blow, I manage to save $6 per year. I can also calibrate the quantity of toilet paper used to match the expected need from the nose-blow. That's kind of weird when I write it out. Maybe I should stop analyzing things like this... :D

I don't typically reuse tissues if I have a fresh one handy though.

Khan said:
Cloth handkerchiefs.

I've got to say I just don't get the cloth hankies. Maybe it's just a generational thing? I think Maxim magazine said it best when commenting on them "what's next, carrying around used toilet paper in your briefcase?"

crazy connie said:
As a single guy with no adult supervision, backsliding is awfully easy

Crazy Connie = single guy :confused: :confused:

Missed that one. Oops. Sorry.

But I could use any and all easy cook-at-home ideas. Didn't we have a recipe thread here once?

I'm surprised that LBYM crowd have not suggested a "highlander" or "native american Indian" solution: Just blow it on the ground - no need to use very expensive tissues.
Or Japanese solution - it's considered in very bad taste to use handkerchief/tissue in general, so "sucking it up and swallowing your snot" is the recommended course of action there.
Or Balkan solution - blow it into the sink.

Kudos to Dr. sgeeee for the hair trick.

Only if desperate.

I guess there truly is no topic that is off limits...

sailor said:
I'm surprised that LBYM crowd have not suggested a "highlander" or "native american Indian" solution: Just blow it on the ground - no need to use very expensive tissues.

AKA: Farmer nose blow.

Re-use a Kleenex(TM) ? Ahhh, no.

DW finds unused clean ones that I left in a pants pocket. She finds them in the dryer... in an infinite number of small shreds, attached to everything. I have become very diligent on checking all pockets before throwing clothes into the wash. I do not understand the mechanism, but somehow, once in a while, kleenexes can still occasionally create themselves in pockets after I have checked! D*mn Kimberly-Clark!

Cloth hankies used to be considered to be a stylish accessory displayed hanging out of a suit pocket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief

Is it any wonder people didn't hug each other very much in the 50's? I'll take my kleenex in the garlic jar over wearing an unsanitary rag at the height of my lady friend's head.

FUnny! I remember hearing this great "hawking a loogie" sound on a NYC subway platform. Turn around and find a small 10-yr.old Chinese girl. :) :) :) The "farmer's nose blow" indeed. Hey, it's ecological and energy effiicient.. no killing of trees or laundry problems.

I have found (I won't go into how) that certain folks here hew by the "sink" method.

We just came back from our yoga class, where our teacher had us practice a particular "purification" exercise that was, essentially, emphatic and ritualized nose-blowing. She did distribute tissues at the outset!

I admit to occasional re-use, mostly for laziness reasons when I've got a real runny nose. Also, it seems like if I only use 10% of the tissue, 15 minutes later who cares? It's certainly not as 'gross' as a handkerchief, and it's not like I re-proffer them for general use.

[Makes you wonder about all those old films where the beau whips out a handkerchief in support of the weeping dame.]

SecondCor521 said:
And you save on haircuts, too ;-)
As well as mousse & styling gel...

saluki9 said:
I've got to say I just don't get the cloth hankies. Maybe it's just a generational thing? I think Maxim magazine said it best when commenting on them "what's next, carrying around used toilet paper in your briefcase?"
Spouse's grandfather, a young adult during the Russian Revolution and a working adult during the American Depression, could never understand why anyone would use something just once and throw it away. She could never understand why someone would empty their sinuses into a rag and carry it around all day.

Sundance Kid said:
AMAZING!!----The knowledge one can absorb, over the internet. :D
Thank goodness it's text only, no photos or video...

Khan said:
Cloth handkerchiefs.

So how many times can you use a cloth handkerchief anyway? Three, four, maybe five times? And then what? I suppose in the wash it goes. All stuck together and stuff. Mmmmmm. I think I'll "stick" with a single use of a Kleenex (oops, I mean tissue.)

Back
Top Bottom