Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I guess I'm fortunate to have enough money to buy a lifestyle where I need not polish my shoes. I'm not sure how sandals would be polished anyway.

edit: well I was trying to be clever without reading any other comments then realized others came to the same conclusion re: sandals and inability to polish.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
polished my shoes as a kid, but stopped doing that once I became a teenager.

Totally forgot about it.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
Nothing is better to dress up Chinos or Jeans than high quality leather shoes like classic pumps or loafers.
I want to get a long life out of my shoes, so I treat them well. They get high quality polish and enough rest. Always an idle day between walk outs. A drop of fat on leather soles. They last for ages which saves me shopping for new ones.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you polished your shoes?
I spent eight years in the military. Next question.
+1, same here.
Once I got into the daily routine it wasn't a big deal.
Haven't manually shined my shoes since then (1996) but have used a machine when needed for post-military life.
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I shine my dress shoes about once every two years which is about as often as I wear them anymore. I used to regularly shine them if by shine you include those plastic applicators (can't remember the name and not going to go look). I was usually too lazy to drag out the full deal with paste, brush, and buff cloth but I did have the kits and would engage in the full Monty a couple of times a year.
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado
I typically shine my own shoes, but when I was in job search mode, I would always get my shoes shined "professionally" prior to an interview. The guys that do it dozens of times a day do it far better than I can. Somehow it made me feel more prepared and confident going in to that interview.

Now I pass the shine stations in the airport and thank my lucky stars that I don't need a shine.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #47
I've been shining my own shoes since high school. Always used Kiwi polish. I clean them with saddle soap when they're too dirty or when the polish is too built up. One of the nice things about cleaning my shoes is that it completely occupies my mind and is a nice distraction.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #48
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Used to do them when I worked. Never had an office near a shine guy. Got them done in the airport when needed. Now just in time when needed. (A few times a year.)
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #49
I polish my shoes myself and I've never paid for a shoeshine. When we were kids the white Chuck Taylor All Stars were the cool shoes. I think they cost about $10. Mom made us wash 'em and use white shoe polish to keep them looking new. We were the only kids in the neighborhood that washed their sneakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Polish them yourself - save the cash
Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe
Polish them yourself - save the cash

I always polished my own shoes. From grammar school through the later years of my working career, right up until I went all "Tommy Bahama" and never wore polished shoes or neck ties to work again.

I am retired now, but I still have two pair of polished shoes in my closet. Both are heavily covered in dust at this time, and will remain so until the next funeral I have to attend.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by harley View Post
How do you shine flip flops?
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
No I only wear sandals and flip flops. California culture.
Yeah, I'm still stuck on that whole "wearing shoes" problem...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #52
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, I'm still stuck on that whole "wearing shoes" problem...
I wear shoes or sandals most of the time when I go outside the house (mainland culture). But inside my house I am barefoot all the time (Hawaiian culture).

Even though I haven't lived in Hawaii for 41 years, I still have a place by the door where I slip out of my shoes whenever I enter the house. Old habits die hard, I guess. It makes me feel at home.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus
DH loves polishing shoes--it's a distracting yet productive ritual, as Gumby and MichaelB mentioned above. He also loves ironing. Perhaps the military connection. Go figure.

We wore saddle shoes every day to school until I was twelve or so. Two colors of polish required, once a week, although the white barely covered the scuffs. And I remember using white liquid polish on white Keds to keep them new looking. And now I never polish my shoes or wear shoes if I'm indoors, like W2R!

I know DS (he has to dress up for work) enjoys the professional polish when it's available.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets
Probably the best change to the military uniform - ever - was switching to combat boots that didn't have to be shined. I understand why our dress shoes should be shiny. I will never, ever understand why combat boots were supposed to be shiny.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #55
Reading over more of these posts reminds me of other things regarding polishing shoes. As mentioned in my earlier post, I shined shoes for a "living" when I was a kid in 1950. The ritual carried over the years even until today. I still have the shoeshine kit my father made for me many years ago. Still have the Kiwi and Shinola polish, saddle soap and sole dressing. In my management work years I always wore Florsheim Imperial wingtips with the steel wedge in the heel. All of my dress shoes are blocked with shoe trees and boxed. Can't remember the last time I wore any of them. Funny story: sometime ago a golf buddy died and I went to his wake. Expressed my sympathy to his wife who walked me up to the casket. She pulled back the cover and there he was in his black and white golf shoes. I was shocked. She told me that "John always said you never know when you might run up on a game".
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #56
gone traveling
Living over the world, I've come to appreciate footwear as both practical and in some cases a status symbol.

While living in one particular location, people has a phrase about flip flops. If they were hurting for money, between paychecks, they would joke that they didn't have enough money to buy a set of flip flops of the same color .... Implying their flip flops were from the junk pile.

Another time in said country we built a factory and equipped all local construction workers with proper PPE...personal protection equipment. Typically a hard hat, an orange safety vest, and steel toes safety boots. One month in and we had to halt construction for countless PPE violations - everyone was back to wearing flip flops - from the guys laying concrete to the guys 6 stories up the scaffolding doing the welding.

Turned out those boots were worth a couple months salary and no sooner did we give them out than they landed for sale in the local market ...

I just don't get the (pajama bottom and) flip flop wearing youth fashion. Looks lazy and impractical to me...

Comfort? My arches would be aching as would the space between my big toe and pointer toe.

Anyway, I like a nice shoe shine. Did it a few times at the airport for real bad cases... Usually just DIY.

Grandpa owned a shoe store - Paul Parrott and Buster Brown--- when I was old enough (5 maybe?) he taught me how to use all the wares- the tins of kiwi polish, a cotton cloth, saddle soap, mink oil, sole saver liquid, and an old toothbrush. Fond memories.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.
My dad was career Navy. I use to
polish his shoes for a dime. I still polish my shoes and have soles replaced if the shoes are at least reasonably fashionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets
Ive always found it comical when im at an airport and I see men dressed up getting their shoes shined.

I want to walk up to them and let them know how silly it is to wear leather on your feet that is rock hard...provides no support...and has absolutely no traction...all while the insert is also leather so your foot slips around and sweats. I never understood it but its socially accepted so it is what it is.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets
Growing up I remember my dad always polished his own shoes ready for the work week, on Sunday evenings. I would sit with him and do my pair for school.

I can smell the polish now reading this thread.
Aerides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #60
Those who mentioned the meditative quality of shining shoes made me remember a task I used to enjoy and haven't done in a long time: polishing silver. A chore relegated to the kids before big holiday meals, it was one of my favorites.

DH sent me pics from Morocco, one of a shoe shine he got on his ancient Ecco loafers and another of a street-side shave from a local barber. He loves getting haircuts and shaves when traveling, and no one has sliced him yet.

I used to polish my riding boots regularly, but hardly ever bother with my work shoes unless they get to looking terrible. Boss wears flip flops all summer, so I don't think he cares.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote