• Yes

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • No, and I won't

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • No, but I likely will before tonight's draw

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Isn't it silly that $500 million will get me to buy a ticket, but $10 million will not?! Anyway, I decided to pick some up on my lunch break. I only heard about the big jackpot yesterday.

Not yet - but I just called DW and asked her to pick up a few on her way home. Thanks for the reminder.

No, I won't. So my chance of winning is 0% versus about .0000000001% :).

That said, good luck to those who got a ticket.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Powerball says the odds of winning the grand prize are 1 in 175M, and the prize is more than $500M. Seems like it's time to play. The odds are in our favor.

Attachments

• Powerball.jpg
    Powerball.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
If I win I think I will buy an immediate annuity with it.:LOL:

Can you imagine the salesman's reaction if you told him you had a half billion to spend!

Here is my philosophy on lottery tickets. It's part of the curse of being an engineer, having studied probability in college.

I heard a guest on NPR put it this way: Take 175 million pennies and mark an "X" on a single penny's face. Lay them side-by-side, face down, which should stretch roughly from Los Angeles to Chicago. Now take a road trip, stopping anywhere along the string of pennies at random. Get out of the car, pick up a penny, and the chances of that being the one with the "X" is the same as winning the Powerball.

Hey, you guys all send me a dollar. I promise I'll pay $400M if you pick the winning number. :LOL:

I got 1 ticket when I stopped for gas on monday. It's cheap entertainment and, hey, you never know. Somebody will win, why not me?

Here is my philosophy on lottery tickets. It's part of the curse of being an engineer, having studied probability in college.

DH is a retired engineer and I'm a retired guvmint accountant. We both studied subjects in college that should have learned us better. But know what? A few bucks a few times a year for a little entertainment isn't such a bad deal. ;)

Since i'm going to win tonight I should start thinking about how i'll invest the money. I figure if I take the cash option, after taxes, I should end up with about $220 million. How many shares of Wellesley can I get with that?:D

In California and so from above posts I'm apparently not eligible.

I'm a net winner in the California lottery. On my first ticket I won $9 maybe 15 years ago. Decided to never play again.

Couldn't take the idea of giving it all back.

I bought a few today. I'll let everyone know if I win.:)

It is fun to dream though.

If I won I would host a huge three-day all expense paid early-retirement.org party in Hawaii! How's that for dreaming!

How much room do you have there Nords?

I bought mine. I'll take the 2nd prize of $1mm (figuring 1/2 goes to taxes and leaves me with 500k) ! that will get me to a 3% WR and is enough for me to change my sig line to "officially in the class of 2013"

With LBYM I have trouble spending $500, so thinking how to spend $500 million makes me feel sick.

I haven't purchased a ticket in a LONG time, but, I just walked down to the local convenience store just now and there was a couple dozen people lined up... I was like what is going on, is the register broken? Then I realized that this was the lottery line. I normally don't carry much cash but actually had $5 in my wallet. So, when my turn came up I asked for 5 tickets, quick pick. She came back and told me that will be $10!! I was like, nooooo... I just wanted 5 tickets! I only have $5! She informed me that they now cost $2 each. I had to run back home, get my ATM card and I quickly drove back and payed her. I don't know if I would have bought them if I had known they had doubled in price. Oh well, I have thrown $10 away before and probably will again.

Good Luck everyone!

I haven't purchased a ticket in a LONG time, but, I just walked down to the local convenience store just now and there was a couple dozen people lined up... I was like what is going on, is the register broken? Then I realized that this was the lottery line. I normally don't carry much cash but actually had $5 in my wallet. So, when my turn came up I asked for 5 tickets, quick pick. She came back and told me that will be $10!! I was like, nooooo... I just wanted 5 tickets! I only have $5! She informed me that they now cost $2 each. I had to run back home, get my ATM card and I quickly drove back and payed her. I don't know if I would have bought them if I had known they had doubled in price. Oh well, I have thrown $10 away before and probably will again.

Good Luck everyone!
At least the walk and run back got you some exercise :). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom