Friday "Bloodbath"

:duh:" If you can remain cool calm and collected while everything around you is in total chaos and confusion... chances are you just don't have a clue as to what's going on "
Ignorance is bliss.......that's my motto...

Not exactly whistling zipp ah dee do dah out the ying yang, but I'm certain I will smile today. :cool:

We have our new mascot - the baby seal;) That kinda symbolizes how I feel these days:p

Ouch!! Then I hope you don't get to buy anytime soon. :D
Sorry, but I'm looking at this market right now on technical terms with a very wide time horizon. If you look at the market in terms of decades, we are either at the end of an 8 year consolidation period before a very nice bull market, or at the beginning of one nasty multi-year bear market. I'm hoping fervently that it's the former, rather than the latter. If we just keep moving down in jagged little chunks here and there, then it could be the latter, and we could see the DOW well below 6,000. But if we sell this sucker off, and make people cry "surrender", and go into a long term secular bull, then it could be...well, just amazing.

Again, that's all just based on my broad strokes, simple-minded technical analysis. I would have to do acid, 'shrooms, and a fifth of Jack Daniels before I would even try to figure out the fundamentals.

However it ends, it will be interesting to live through. Great fortunes will be made or lost here.

Don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of these buying opportunities. I sold out all the positions in my brokerage account some weeks ago and that is making this period less stressful for us as we have plenty of cash on hand to support us for 5+ years, so I don't worry about what we have left in the market.

Only buying I am doing is my monthly purchases thru my Vanguard mutual funds, other than that my hands are staying in my pocket.

I'm going out kayaking on a cool (as in temperature) mountain lake, but before I go I'm taking my medicine: a great big hunk of dark chocolate. Who cares about belly fat when you're losing your ass. You've got to have something to sit on.

:D I like that way of thinkin'! I prefer to drink my calories though......

I'm going out kayaking on a cool (as in temperature) mountain lake, but before I go I'm taking my medicine: a great big hunk of dark chocolate. Who cares about belly fat when you're losing your ass. You've got to have something to sit on.

But, but... if I get into some divine Belgian chocolate, then I'll end up both fatter and poorer! And we all know that you can't be too thin or too rich. :D

Let's see. I bought on October 10th, 14th, and 20th. Should I buy today? :p

Nah - - I think I'll just sit back and watch, today.

Yeah, me too, bought just a little on days proximate to those. :rolleyes: I should have waited like my right brain told me too. Unfortunately, my left brain keeps telling me to buy on the big dips. Problem is the dips just keep getting bigger.

Yesterday I bought a new (used) dining room set for $300 to replace the tiny one I have. It will be delivered momentarily. Lots of relatives are coming to visit for the holidays this year.

Then I'm going out for a two hour hike with my dog. Like you, Want2Retire, I'm going to sit back and watch.

Anyone buying today?

Kinda, I'm exchanging 45% of my Wellesley (down 7%)for Wellington. (down 20 something %) Nothing too dramatic. I may re balance soon as well, my 60/40 IRA is now close to even steven..........shredder

I stayed home from the gym this morning, and may hold my nose and buy just before the close (markets close at noon my time). I haven't bought to rebalance yet except for some ceremonial pocket change on the first big dip just to prove to myself I wasn't scared (except I was and still am).

Last edited:
I was ready to do some early re-balancing into stock funds today and then I read Liz Ann Sonders breaking commentary this morning. "The Great Hedge Fund Unwind Accelerates."

https://www.schwab.com/public/file?cmsid=P-2777059&refid=P-2803015&refpid=P-997178

Seems as if leveraged accounts are being called in forcing fire sales. She notes in this commentary that hedge fund holders have only until 11/30 to make any final requests for sales. I'm assuming that November will also be rocky, but December will be less volatile as hedge funds will have deleveraged and the run on these funds will be over until January.

-- Rita

Sorry, but I'm looking at this market right now on technical terms with a very wide time horizon. If you look at the market in terms of decades, we are either at the end of an 8 year consolidation period before a very nice bull market, or at the beginning of one nasty multi-year bear market.
I assume you know that this is malarkey?

I did a lot of buying today only not in the stock market . I figure if I'm going to be poor I might as well dress nice .

I did a lot of buying today only not in the stock market . I figure if I'm going to be poor I might as well dress nice .
Great idea. I went to the races at Keeneland day before last. The weather was beautiful, the track and horses were beautiful, the Kentucky horse country was beautiful- but most beautiful of all were the lovely fashionably dressed women in their spaghetti strap dresses and heels.

Well dressed women are a public service. :)

Ha

This month, I added to my equity investments on the 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th and 22nd. I might buy some more tonight, we'll see how the market closes.

I had a few goals in mind in terms of accumulating shares of my favorite mutual funds and lowering my cost basis per share. The market is down so much that I will be reaching those goals much sooner than I expected.

So I went shopping this morning and I dropped $400 at Bed Bath and Beyond and Circuit City. It was dead, only 2-3 people in each store, empty parking lots. Still couldn't get any service at circuit city though.... But at least that's $400 that won't disappear in the market! Plus I am helping the local economy.

i have my eyes on UYM and UYG

patiently watching for any signs of a recovery

So I went shopping this morning and I dropped $400 at Bed Bath and Beyond and Circuit City. It was dead, only 2-3 people in each store, empty parking lots. Still couldn't get any service at circuit city though.... But at least that's $400 that won't disappear in the market! Plus I am helping the local economy.

Linen N Things is going out of business 30% off

Too bad about Linens & Things. :p

Had to go to Target and the lot was packed with cars, lots of shoppers, all there for no apparent reason -- except that it's Friday, I guess! I was buying some items for my revamped office space, modular cube storage of various kinds by "itso" . Really nice and pretty cheap.
RETRACTION: piece of crap!!! Don't buy the "itso" storage cubes. Badly engineered, screws don't go all the way in. The file drawer is lopsided!

If I bought individual stocks I'd be buying Target. As it is I'll probably get some as I rebalance into my MFs.

Linen N Things is going out of business 30% off

Linen and Things went out of business in my town a long time ago... Plus I keep receiving in the mail those 20% off coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond, so they always have a sale as far as I am concerned...

What do people think about GE, with a 6.5% yield?

One of the trading experts said on CNBC before the market opened this morning that you might try putting in orders for a $20 stock at $12, $10, $8.

He wasn't talking about GE per se but this was when there was talk about the market going down 1000 points and trading being halted.

Back
Top Bottom