Join Early Retirement Today

Help: Roth Conversion with some After Tax content
Old 12-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help: Roth Conversion with some After Tax content

I have a traditional IRA, rolled over from employer 401K upon my retirement four years ago. My contributions were about 90% pre-tax and 10% after-tax. I have done my homework on converting to a ROTH IRA and know the mechanics, but I am unsure on how to calculate my tax bill.

Reading up, the IRS (since 2014) would now allow me to have transferred the 90% into traditional 401K and the 10% into a ROTH, but that didn't happen in 2012 when I did the transfer.

- Logically, I feel that I should owe taxes on 90% of the conversion, but I realize that I have also not paid taxes on the GROWTH of the 10% that went in after-tax. Looking back at my 401K statements, I'm not even sure how to calculate that amount.

Am I missing something?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not an expert, but I believe you are correct in your logic.

If you do the conversion this year, you should report your conversion on Form 8606 with your taxes next year. You would need your old 401(k) statements to be able to add up the after-tax contributions that you made (or your company may have sent you form 5498s with annual summaries of your after-tax contributions? Not sure about that.) The total of your after tax contributions should be put on line 2, and should ultimately reduce the percentage that shows up on line 11, that in turn should reduce the taxable portion of your conversion that ends up on line 18.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There should have been a form of some sort filed every year with the IRA. Like an 8606, but maybe a 401K is different?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. I do have my 401K statements, but I found myself scratching my head wondering why my IRA manager (Vanguard) isn't tracking what portion is after-tax.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard doesn't know because you rolled the money over from your 401(k).

You're responsible for keeping track of your basis. If you didn't save your paperwork from your 401(k), your best bet is probably to go back to your employer and ask them for that information.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Were the rollovers from 401k to IRAs done within the past 10 years?

If so, you can get IRS transcripts (the W2-1099 series) that will show you the 1099-rs for each year that you withdrew funds from your 401k. If you have kept all of the 1099-Rs that were issued from your 401k then you would not need to request the transcripts, but it still may be a good idea to verify that you did not miss any after-tax contributions.

The 401k provider will likely show the taxable amount (1099-R box 2a), which would be less than the full distribution 1099-r -Box 1, as well as your after-tax contributions (box 5) on the 1099-R . This all assumes that box 2b "Taxable amount not determined" is NOT checked.

This is the information that you will need to correctly complete IRS form 8606. Please read the instructions for 8606 carefully.

Even if 10% of your 401k contributions were after-tax, it is likely that your taxable amount of the 401k distributions will be more than 90% due to any growth in the account that has not been taxed yet.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

I did my 401k -> IRA transfer long before they offered to allow you to put some in a roth. I've done some since, but without after tax contributions. When I did my 401k->TIRA I documented the after tax contribution amount, but I'd have to dig out the old forms. You should get a 1099R when you go from 401k to TIRA that should help you fill out those amount.

So when I did a TIRA -> Roth conversion the taxable amount is determined by using the pro-rata portion of what has not been taxes. Growth on after tax contribution is not seen as being taxed.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

This is too late for you, but when I rolled a 401k to an IRA I was able to take the after tax contributions as a tax free lump sum. The manager of the 401k did the calcs, and I got a separate check, sent to me, and the 401k money went directly to the IRA account.

I agree that your former employer's 401k manager should be able to supply the needed info.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all. I do have the appropriate 1099 form from the 401k provider. I hadn't found it because I wasn't thinking to look for it!

Problem solved before I even had to make dinner. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
This is too late for you, but when I rolled a 401k to an IRA I was able to take the after tax contributions as a tax free lump sum. The manager of the 401k did the calcs, and I got a separate check, sent to me, and the 401k money went directly to the IRA account.

I agree that your former employer's 401k manager should be able to supply the needed info.
Might be even a better idea to roll the tax-free portion into a Roth IRA within 60 days if the tax free portion was significant and you don't need the funds currently.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Might be even a better idea to roll the tax-free portion into a Roth IRA within 60 days if the tax free portion was significant and you don't need the funds currently.

-gauss
You are correct, and I should have done that. At the time I did not have any Roth accounts, and did not investigate this option. I guess it is too late for me too.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis2 View Post
Thanks to all. I do have the appropriate 1099 form from the 401k provider. I hadn't found it because I wasn't thinking to look for it!

Problem solved before I even had to make dinner. Thanks again.
If you have any other TIRAs besides the rollover one, their values (and basis) must also be reflected on the 8606 since you are considered to have one big IRA, not individual accounts. Assuming no other basis, this would have the effect of increasing the taxable % even higher than the 90% (like the growth of
the after-tax portion).
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote