Got my first senior citizen discount

We take the old geezer discount whenever it's offered...10% off at the grocery store. Plus they have free coffee & donuts on that day. We just make sure we get there before the vans and busses from the retirement homes arrive.;)

Goodwill and other thrift stores also have a "senior" day and give a discount for the asking.

_B

Why? It's a lot more work for someone to check and do the math (and become an enforcer) rather than look at you and decide "close enough". It's not like there is a law that might be broken.

I don't like the idea of senior discounts either, because even though there are plenty of poor seniors, as a group, people over 50 are much better off financially than younger folks.

But I take my discount anyway. Probably because I feel like it's my turn now - been waiting all this time, you know.

The discount starting age is sometimes 55, but many places it's 60, or 62, or 65.

I laughed at the comment that I don't like it, but I take it anyway. Frankly, I take any discount I can get because there will be time they will fleece me anyway, regardless of my age. It's average out in the long run.

Another thing I like is the pretty substantial senior discount on things like subways, buses and museums in Europe. They normally don't list a particular age, so it's probably discretionary, but I always ask for a senior ticket and they never blink an eye.

Well, OK I actually do look my age so it's not a big deal.
:D

An establishment offers a discount for several reasons. To get your business, to offer a thank you, to help out. Do you hate a store that provides close parking for pregnant women? How about a military discount? A discount for kids tickets? Our local theatre offers a senior discount and matinee discounts, I suspect to generate income. We take advantage of it and never think about the poor first grade teacher with 25 runny nose bundles of noise that can not take advantage of it.

Why? It's a lot more work for someone to check and do the math (and become an enforcer) rather than look at you and decide "close enough". It's not like there is a law that might be broken.

I don't like the idea of senior discounts either, because even though there are plenty of poor seniors, as a group, people over 50 are much better off financially than younger folks.

But I take my discount anyway. Probably because I feel like it's my turn now - been waiting all this time, you know.

The discount starting age is sometimes 55, but many places it's 60, or 62, or 65.

I am referring to the discount at 65. I like to think I am a young looking 66 but apparently not young enough to generate enough doubt about my qualifying. Clerks would be wise to ask for ID even if they didn't think it necessary. We would feel better and perhaps frequent the establishment more often.

I am referring to the discount at 65. I like to think I am a young looking 66 but apparently not young enough to generate enough doubt about my qualifying. Clerks would be wise to ask for ID even if they didn't think it necessary. We would feel better and perhaps frequent the establishment more often.

That works in the other direction, too.
I remember being carded a couple of times in my late 20s when ordering a beer in a restaurant. I've even heard of places where they card most women just to make them feel younger for a moment.

I remembered getting my first senior discount at 45 in a McDonalds. I guess at 45 I looked old to the teenager. After eating I did a lot of thinking that day about how fast life does go buy. Youth is such a short time in your life. Maybe 15-20 years after high school if you are lucky.

Last edited:
thank you

A really nice way of saying "Thank you for contributing to society for so long." :cool:

When I hit 70, I discovered that I could get a season pass at a ski resort for the cost of just a few days regular lift tickets, and there are some places that let you ski free at that age. Not surprisingly, I see plenty of people my age on the slopes.

i was bummed out by the other reply

nice

An establishment offers a discount for several reasons. To get your business, to offer a thank you, to help out. Do you hate a store that provides close parking for pregnant women? How about a military discount? A discount for kids tickets? Our local theatre offers a senior discount and matinee discounts, I suspect to generate income. We take advantage of it and never think about the poor first grade teacher with 25 runny nose bundles of noise that can not take advantage of it.

when i first moved here, they had veterans discount on a certain day, i found my discharge and they gave it to me, customer service gave me a card to indicate i was an eligible vet, i forgot that, i know i earned that discount too. i got a lot more than 39 cents, and i became loyal to that store, by the way this is the same store that gave me the senior discount

Reminds me of the first time I received a quasi-senior discount. Back almost 20 years ago some hotel chain had a kids stay free if traveling with someone over 50. Advertised in lobby, aimed at the grandparent set. So, with my one year old son in my arms and my 3 year old son tagging along, I requested the discount. Wouldn't give it to me until pulled out my driver's license.
Miss those days of having to prove my age, sigh.

