Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good week in the markets
Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DblDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,224
Good week in the markets

Well after a week of doom and gloom threads this was certainly a good week to be in the markets for those of us still accumulating, and those already retired!

You all have a good weekend!

DD
__________________

__________________
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44
Easy come, easy go. Monday they well be down again. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride my friend.
__________________

__________________
mexmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmeme View Post
Easy come, easy go. Monday they well be down again. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride my friend.
I only enjoy the ride going up.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I only enjoy the ride going up.
It's even more fun when there's a giddy ride up just before the weekend! Then we have all weekend to enjoy and to hope (however unrealistically) for even more next week.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending? Bah
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending?
Nah. Just a market head fake...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending? Bah
: watch this space next week.
__________________
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Overstock sale on aluminum foil?
__________________
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 488
Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) reported a steep quarterly loss and took around $13 billion in writedowns, at least half of which were related to subprime-related exposure. Citi also said it will cut about 9,000 jobs. However, the company's quarterly revenue was higher than analysts were expecting, and shares jumped 4.5%.

__________________
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending? Bah
They say "What goes up, must come down". Could the opposite be true, as well?

I guess one alternative to markets heading up (as well as down) now and then, is for the Dow to plunge to 0 and then stay firmly at 0 day after day, week after week, year after year, for the infinite future. Now THAT would make CNBC more boring than it already is!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Well, we have tested the lows a couple of times this year right...looks like the "credit crisis" has been solved and now on to the "energy and food inflation crisis"... Maybe the market is pricing in an oil bubble...I put a large portion of my annual investment allocation to work in the first quarter...
__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nah. Just a market head fake...
Way to kill the mood!
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) reported a steep quarterly loss and took around $13 billion in writedowns, at least half of which were related to subprime-related exposure. Citi also said it will cut about 9,000 jobs. However, the company's quarterly revenue was higher than analysts were expecting, and shares jumped 4.5%.
They're going to cut jobs, cut costs and raise standards. It's obviously what people with money burning holes in their pockets were wanting to hear. This may be what the doctor ordered, but I would be worried that it's more a case of a morning after prayer: "Oh, God, please let me get through this and I swear I'll never act like an idiot ever again." All too often that sort of religion goes away after the scary times pass.
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
All too often that sort of religion goes away after the scary times pass.
Definitely. The good thing is that it takes a while for people to forget. Let's see: early 90s debacle, then 1998/2001 bubble pop, now 2008. Looks like it takes 6 to 10 years for people to forget and start doing dumb things again. I'd say that whoever is still in one piece by the end of the year will be set up for a good run. But make a note to buy a pile of puts starting in 2014 or so...
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
2012 is end, that is when the mayan calendar ends and it's the name of a Rush album
__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ladelfina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
"Oh, God, please let me get through this and I swear I'll never act like an idiot ever again."
Funny, there are still zero dp and interest-only mortgages out there...
Real Estate Blog - Zero-Down Payment Loans

according to this guy.. that's rilly rilly good news!
__________________
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:56 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Definitely. The good thing is that it takes a while for people to forget. Let's see: early 90s debacle, then 1998/2001 bubble pop, now 2008. Looks like it takes 6 to 10 years for people to forget and start doing dumb things again. I'd say that whoever is still in one piece by the end of the year will be set up for a good run. But make a note to buy a pile of puts starting in 2014 or so...
Having been a MegaCorp employee for more than 30 years, I don't know if it's so much they forget as there are new people in charge every 6 to 10 years anxious to do dumb things for their first time. The people who were in charge and would know better, departed in shame after the last debacle --- although their golden parachutes made the shame more than worthwhile.
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Having been a MegaCorp employee for more than 30 years, I don't know if it's so much they forget as there are new people in charge every 6 to 10 years anxious to do dumb things for their first time. The people who were in charge and would know better, departed in shame after the last debacle --- although their golden parachutes made the shame more than worthwhile.

I think the 7 year itch applies to investment as much as mortgages.

Personally, I was rooting for a stock sale back in Dec and Jan. By Feb I was getting a bit tired of having buyer regret. So it was nice to see they take the 20% sale signs down this week
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
They're going to cut jobs, cut costs and raise standards. It's obviously what people with money burning holes in their pockets were wanting to hear. This may be what the doctor ordered, but I would be worried that it's more a case of a morning after prayer: "Oh, God, please let me get through this and I swear I'll never act like an idiot ever again." All too often that sort of religion goes away after the scary times pass.
You are probably right. It's just that I didn't see any good news that would boost the stock almost 5% in one day. Now maybe if it read like this:

Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) reported a steep quarterly gain and took in around $13 billion in new business, at least half of which were related to solid accounts. Citi also said it will add about 9,000 jobs. However, the company's quarterly revenue was even higher than analysts were expecting, and shares jumped 4.5%.
__________________
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
2012 is end.....it's the name of a Rush album
Actually it's Rush 2112, so maybe we have an extra 100 years, LOL
__________________

__________________
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money Markets Keyboard Ninja Young Dreamers 8 04-14-2008 11:52 AM
Last week Coffee - This week donuts chinaco Other topics 23 05-20-2007 01:40 PM
Update week two of my 13 week sentence in Newark,NJ newguy88 Life after FIRE 14 09-17-2006 04:44 PM
Good week at work laurence Young Dreamers 21 05-04-2005 07:59 PM
How confident are you in the markets? GTM FIRE and Money 19 10-22-2004 01:29 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.