Free Credit Score from WSJ article

My score from this website was 70 points lower than the score from experian that was used by PFCU in approving my equity loan.

Jim

Don't forget that there are two different credit scores. You need to find out from the credit reporting agency if their score is called the "vantage" score, and if it is ask for a FICO score. To different scales. FICO is the one most widely used by insurance companies, credit card companies and other lending agencies. Some one else may have a better description.

Don't forget that there are two different credit scores. You need to find out from the credit reporting agency if their score is called the "vantage" score, and if it is ask for a FICO score. To different scales. FICO is the one most widely used by insurance companies, credit card companies and other lending agencies. Some one else may have a better description.
And a general rule of thumb, unless you can get a lender to share it with you when you apply for credit, is: If you didn't have to pay for the score, it's not a FICO.

And a general rule of thumb, unless you can get a lender to share it with you when you apply for credit, is: If you didn't have to pay for the score, it's not a FICO.

Penfed mailed me the ltr with my score, it didn't say whether or not it was a FICO score.... Too many scores to keep track of. I was just surprised at the difference.

Jim

Your caution is noted and very wise, but this one is legitimate. It's been featured in several prominent financial publications and partners with TransUnion, which is one of the three major credit bureaus.

Having said that, yes -- people should be extremely cautious about this sort of thing until they've done all the due diligence required to convince them of its legitimacy. And I'm pretty sure the Wall Street Journal, of all places, isn't going to be printing an article promoting a service that's a scam and a hideout for "identity thieves."
I'll bet you the WSJ had article about how wonderful the Madoff hedge fund
is a while back.
TJ

At first check of creditkarma we were 775 and 749. Got an F on number of accounts.
DW applied and was approved for a new card (account) and her score went from 749 to 758. Don't know the credit limit on the new card net. Still gets F for number of accounts. We will probably just live and be happy with the F.

Total accounts is another measure of your creditworthiness. 42 accounts is an A, I have an F at one and it will stay that way. 42 accounts that would make me go to the funny farm for sure.

Total accounts is another measure of your creditworthiness. 42 accounts is an A, I have an F at one and it will stay that way. 42 accounts that would make me go to the funny farm for sure.
I agree. That seems like a really silly criterion for determining creditworthiness. Seems like 19 accounts listed (in my case) with no derogatory history in any of them ought to be enough...

I was just with a friend at the credit union who found out for me that my FICO score is 795. I think the upper limit on the FICO is 850. Now the score I got recently from Experian was 880 with the upper limit of 990. This one is called the "VANTAGE" score and this score is only issued by the credit bureaus and is used between them. It doesn't mean anything to lenders. The FICO score is the one that counts.

Back
Top Bottom