How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a day??

How old are you and how much pills (prescription or not) do you take a day??

• none

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • 1-2 pills

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • 3-4 pills

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • 5-6 pilss

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • more than 6

Votes: 21 19.1%

• Total voters

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
all,

i just past the big 40 and feeling old and sick. Currently taking

2 prescriptions
4 supplements

approximate total cost

$345.00 per month without insurance
or $55 month with insurance

enuff

can't afford to get sick

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a da

oh

btw, i forgot to includes the typical advil, tylenol, ibeprofen and cough drops that are the "normal" stuffs that we use frequently when needed.

enuff

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a day??

Age 63. Blood pressure plus a multivitamin. Blood pressure is a $8 genaric(30 days) and the vitamin is a no name copy of Centum - both from Walmart.

Doc says if I stay off the cigs and start to exercise more - the bp pill might go.

heh heh heh - lazy, lazy lazy.

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a day??

Age 52. 18 pils/day (post kidney transplant).

~$2K/mo w/o insurance. ~$100/mo. with insurance.

I just got a prescription filled for the first time in my life (I'm 48) last weekend. It was painkiller for the aftermath of a root canal. I did not know the proper protocol in the drugstore and stood in the wrong line. Then, it took forever to straighten out the payment on the phone with the insurance company. I think they make it difficult on purpose, so that you will just give up and pay it yourself. Thankfully, the young pharmacist was patient with both me and the insurance company, but the people in line behind me were none too pleased. I'm hoping for another 48 prescription-free years after this.

52. Take 1 multivitamin/mineral a day. Every other day, take a small aspirin and a saw palmetto capsule. Averages out to 2 pills per day. No daily prescriptions (yet). At about this age, my father got gout, but no sign of that yet for me.

Then, it took forever to straighten out the payment on the phone with the insurance company. I think they make it difficult on purpose, so that you will just give up and pay it yourself.

In my experience, this is pretty common (50% of the time?) when you change insurance companies or first use your insurance at a pharmacy. I think the motive is less vile than you suggest -- the insurance company is being cautious about giving out money, and the cost to you and others (time) is nothing to them.

I'm 58, and until recently had never taken any pills daily. Now, my doctor has me on cholesterol meds.

Since I have to remember to take that one pill, I decided to also do something nice for myself, and take a multivitamin at the same time of day.

One thing about prescriptions - - sometimes they can actually extend life. I'd love to be immortal but since that isn't realistic, having a longer life is a good substitute dream. My mother is 97.5 and still enjoying each day of her life.

Age 56 - 2 generic prescriptions (blood pressure and GERD). $10 apiece for a 90 days supply with insurance.

1 over-50 multi, 2g fish oil, 1g vit C, occasional ibuprofen...

52 (and a half)

I'll soon be 64 (sigh!) and have recently changed medications due to a heart operation in January - replaced mitral valve, no blockages, no stents, no heart damage. Currently taking

3 prescriptions
1 a day coumadin - 3.75 mg/day $4/mo
2 a day bp control - $4/mo
1 a day cholesterol control - $12/mo after insurance
2 supplements
2 a day saw palmetto look alike - $7/mo
1 a day generic multivitamin $2/mo

approximate total cost

$:confused: per month without insurance
or $29 month with insurance -

Actually, the cholesterol med (Advicor) is a combination of a generic supplement (Niacin) and an out of patent cholesterol med (lovastatin) so could be substituted for $4/mo or less each and save maybe $4/mo if I wanted to argue with the Dr. to save the Ins co a little hassle.

JohnP

age 50 and 1/12

prescriptions: glaucoma drops 2.5 ml bottle for $70. about 60 drops. i remember to use it about every other day. script reads every day but nerve damage has stabilized utilitizing my own dosage. cost is about $500/year. even though i've had this for about 5 years, the insurance company which has covered me for almost 20 years declared this pre-existing when i switched from group to private. so i can't even write the money off yearly deductibles.

supplements (usually taken once a day):
solgar omega 3 "700" $.33 a pop
solgar formula v multiple vitamins with chelated minerals $.21 a pop
solgar chromium picolinate $.10 a pop
country life cla tonalin (conjugated linoleic acid) $.15 a pop
whole foods alpha lipoic acid ~$.20 a pop

Boy you struck a nerve with me Enuff! I'm 46 and until last year never took anything! It really pisses me off to feel like an old lady. Just this week I went and bought one of those stupid weekly containers, because I got so tired of opening 9 bottles every morning!

Now I take :

::::dumping out to count:::::

13 pills a day. (2 of some of these)

Prescriptions:

1. Hydroxychlorquine - to supress my hyperactive immune system.
2. Acyclovir - to supress cold sores, which activate my hyperactive immune system.
3. Gabapentin to control pain from attack of hyperactive immune system on nerves
4. Occasionally prednisone - to repress attacks of hpyeractive immune system.

With insurance: $15 co-pay for each = $45/mo. Without - probably around $400 - haven't added it up but I know the pain pills retail for $150.

Non-prescription:

1. 325 of aspirin to thin blood
2. Omega 3
3. B-complex
4. Calcium
5. Multivitamin

No idea of the cost there - SO shares some of them - we probably spend $100/mo. on vitamins and supplements.

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a da

54 yo

take multivitamin, saw palmetto (keeps the prostate size down), 80mg aspirin, garlic cap, and 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide (prescription diuretic for bp).

I fully expect to be able to lose the prescription soon once I ER in August, but we'll see.

Zero, zip, nada, age 37. Cost $0.

I have been on various long duration meds in the past and will be on a cholesterol-lowering medication if I don't lose weight/exercise.

2Cor521

I'm screwed on the number in the poll by taking 4 fish oil pills a day :(

Throw in a vitamin, couple of alleve when needed, a claritin when needed, and a lunesta and I feel like a walking pharmacy.

53, only take multivitamin, and considering not taking that. In general I feel less old than I did at around age 48, don't know why. It may be that although I've always exercised (run, bike), now I do some more strenuous exercise (surf, chop wood), or that there's less stress in my life:confused:

I also had this minor epiphany a few years ago: I realized that often, when I was thinking or saying "Man, I feel old," I had either had a few glasses of wine or had just climbed a bunch of stairs. In other words, I was interpreting a temporary and understandable feeling of tiredness as a global all-the-time tiredness caused by old age.

Age 37, oops - currently 36! (37 is next month!)

1 BP pill - compliments of the VA
1 multi vitamin - $15-$20 for the gargantuan bottle - lasts about 4 mos

Feeling younger than a few years ago too!

TromboneAl said:
I realized that often, when I was thinking or saying "Man, I feel old," I had either had a few glasses of wine or had just climbed a bunch of stairs.

Note that I've never felt bad while sitting in a chair, watching tv, and eating a bowl of ice cream.

We should try an experiment Al...try drinking twice as much wine and then avoid the stairs. Report back on the results when you get a chance?

Just turned 60 .2 pills for BP and 2 inhalers for asthma.

My Vote Included All Pills

51 here. My vote includes all pills/tablets I take, which can really affect the overall number. I take the 81 mg. aspirin (for heart protection, per my doctor who recommends it for all his patients once they reach the age of 50), 2 1,000 mg. omega-3 tablets, 2 1,500 mg. glucosamine tablets, two doses of fiber (not a "pill", but I can take it in that form if I want to), and anywhere from 1 to 3 Advil tablets, depending on how my joints feel that day. None of those are prescriptions. Developing arthritis can do that to you. :p

50 here and only take a multivitamin when I remember.

Maybe this is why I am so grumpy. I just turned 60 and I take in the range of 21 pills a day including both Rx and OTC:

Multivitamin
B Complex x 2 - for leg cramps
Vitamin C - 500mg X 3
Neurontin 400 mg X 3 (for nerve pain)
Vicodin 5/500 x 2 for back pain
Ultram ER 300 mg - back pain
Tylenol 500 mg x 2 x 2 - back pain
Toprol XL 25 mg - High BP
Zocor 40 mg - High cholesterol
Nexium 40 mg - Reflux
Claritin - allergy

Health issues were a big motivator for me to ER. Unfortunately, my various ailments make it difficult to enjoy the activities I would like to participate in.

Grumpy

all,

so now we all see why the pharmacy and supplement companies are making a KILLING, yes i really mean KILLING me financially and my body at the same time.

next life, major in medicine not engineering.

enuff,

29 - Taking 2 pills a day for acid reflux (Only needed on work days)

58 and take 3 prescriptions - gout, cholesterol. A bunch of vitamins since I don't eat veggies. Glucosamine/Chondroitin for the joints (I know the studies say it doesn't work, but it helped my dog). But I don't view 58 as old and deteriorating. I just returned from a snowboarding session with my son (33). It was great. Of course, he hadn't been out at all this year, while I have been out weekly and he still blew by me - but that's great in a way too.

Back
Top Bottom