How long did you plan for?

Ready for the new rejuvination process they will develop in 2041.

I remember reading a science fiction story about that with a twist, in that he wrote about the effect on DB pension plans, the administrators of which collectively said "Oh, dear!" (or stronger words to that effect).

Since I have a DB pension with COLA's, I'd have to chuckle at the reaction of my former employer.:LOL: Yeah, just to "get them" I wanna live for 2,000 years....

I remember reading a science fiction story about that with a twist, in that he wrote about the effect on DB pension plans, the administrators of which collectively said "Oh, dear!" (or stronger words to that effect).
Who wrote that story? It's an interesting challenge. I looked around, but couldn't find it. My first suspects were J. T. McIntosh and Larry Niven.

Who wrote that story? It's an interesting challenge. I looked around, but couldn't find it. My first suspects were J. T. McIntosh and Larry Niven.

I was trying to remember but can't. It was a long time ago (20+ years) that I read it and it wasn't the main thrust of the story anyway, just a page or two.

Obituary in today's paper for a woman who lived to 105, her older siblings lived to 104 and 110. So I'm thinking genetics really do matter.

DW is Japanese, thus longevity in her genes and in her upbringing, so 100 is the age we plan for.

That said, neither of us thinks we will make it that long. I'm thinking about 85 for me, and perhaps another 5-10 beyond that for her (we are the same age). Also, we saw something on TV the other day that was kind of shocking. There was a 90 something old lady who was being cared for by her 70 something daughter. The 90 plus year old had not been out of bed for 5 plus years, and had not eaten solid food for 4 plus years, as she was too weak to eat, feeding being accomplished by way of a drip tube strung thru her nose. I know there is another thread going on about this topic, but while I would be happy to live to 95 or 100 if I was able to lead a relatively active, relatively self sufficient life, I certainly don't want my 70-75 year old son or daughter to have to care for me like that for so long. While I cannot justify suicide (religiously speaking, and I know others believe differently), I would hope that when the time comes, my family will let me go instead of putting us all thru that kind of misery.

R

My plan is set to go to 100 for DW and myself. Current course and speed, my children and grandchildren (depending upon how much my kids 'celebrate') will be thanking us.

I keep on thinking I should get that corvette, before I get too old to drive a muscle car (60 now). I do need to replace my current car (98 BMer), so I might have to wait a bit for my childhood 'dream car'. I am thinking I can't wait too long though. However, one does get into the habit of LBYM and that kinda prevents me from being so extravagant.

... but that's my problem:blush:

Hmmmm...the ultimate question...:cool:

Ponce de Leon surely gave it a good try back in his time. ;)

I use 85 for my "pushing daisies" age. I was born in 1958, so I just reversed the digits. Other than resorting to pixie dust and/or finding some good incantations online, who knows? :confused:

I also used 85, though my limited first hand experience says that much of what lies past 75 reminds of a line from My Generation by The Who: "Hope I die before get old". Still, I've planned to have sufficient money when happily surprised at how inaccurate that sentiment is.

One grandmother made it to 103, her son passed at 83 and my mother at 43. No idea how to predict life expectancy from that.

I plan to 95. That means 48 years in retirement since I intend to leave in 2012 when I turn 47.

DW is Japanese, thus longevity in her genes and in her upbringing, so 100 is the age we plan for.

That said, neither of us thinks we will make it that long. I'm thinking about 85 for me, and perhaps another 5-10 beyond that for her (we are the same age). Also, we saw something on TV the other day that was kind of shocking. There was a 90 something old lady who was being cared for by her 70 something daughter. The 90 plus year old had not been out of bed for 5 plus years, and had not eaten solid food for 4 plus years, as she was too weak to eat, feeding being accomplished by way of a drip tube strung thru her nose. I know there is another thread going on about this topic, but while I would be happy to live to 95 or 100 if I was able to lead a relatively active, relatively self sufficient life, I certainly don't want my 70-75 year old son or daughter to have to care for me like that for so long. While I cannot justify suicide (religiously speaking, and I know others believe differently), I would hope that when the time comes, my family will let me go instead of putting us all thru that kind of misery.

R
I plan for 100. Both of my parents and two aunts have reached the mid-80's so far and my oldest aunt will turn 90 next spring. A cousin of my dad's died last year shortly after her 100th birthday. I don't know if I will actually make the century mark but it seems well within the realm of possibility given the lifespans of my nearest relatives. They have now all outlived their parents and I don't know why I would not do so as well.

I don't know why we should assume that the aged mother you describe is miserable. I don't remember who it is but IIRC there is a frequent commenter here at E-R whose mother lived to a similar age, and though she was quite frail and had limited physical abilities, on the whole she was still glad to be alive. I too would have religious qualms about committing suicide. But if I wanted to keep myself awake nights thinking about the dire fates that might befall me in old age, I think I'd worry about people assuming I was miserable and withholding food and water from me, just because I was frail and limited. I'm not particularly afraid that I might live longer than I expect to, unless I was also in chronic pain.

I am planning out to age 97 for DW and I, but we hope we both go poof long, long before then...80 would be plenty.

I am guessing you aren't 79.....:D

Anyway, I am planning to 100. If I make that far, I expect someone else to take over and start worrying about supporting me......

Since it's basically pensions, my plan goes forever, or until a pension plan default, a catastrophic illness, or hyperinflation.

Same here.

I bought longevity insurance from Smith & Wesson.

