Join Early Retirement Today

Help this self-employed dude plan his exit strategy!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Help this self-employed dude plan his exit strategy!

Ok, here goes!
I'm 30 and self employed, have about 3,500 monthly "passive" income which could dry up slowly, but surely over the next few years if I don't tend to it. $400 of this passive income will be from interest from a very nice checking account setup. $100k cash, $10k life insurance/mutual funds setup and a paid off $125k house.

So, as a newbie on this front...what do I do? We are very frugal as a family. I would say we live off of around $2500 a month. Ultimately, I want to get to a point where we are financially independent and don't have to worry about much.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You say that your $3500/month passive income will surely dry up if you don't tend to it. So if you tend to that, then you'll easily meet your $2500/month needs and you're sitting pretty. It's hard to give any more advice without some more information like what the passive income is from, what's entailed in tending to it, and is that something you want to keep doing (tending), or do you want to get away from whatever that is?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is an online subscription service basically. Sometimes, people need help and sometimes, they will leave for cheaper alternatives or more people will come on. The makeup of this is from about 100 subscribers.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So people pay you an average of $35 a month for online "help"? Nice gig.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

there is more to it than that - I am being vague for a reason
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
there is more to it than that - I am being vague for a reason
Is this an invitation to PM you for spam more information?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

lol no folks please don't spam me!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is this an invitation to PM you for spam more information?
I have some extra I could send you also.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Without any more details, I'd guess most of your $3,500 is pretty tech-dependent. Some small change in technology or competitors could make it go away very quickly. Maybe I'm wrong, in that case, can you sell the business? I have no idea how someone gets $400 from a checking account unless you're playing bank.

I'd say your $100k won't cover your $2,500 monthly needs for long, so I'd plan on w**king quite a while longer. Invest the $1,000 of extra income each month and you'll get closer.