Join Early Retirement Today

Golden handcuffs strike again
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Golden handcuffs strike again

DW was supposed to be joining me in retirement on Dec 4 of this year. They offered her a OMY deal that she couldn't refuse. Ugh! I regret the day I said I'd support whatever decision she made. They will start reducing her work hours after March, gradually winding down and working from home 2-3 days a week by summer and only a few specified special projects by next fall, all with full pay, benefits, stock options and grants that will vest normally, and a generous bonus -60%. So financially it looks good, but I have my doubts about the reduced hours they promise. Time will tell...but I was so looking forward to time with her. At least I get a new car out of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hang in there Dash man,
Actually it looks like a win-win for you guys. Since she was planning on going this year if the work/time commitment gets too onerous, she can stick to her original plan and walk. If it's doable and they stick to their promise, you guys pad the nest a little more.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

60% bonus is a nice way to springboard into the retirement pool.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

How does your wife feel about this? If she's ok with it (or even happy about it because of the ego boost) then you have to suck it up and be encouraging.

If it's really part time, as proposed, you'll get a lot more time with her and might help you both transition to her full time retirement.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the part-time work might be good for someone who may not be quite ready for retirement or are unsure. My wife is probably that way, and I am hoping that she will be able to transition to part-time work next year (she indicates they have made this offer in the past). While she states she will be ready for retirement next year, I have my doubts, which is why I hope the part-time option comes to fruition.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

She went in several weeks ago intending for Dec 4 to be her last day. She knew she'd be leaving a lot of money in the table, but at her level it's always that way. In my mind we have plenty, but she's always nervous it won't be enough. They offered her this deal and she asked how I felt. I told her I'd support whatever decision she made, then "suggested" more reasons to leave than to stay. Just the other day she felt she couldn't stay any longer because of her boss. But after 30 years she wants to leave with dignity...I tried to tell her she'd get over that quickly once she was gone, but she agreed to their plan. I just don't trust her boss to stick to the part time gig working from home. I guess I just value our time together more than the extra money. The money is significant, but I'm sure it'll just go to the kids and the government.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

From what you've written I'm sensing that, for her, it's about being ready in her mind to go. I think she needs to leave "the right way" for her to feel good about it. I have felt the same way and have OMY'ed a couple of times because of it. I have a feeling that her desire to stay will go away very quickly if her boss doesn't live up to his end of the deal. She may be home quicker than you expect...

Everyone needs a trigger. It sounds like she just hasn't had hers yet.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
She went in several weeks ago intending for Dec 4 to be her last day. She knew she'd be leaving a lot of money in the table, but at her level it's always that way. In my mind we have plenty, but she's always nervous it won't be enough. They offered her this deal and she asked how I felt. I told her I'd support whatever decision she made, then "suggested" more reasons to leave than to stay. Just the other day she felt she couldn't stay any longer because of her boss. But after 30 years she wants to leave with dignity...I tried to tell her she'd get over that quickly once she was gone, but she agreed to their plan. I just don't trust her boss to stick to the part time gig working from home. I guess I just value our time together more than the extra money. The money is significant, but I'm sure it'll just go to the kids and the government.

Same thing happened to me but not as lucrative. The way I have been able to manage is to continually set boundaries. There are things I will and won't do. Plus, I told them I'm setting my expectations low about what is demanded of me. I also don't show up on occassion just to keep them guessing. What she will certainly realize is that she can cut the cord at any time. As said earlier we all leave money on the table. It's the money that keeps us hooked. However, how much does one need to be happy. Not as much as we think. Good luck
Old 11-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #9

just plan a really nice vacation for yourself at a destination where she would want to go... make it for a month while she will be working. Go have a good time and sent really good pics to her... you wouldn't what her to be out of the loop.... skip that.... she may not be happy with you afterwards
Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good exit plan for her as she doesn't quite feel ready.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
just plan a really nice vacation for yourself at a destination where she would want to go... make it for a month while she will be working. Go have a good time and sent really good pics to her... you wouldn't what her to be out of the loop.... skip that.... she may not be happy with you afterwards

I've actually been toying with this idea. We have a second home in Florida that was primarily for her snowbird parents that we've decided to sell. I've been wanting to go down there to get it ready for sale...and to have some fun. After we sell we're buying a condo in the Ft Lauderdale area. I could go condo hunting too. So it's a vacation with a purpose! Think she'll fall for it?