Future starting withdrawal rate

Camas Lilly

Recycles dryer sheets
I am not sure I fully understand what figures I need to enter in Firecalc. First you enter your spending $ (or budget we have figured), then your portfolio value (in today’s dollars).

Then in a another window, is asks about retirement and additional income. My husband retired in 2015, drawing SS early, in addition to a pension. I will retire in 2021/22, drawing SS early also. We are not drawing from the portfolio until 2021/22 when his RMD starts.

When I enter my husband’s data and the year he retired, how does Firecalc know we are not drawing on the portfolio until 2021/22? I am sure it is there somewhere, I am just overlooking it.

If not, wouldn’t it be better if I changed both retirement dates to 2021/22, when we start drawing on that portfolio? The fixed income dollar amount will be roughly the same in and assuming the portfolio value will be greater, but that is OK.

So I assume you are either living on his SS or you have cash set aside that you will use until 2021 and that is not included in your portfolio that you entered?

If so, then I would say enter 2021/22 which ever you choose into the "Not Retired?" tab as that will treat it so you are not withdrawing from your portfolio until then.

So I assume you are either living on his SS or you have cash set aside that you will use until 2021 and that is not included in your portfolio that you entered?

If so, then I would say enter 2021/22 which ever you choose into the "Not Retired?" tab as that will treat it so you are not withdrawing from your portfolio until then.

+1

Yes, we are living on his SS, pension and I am still working. I am 7 years younger than he, but will retire at ~63.

Back
Top Bottom