Form 8606 preventing me from filing return

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have finished my tax returns on Turbotax and want to file them but Turbotax says I cannot file them yet because the IRS has not released Form 8606. The form was supposed to be released on 2/8, then it got pushed to today, 2/15. I just got off the Turbotax site and the form is still not available. Anyone having this same problem?

I am eager to go ahead and file my returns because I have had identity theft issues.

I haven't pushed anyone about it, but I got that message a while ago. I searched on the web and find the IRA shows an 8606 that is a draft. If the IRS has not released it, how could TT?

I am waiting on the same form. It is 2/15 all day...

Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs (Taxpayer)
Form Macintosh Online Windows
Date for Print 02/15/2018 02/15/2018 02/15/2018
Date for Efile 02/15/2018 02/15/2018 02/15/2018

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1...for-turbotax-individual-personal-tax-products

The form instructions were posted on the IRS website on 2/7.
https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html

Inst 8606 Instructions for Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs 2017 02/07/2018

Last edited:
Same here. I am thinking by the time we pass 9am PST, the form will be released? Just waiting for those folks out in Hawaii to wake up and have their coffee for the rest of the US to file? If I know how the government works, surely this is the reason for the delay.

Funny, I just submitted my return with a form 8606 using H&R Block software. It was accepted by the IRS yesterday afternoon. Sounds like a TT problem.

Edited to add: a look at the IRS website show form 8606 2016 (rev 01/2018) is available as are the instructions for tax year 2017. So sounds like a TT problem (but I repeat myself).

Last edited:
I'm pretty peeved about this and was on the phone for a couple hours with a 'Turbotax expert' yesterday. I filed my taxes on 2/10 using their online product, there was no warning or mention of the missing 8606 form--"Your Federal returns were accepted". After reviewing my 2016 forms yesterday (also filed with Turbo last year) I saw the 8606 form filed with my taxes last year & scheduled a call.

The TT expert told me not to worry, as my 8606 was only generated from doing an IRA to Roth conversion (to generate enough income to qualify for Obamacare) and the IRS "wasn't really looking for it." Yeah right! After insisting I wanted to mail it in, she gave me a key to download the desktop version of TTax that has the 8606 form (with a big "!" beside it, showing it's not yet ready and told me it could be as late as 2/22 before that form is available.

OP here. So maybe Turbotax is the problem? I thought the IRS had not released the form yet. I have not paid Turbotax yet and I guess I could start over with another preparation software like H&R Block, but I have everything entered into TT and it will take me hours to reenter it to new software (a lot of deductions).

the form I need to file is 8606-T since I did a backdoor roth conversion. I do see the version of the form was available Feb2 on IRS, so TurboTax is lagging. I will be mad and placing a call to them if its not resolved today.

Last edited:
OP here. So maybe Turbotax is the problem? I thought the IRS had not released the form yet. I have not paid Turbotax yet and I guess I could start over with another preparation software like H&R Block, but I have everything entered into TT and it will take me hours to reenter it to new software (a lot of deductions).

It takes about a week for TurboTax to implement and test a form after the IRS releases the form and the instructions.

If you don't want to wait, then you can still file by mail without entering the info from the entire return again.
- Go to the Print Center in the upper right corner of the desktop TTax application and print your return.
- Go to the IRS webpage and print out the official 8606 form.
- Copy the numbers from the draft 8606 in your printed return onto the IRS form and then swap in the official form.
- Mail.

TT still not importing my 1099 consolidated so I typed it all in and submitted last night. Only a few dozen trades so not that onerous but I wanted it in before I left for Australia. This year should be a breeze because I've had only 1 trade to date. ;)

Does anyone know off hand what the issue is with the delay in 8606? Perhaps the changes to the Recharacterization of Roth Conversions going forward?

-gauss

Does anyone know off hand what the issue is with the delay in 8606? Perhaps the changes to the Recharacterization of Roth Conversions going forward?

-gauss
Form 8606 is available. This looks like an issue with TurboTax.

PO here, The only reason I want to go ahead and file my return now is my concern about identity theft. I actually will owe taxes. Are many people finding identity theft issues when they file their returns this year? The reason I am particularly concerned this year is that someone stole my identity to file for my social security benefits and have them sent to a GO BANK debit card. It has been a mess trying to get it straightened out. Thank heavens I had my credit frozen at all places.

I just checked my on disk copy of TT premier, and after todays update it did allow one to bring up form 8606 both the Taxpayer and Spouse versions. (This is not the online version but rather the installed version)

The Free file refillable forms also has delayed the form 8606. The latest is that the form should be available on 2/22. I am also waiting.

I just checked my on disk copy of TT premier, and after todays update it did allow one to bring up form 8606 both the Taxpayer and Spouse versions. (This is not the online version but rather the installed version)
Thank goodness for the disk.

OP here. I was able to file my tax returns on Turbotax today, the 8606 form was available (I never got the TT email that said it was available, I just went online and TT let me file). I have already gotten approval from the feds, waiting to hear from the state. It was a relief to find out my federal tax return had not been hacked since my social security payment had been hacked. This identity theft is really nerve racking.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back
Top Bottom