How are people handling the recent down market?

Got in too late for yesterday and too late for the droop in the morning today,but still made money buying emerging markets at $40.89 and having it close at $42.27. Now if we had bought more than a taste....

I moved 7% of my portfolio from bonds to equities at COB yesterday (about 70% US and 30% international). First time I market timed.

+1, but the 7% transfer brought be back to 60/40 from 53/47.

I guess in there is a nuance of a difference between rebalancing and market timing. My AA was more out of whack than it usually is and I did believe that the market overreacted so while my motivation was principally rebalancing I'll admit to a smidgen of market timing.

+1, but the 7% transfer brought be back to 60/40 from 53/47.

I guess in there is a nuance of a difference between rebalancing and market timing. My AA was more out of whack than it usually is and I did believe that the market overreacted so while my motivation was principally rebalancing I'll admit to a smidgen of market timing.
Mine took me to 66/44 when my target is 60/40 so I am a dirty old market timer in this case. When we get back up to 12K+ I will start moving back down to 60/40. If we plummet way down further I will have to evaluate whether I want to go to 70/30 -- I was there until the spring highs.

Mine took me to 66/44 when my target is 60/40 so I am a dirty old market timer in this case. When we get back up to 12K+ I will start moving back down to 60/40. If we plummet way down further I will have to evaluate whether I want to go to 70/30 -- I was there until the spring highs.

Wow, that's one heck of a return! No wonder you're going to start day trading...
I guess I shouldn't be gambling like this if I am so challenged by numbers. :) My 7% exchange took me from ~59/41 to 66/34, not 66/44. :facepalm:

I am thinking of buying a $20k municipal bond in the next couple of weeks. Is anyone else buying munis ?

I am thinking of buying a $20k municipal bond in the next couple of weeks. Is anyone else buying munis ?
Not now -- I don't want bonds when interest rates are low. But I did buy some Hawaii municipal bonds back in the day, since the interest was also exempt from Hawaii income tax. Pretty good deal, I thought, at the time.

Not out of balance (enough) yet on my AA. Yesterday got pretty close. Today's recovery took rebalancing now back off the table.

I will get a chance later this year if we keep going down. Otherwise I will have missed a short window where equities were seriously on sale.

All my investments are in mutual funds so I am dependent on what happens at the end of the trading day, not during market hours.

Audrey

I bought some XIU.TO and XDV.TO after the market (TSX) dropped 1,200 points. I chickened out at the bottom. Oh, well, maybe someday (hopefully soon) it will be a good decision.

Is easy... I use Quicken software to track my portfolio, and updated my computer to Mac OS 10.7.

What downturn?

(tick... tick... tick...)

Is easy... I use Quicken software to track my portfolio, and updated my computer to Mac OS 10.7.

What downturn?

(tick... tick... tick...)

That's pretty subtle M Paquette (if you mean you can no longer run Quicken because of the OS upgrade. I don't think I'll be upgrading)

That was unclemick... :LOL:

No - It was Bogle aka Mr. B

So for $12 parking fee I can drive to the Missouri Western Campus in St Jo north of KC and watch a night scrimage of the Chiefs. Or a walk though during the day if the market gets really scary.

:D

heh heh heh - :greetings10: The thrills and chills could continue for a while. Hmmm - Mr Market or football - that is the question. Whether it is nobler ---- :confused:.

Surprise...Surprise. Dow is now down 430 points. Again, Don't do something, just stand there.

Back
Top Bottom