There are less sudden ways to accomplish the same thing. I was planning on eating bacon morning noon and night starting at about age 65. That should finish me off around 80. Will adjust as necessary.

Don't think my body can last till 100. 90 is stretching it, I think. I also think that the older generation (those who are 70 -100 years old now) have a better chance of a long and healthy life as they were less exposed to chemicals and pollution in their younger days. Nowadays, we grow and develop in a fast food world with higher pollution in the food we eat, water we drink and air we breathe. So, even if we have good genes, we may not necessarily live longer.

Naw, that stuff only makes us stronger. Were living longer because of that stuff, not despite it.

Since I have a DB pension with COLA's, I'd have to chuckle at the reaction of my former employer.:LOL: Yeah, just to "get them" I wanna live for 2,000 years....

I used to joke that I wanted to be kept alive at all costs so I could receive my pension for as long as possible. If they make a machine, hook me up to it.

Yes, I realize I made contradictory statements above. So what?:LOL:

kyounge1956 said:
I plan for 100. Both of my parents and two aunts have reached the mid-80's so far and my oldest aunt will turn 90 next spring. A cousin of my dad's died last year shortly after her 100th birthday. I don't know if I will actually make the century mark but it seems well within the realm of possibility given the lifespans of my nearest relatives. They have now all outlived their parents and I don't know why I would not do so as well.

I don't know why we should assume that the aged mother you describe is miserable. I don't remember who it is but IIRC there is a frequent commenter here at E-R whose mother lived to a similar age, and though she was quite frail and had limited physical abilities, on the whole she was still glad to be alive. I too would have religious qualms about committing suicide. But if I wanted to keep myself awake nights thinking about the dire fates that might befall me in old age, I think I'd worry about people assuming I was miserable and withholding food and water from me, just because I was frail and limited. I'm not particularly afraid that I might live longer than I expect to, unless I was also in chronic pain.

Sorry, did not mean to imply "she" was miserable (or that someone else would be). What I meant is that "I" would be miserable if I was nearing 100 years of age AND I could not move, I was sustained by a tube thru the nose, and I soiled myself because I could not get out of bed to do otherwise. I would not want to endure that for an extended period. Sorry if I was less than clear about that. If I was still pretty mobile and able to take care most of the basics like eating etc it would be a very different discussion.

R

I used 90 for DW and 85 for me. That's extremely conservative as most have expired by 75 on DW's side and 70 on my side, even younger on the male side for me.

I plan for 80 or having someone change my diapers. Whichever comes first.:LOL: I'll be grateful to living healthy lift till I'm 75 or 76 and die in my sleep with money left to my kids and ex-wives because I planned for 80.

Now you just have to hope they don't go out of business before you need to pull the trigger on your policy...
And that he only has to pull the trigger once...

Wow, you all seem to have good genes with relatives living up to or above 100.
Well, for us Methuselah wannabes the thought of "work until you die" makes ER especially compelling.

The 90 plus year old had not been out of bed for 5 plus years, and had not eaten solid food for 4 plus years, as she was too weak to eat, feeding being accomplished by way of a drip tube strung thru her nose. I know there is another thread going on about this topic, but while I would be happy to live to 95 or 100 if I was able to lead a relatively active, relatively self sufficient life, I certainly don't want my 70-75 year old son or daughter to have to care for me like that for so long.
Sorry, did not mean to imply "she" was miserable (or that someone else would be). What I meant is that "I" would be miserable if I was nearing 100 years of age AND I could not move, I was sustained by a tube thru the nose, and I soiled myself because I could not get out of bed to do otherwise. I would not want to endure that for an extended period. Sorry if I was less than clear about that. If I was still pretty mobile and able to take care most of the basics like eating etc it would be a very different discussion.
After reflecting more on this discussion, I think I'd have to defer to Stephen Hawking's example. He seems to have led a pretty productive life...

We are planning on going to 100. Annual physicals, healthy(ier) eating, exercise when I can remember, no smoking, ... the (more than) occasional drink ... lottsa sleep (FIREd almost 4 years). At 60, we are in fairly good shape (knock on wood). So that's the plan.

An aside: I was talking to my SIL brother (a doctor) at dinner the other day and he said that the upcoming generation of kids look like they will not have longer longevity than their parents generation in America. This is because of the obesity epidemic that is going on here. ... I hadn't thought about that before, but this make sense. ... BE FOREWARNED!

And that he only has to pull the trigger once...

Well, for us Methuselah wannabes the thought of "work until you die" makes ER especially compelling.

After reflecting more on this discussion, I think I'd have to defer to Stephen Hawking's example. He seems to have led a pretty productive life...

If Dr Hawking wants to go on living, that's his prerogative. I have mine.

We planned to about 93, which my dad lived to see. Our other parents died from 63 to 89. I hope to live until my late 80's but then I have a chronic disease that could kick in at some time and affect my longevity. My husband's family has a history of cancer and earlier deaths in it, so he gets all his screenings each year. Forecasting your longevity feels too much like gambling.

forever

Pick one - the first I think(memory?) were from older IRS/RMD/single beneficiary/?insurance type tables. The last assumes a 60/40 'policy portfolio' funded lifestyle.

Now that I quit(age63) smoking, chewing and bad homemade liquor.

Drink yucky stuff like water, exercise, eat nuts and twigs to keep my chloresterol and BP down.

:D :dance: except when I slip and party.

heh heh heh - people in my family didn't live really long - sometimes from coloring outside the line - so to speak. Since I was a Boy Scout - anything beyond 84 is lagniappe. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom