Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How things have changed!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Diablo Valley (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,208
How things have changed!

I was invited to 2 baby showers for nephews this summer. Both wanted me to just send checks. Didn't. Used to be a luncheon at someone's home with games, small gifts (outfit / diapers / or toy), food. And that was only 21 years ago
__________________

gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 335
I feel the same way about "registering" for gifts for a wedding or new baby. I guess I'm old school, but having the recipient say "get me this" kind of takes away from the "gift" aspect for me. There's no creativity, no feeling behind the gift, and it's usually stuff I wouldn't have chosen in the first place. Not to mention most registered items tend to be on the expensive side. "We're getting married so buy us this diamond crested gold platter set with matching ruby rimmed glasses." Oh, is that all...

When we got married we got two sets of ugly ceramic plates and we were thrilled to have them. Even though we didn't choose any of the gifts we were were given, we still use many of them today (32 years later). Yeah, some people gave us cash and we appreciated it, but those gifts didn't leave a lasting memory with us. And yes, we received several things we didn't like or had no use for (three toasters), but they still meant a lot to us.

Granted, we were just starting out and didn't really have anything. So any gift was good, even if we didn't like it. They served a purpose until we could afford to get something better later on. These days many couples are older and likely live together so they probably already have everything they need. However, I still don't see that as an excuse to ask for expensive items you've always wanted but couldn't afford on your own.

"Five of the eight linen napkins we registered for. So thoughtful, thank you."
__________________

mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ojochal
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I was invited to 2 baby showers for nephews this summer. Both wanted me to just send checks. Didn't. Used to be a luncheon at someone's home with games, small gifts (outfit / diapers / or toy), food. And that was only 21 years ago
I'm puzzled. Were there actual invitations sent for these baby showers, or just a plea for $$?
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
davebarnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Berkeley, Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 277
What is a check?
__________________
Dave Barnes
Old (69.8) Fart Nerd
AA 86/7/7, WR <1.0%, still working 2 hrs/day
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Deep South Bay
Posts: 729
My mom sent a check to her granddaughter for Christmas a few years back and didn’t get a call or a card or any kind of thank you, the next month she looks at her canceled check and in the memo line was “Thank You” from my niece, how tacky is that?
__________________
Fired at 39 in 2009 with less than $300k in total net worth, current net worth 1.7mil
97guns is online now   Reply With Quote
How things have changed!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 36
How things have changed!

I'm relieved when someone just wants cash/check as a gift. It makes things a lot easier. Everyone is drowning in crap nowadays. People mostly want to spend money on a dinner out than get a hideous China set that gets used once a year.
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Deep South Bay
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatatuPuncher View Post
I'm relieved when someone just wants cash/check as a gift. It makes things a lot easier. Everyone is drowning in crap nowadays. People mostly want to spend money on a dinner out than get a hideous China set that gets used once a year.

It’s totally not appropriate to tell your guest what to give, if someone tells me to buy them something, or bring something for dinner I’ll give/bring them the opposite. If you show no class towards me your gonna get it right back
__________________
Fired at 39 in 2009 with less than $300k in total net worth, current net worth 1.7mil
97guns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
My mom sent a check to her granddaughter for Christmas a few years back and didn’t get a call or a card or any kind of thank you, the next month she looks at her canceled check and in the memo line was “Thank You” from my niece, how tacky is that?
Yup, that's pretty tacky. Hope Mom learned a lesson there and stopped sending her a check.
__________________
Old enough to know better.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Deep South Bay
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Yup, that's pretty tacky. Hope Mom learned a lesson there and stopped sending her a check.

Nope, mom is a softy, she gets walked on every year
__________________
Fired at 39 in 2009 with less than $300k in total net worth, current net worth 1.7mil
97guns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
cooch96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 588
Gift giving among adults is one of those cultural norms I just find bizarre. It makes sense to give gifts to children or the poor as they cannot buy things themselves. But I have my own money, if there is something I want, I’ll get it. Thus, very nearly 100% of the gifts I receive are things I already own or junk I never wanted.

The relentless materialism of the holidays wears on me. And I feel it cheapens what the festivities should really be about.

I patiently, sometimes bluntly, explain to everyone that if they must get me a gift, make a donation to a charity in my name; it’ll save me a trip to Goodwill. It’s taken about two decades, but now only DF sends regular packages of things I have no use for. DW also gives me gifts regularly, but I think it’s mostly to satisfy her own love of wrapping paper and ribbons.

Rant over. Slightly more on point: I don’t think there is anything much tackier than a young couple asking for a $250 spice rack. I’d rather they just pass a hat around at the wedding labeled “honeymoon” or “student loans” even.
__________________
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What is a check?

Still write one per month.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
Philliefan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I feel the same way about "registering" for gifts for a wedding or new baby. I guess I'm old school, but having the recipient say "get me this" kind of takes away from the "gift" aspect for me. There's no creativity, no feeling behind the gift, and it's usually stuff I wouldn't have chosen in the first place. Not to mention most registered items tend to be on the expensive side. "We're getting married so buy us this diamond crested gold platter set with matching ruby rimmed glasses." Oh, is that all...

When we got married we got two sets of ugly ceramic plates and we were thrilled to have them. Even though we didn't choose any of the gifts we were were given, we still use many of them today (32 years later). Yeah, some people gave us cash and we appreciated it, but those gifts didn't leave a lasting memory with us. And yes, we received several things we didn't like or had no use for (three toasters), but they still meant a lot to us.

Granted, we were just starting out and didn't really have anything. So any gift was good, even if we didn't like it. They served a purpose until we could afford to get something better later on. These days many couples are older and likely live together so they probably already have everything they need. However, I still don't see that as an excuse to ask for expensive items you've always wanted but couldn't afford on your own.

"Five of the eight linen napkins we registered for. So thoughtful, thank you."
Interesting. I like it when there is a gift registry. I would much rather give a gift that I know the couple will appreciate, than try to guess what they like. While you appreciated the two sets of ugly ceramic plates that you received, wouldn't it have been nicer to appreciate a set of dishes that you actually enjoyed? Instead of three toasters, wouldn't it have been nicer to get one toaster, a rolling pin, and a blender?

The nieces and nephews have been getting married and having babies over the past seven years. I purchase bridal shower gifts from the registry, we give a check for the wedding. Sometimes the other aunts and I pitch in for one of the large registry items, such as a $300 cookware set. Some items on the registries have been low-cost items such as cooking utensils, which made it possible for my own DD's (at the time, students with relatively little $ to spend on gifts) to find a suitable gift.

My go-to gift for baby showers for family members is a hand-made baby quilt. I've been able to keep up with the demand so far.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
VanWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brighton
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What is a check?
__________________
Retired May 13th(Friday) 2016 at age 61.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ojochal
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
The relentless materialism of the holidays wears on me. And I feel it cheapens what the festivities should really be about.
+1

DW & I worship at The Church Of Stop Shopping.
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Diablo Valley (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,208
Candrew : they were evite invitations
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ojochal
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Candrew : they were evite invitations
DS received a similar baby shower evite that was a request for $$. No actual "baby shower" event that one would traditionally expect. Merely a request for a minimum $50 contribution to junior's 529C that Mom & Dad had set-up.

Like you, DS opted out of making a contribution.
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado
The Cosmic Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What is a check?
Like Venmo, but I think you have to use papyrus and a quill pen.

Seriously though, I find registries very convenient, but I still think they shouldn't be distributed with the invitation. If the invitees want to know, they can ask the family or even the inviters if necessary. Including registry information in the invitation is basically begging for (or worse, demanding) gifts, and true gifts are not required in exchange for admission to a party. If you'd rather have a gift from someone instead of having them attend your party, you're not a friend, you're a user. I would always prefer my friends show up and attend our weddings/birthdays/graduations rather than get us anything.

[/rant]
__________________
Looking to fatFIRE in the mid-2020s, which would be our mid-50s.
The Cosmic Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Gift giving among adults is one of those cultural norms I just find bizarre... I have my own money, if there is something I want, I’ll get it.
I agree. Birthdays and holidays always stress me out. I know I'm expected to buy them something, even though I know they already have everything they need. I also cringe knowing I'm going to receive a bunch of stuff I didn't really want and have to act appreciative when I get it.

Like you, I would rather just buy the things I want whenever I need them throughout the year. Though honestly at 54 years old there's not much I need anymore.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I would much rather give a gift that I know the couple will appreciate, than try to guess what they like. While you appreciated the two sets of ugly ceramic plates that you received, wouldn't it have been nicer to appreciate a set of dishes that you actually enjoyed? Instead of three toasters, wouldn't it have been nicer to get one toaster, a rolling pin, and a blender?
Sure, it would have been nice to receive items we wanted, though to be honest we didn't really know what we needed when we started out. We were young. And I still think the gifts we received were more meaningful because the giver chose them themselves.

For example, we received a small food processor from my sister-in-law. At the time I didn't even know what a food processor was or what I would use it for. I certainly wouldn't have put it on a gift registry. But once we had it we used it a lot and still enjoy it to this day.

And yes, we got a really nice marble rolling pin. We still enjoy it today, but I didn't know I wanted one when we got married.

Then were items like the mop and broom, laundry baskets, hangers, etc. Simple things I wouldn't have thought to put on a registry, but in our first apartment those simple items were some of our most used gifts. I'm sure the younger me would have chosen some really oddball items for a registry instead of items that we would really use day to day.

It was a different time and a different situation. Today's older couples living together aren't going to want a broom or laundry basket, but we loved them and remember the people that thought enough to give them to us.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,239
Type of gift aside, isn't part of the problem here no event?

I thought millennials were all about "experiences." There's no experience here. What, they don't want to rub elbows with old people?

To me, that's the main problem here. They just want a text message and some cash. Don't want to actually have to spend time with their relatives.
__________________

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking back at my intro thread; how things have changed ER Eddie Other topics 3 08-06-2018 09:43 AM
My, how things have changed Z3Dreamer Other topics 19 10-27-2017 06:33 PM
10 things that changed after ER MuirWannabe Life after FIRE 42 07-03-2017 09:49 PM
Times have changed for auto industry Khan Other topics 12 03-28-2008 09:50 AM
(How) Have you changed your portfolio peggy FIRE and Money 43 12-05-2007 02:33 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.