I remembered getting my first senior discount at 45 in a McDonalds. I guess at 45 I looked old to the teenager. After eating I did a lot of thinking that day about how fast life does go buy. Youth is such a short time in your life. Maybe 15-20 years after high school if you are lucky.

Same here - at the age of 42.:(

Now I just confuse the staff by asking for a senior soft drink one day (69 cents) and on another I'll get a large ($1). They haven't caught on that when I'm in my bicycling gear I can't take it with me, so I get the senior size to save that 31 cents. But if I'm driving and can take the soft drink to sip all afternoon then I'll get the large. :D

I never got any as a young starving man child, so gosh darn it, I'm getting it now.

All those young folks will get it as well when they get older, so they are not missing anything.
If they live that long.

A really nice way of saying "Thank you for contributing to society for so long." :cool:

When I hit 70, I discovered that I could get a season pass at a ski resort for the cost of just a few days regular lift tickets, and there are some places that let you ski free at that age. Not surprisingly, I see plenty of people my age on the slopes.

Three years ago skiing at Monarch for those over 70 was free. Now you have to pay a whopping $20 for a season ticket. :mad: I missed that one.

But my first senior discount was a Deer Valley Ski Resort. Saved $20 on a lift ticket. At $120 a day no one there (young or old) needs the money.
When I was at Park City in the 80s, the lift price for over 65 was 0. I thought, what a great place. I will be back!

Never got back and I suspect the discount has changed.

I've asked for the senior discount a few times but am quite miffed when they don't ask for ID to confirm it.
I started to ask for the seniors discount on the bus as soon as I retired. I was asked for ID once, and I made a big deal about wanting to kiss the drivers hand. He gave it to me without ID.

We were at a friends place for his 55th birthday and decided to take him and his wife on a local boat cruise. I asked and they said yes he will get it at 55! We all laughed about that one, first discount on his birthday.:LOL::LOL:

I got my first Senior Discount at 49 in Peru! I was on a date with my wife (21 y/o) and we went to the movies. I paid for two tickets and when I got the change back, I thought the cashier made a mistake and I went back. The cashier pointed to a sign of and old person with a cane and the lower price. I was overjoyed, YW not so much and she refuses to this day to go back to that theatre.

The discount starts here when you are 60 and you also do not have to wait in line at banks/movies/supermarkets and always get a seat on the bus. Unfortunately, they do not discount the popcorn.:(

I haven't done this yet. I look much younger than my 60 years (not vanity, really! I'm told this all the time) so I wonder if I'd have to be "carded." Plus, it is confusing. Are you "senior" at 55, 60, or 65??

I just received my gezerette's discounted National Park pass. Not sure I'll ever use it, but it was such a deal I couldn't pass it up.

The local community college offers us oldsters free tuition if space is available in a class, and half off the non-credit community classes.

I take the discounts where ever I can find them.

Of there is a converse issue, how often if buying booze do you get asked for IT, at 66 I tell the checker thank you.

I can't stand SR discounts. It's the young who need $ more than SRs & these discounts in effect take from them. I shun AARP.

And why would you look at it that way:confused:

I look at it as an incentive for them to get me to their place of business.... them KNOWING that I might not come without the incentive...

Now, if you are too embarrassed to take the discount or want to pretend you are younger and do not qualify, good for you...

PLUS, how do you know that young people need it more than seniors? There are a lot of seniors that live paycheck to paycheck and it is sometimes hard for them to get a job....

I haven't done this yet. I look much younger than my 60 years (not vanity, really! I'm told this all the time) so I wonder if I'd have to be "carded." Plus, it is confusing. Are you "senior" at 55, 60, or 65??

This has happened to my DW, she has always been mistaken for being much younger, and at one restaurant was humorously asked to show proof of her age, the wait staff could not believe that she was 58 at the time. :)

I never got any as a young starving man child, so gosh darn it, I'm getting it now.

All those young folks will get it as well when they get older, so they are not missing anything.

+1
Totally agree!! I've worked hard for a long time so I will relish any senior discounts I can get. Eases the pain of getting older.

I just received my gezerette's discounted National Park pass. Not sure I'll ever use it, but it was such a deal I couldn't pass it up.

The local community college offers us oldsters free tuition if space is available in a class, and half off the non-credit community classes.

I take the discounts where ever I can find them.

I was just going to comment about the best senior discount, that national park $10 unlimited pass.

Back
Top Bottom