How much?

As a % of your ER nestegg, what would it take to get you back to work for 5 years?

• 10% (or less) of my portfolio, per year

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 25% of my portfolio, per year

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • 50% of my portfolio, per year

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 100% of my portfolio, per year

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 200% (or more) of my portfolio, per year

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • No way, won't happen, fuggitaboutit

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • I'm still working -- n/a

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Some interesting discussions on high incomes lately, and I got to thinking... what would it take to get you to agree to go back to work for a 5 year stint?

I'll answer in the poll and "in public" -- short of a catastrophe, my reply is "no way". I'll work hard in volunteer stuff and for fun, but can't imagine going back for money.

Dory36, or whoever I am today

500 million after taxes - I'm cheap and I 'can' be bought!

On second thought - without a ticket to the billionaires club - forget it. Life's too short and I'm not getting any younger.

dory3n said:
Some interesting discussions on high incomes lately, and I got to thinking... what would it take to get you to agree to go back to work for a 5 year stint?

I'll answer in the poll and "in public" -- short of a catastrophe, my reply is "no way". I'll work hard in volunteer stuff and for fun, but can't imagine going back for money.

Dory36, or whoever I am today

Won't ever happen. No conceivable circumstances, including financial
reverses.

JG

Since I'm not there yet, but only 5 (count 'em, 5) days from retirement, I'm not sure what it would take to make me go back to work. But I can give you a real life example of what it took to get me to delay my retirement.

Asked if I would postpone my date of departure two months if I was paid for three, I declined. No way was I willing to stay that long. But I did agree to meet them halfway and postpone 4 weeks if paid for 6. I'll clear enough to pay for a Carribbean cruise plus a small stash of mad money. And I wouldn't really define what I've been doing for the past three weeks as work. Attitute, Attitude! :D

REW

Heh ... if you work for one of those companies that makes Dilbert seem like he missed the good stuff, what happens is they get you to stay a while to make sure your replacement is up to speed . . . then they delay naming your replacement until too late to do anything useful before you leave.

I gave several month's notice (only because it took that long to arrange furniture shipment from overseas), and probably spent 20 minutes in that exercise before I was gone.

dory3n said:
Heh ... if you work for one of those companies that makes Dilbert seem like he missed the good stuff, what happens is they get you to stay a while to make sure your replacement is up to speed . . . then they delay naming your replacement until too late to do anything useful before you leave.

I gave several month's notice (only because it took that long to arrange furniture shipment from overseas), and probably spent 20 minutes in that exercise before I was gone.

Amazing. I gave four months notice and agreed to delay my departure an additional month to provide a transition to my successor. With 5 working days to go, no replacement for me has yet been named.... :-\

Dilbert, are you getting this?

REW

5 years is way too long a time horizon, when I retire I'm thinking 6 months = $1 million and it goes up like the Richter scale from there (1 year = $10 million, 18 months = $100 million). I'll own a home I love free and clear in one of the best places in the world (san diego). What could money give me at that point?

And another thing :)...................I wouldn't go back for ONE YEAR either,
not doing what I was doing before retirement, and not for any amount of money.

JG

I'm still working as well, but no way I would extend my career beyond my target retirement date. Just back from vacation this morning and I am soooooo depressed. Destin FL was very nice. Wish I had a real fat portfolio so I could  buy a condo there. Now if I extended my retirement date another couple of years...........nah. Better stick to my cabin on the lake plans.  8)

I'll give one more year for 10%. After that, no more. Five years? You have to be kidding.

Confession time - I actually took a temp job for a year at the old plant after two years in ER - 130% of old salary - lasted a year(surprised me) - THAT REALLY CURED ME - I'd like to believe I made a few converts to the ER idea while there - but maybe that's just rationalizing - did attend my boss's retirement party a year later(early out at 55).

REWanabe said:
Amazing. I gave four months notice and agreed to delay my departure an additional month to provide a transition to my successor. With 5 working days to go, no replacement for me has yet been named.... :-\

Dilbert, are you getting this?

REW

Did they give you any more money for your staying the additional time?

dex said:
Did they give you any more money for your staying the additional time?

dex, I'm getting "time and a half" for the added four weeks. As an annual run rate, that equates to 15% of my portfolio.

With 4 days remaining, still no replacement named... :p

REW, 4 (count 'em, 4) days to eR!!

Laurence said:
REW, this had to have been your favorite work Monday ever. :)

Yep, that statement pretty much sums it up. It was the only Monday at work I can ever recall actually enjoying. But I can't say the same for my very envious co-workers. :D

REW

Are you wearing pants to work this week? I was going to go pantsless to see how that worked out, but ended up with shorts, a hawaiian shirt and flip flops as a compromise.

Got laid off over 1 month ago and maybe it's a little to early to voice an opinion but I was unable to even contemplate the idea of working 5 more years.
Even though I haven't done much with my free time so far, it feels great doing nothing away from work. :D

:confused:

You dont know me said:
Are you wearing pants to work this week? I was going to go pantsless to see how that worked out, but ended up with shorts, a hawaiian shirt and flip flops as a compromise.

I'm wearing pants, but no underwear. Can't wear shorts without underwear due to a problem I was hung with in my very early teen years. ;)

REW

REWanabe said:
I'm wearing pants, but no underwear.  Can't wear shorts without underwear due to a problem I was hung with in my very early teen years. ;)

REW

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode "Kramerism". "I'm out there Jerry,
and I'm lovin' it! :)

JG

??? said:
Got laid off over 1 month ago and maybe it's a little to early to voice an opinion but I was unable to even contemplate the idea of working 5 more years.
Even though I haven't done much with my free time so far, it feels great doing nothing away from work. :D

:confused:

Got laid off at the end of 2003 ... I realized, if not now, when?

I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back to work.

Sparky

unclemick2 said:
That's how I got started in ER - layed off at 49, Jan 1993.

Best thing that ever happened to me... laid off in 2003 at 44. Shocking at first ... now happily ER'd.

Sparky

Back
Top Bottom