I cannot express how.....

$18-22K for a months work seemed worth it...

For that kind of cash, I'd go back to my Megacorp for a month and sit at my desk - surfing the RE forum, heh, heh. Talk about getting paid by the post!!:whistle:

23 months left, so too long to do a countdown calendar yet. I sure wish I was closer...
I'm still a little over two years away from my target date, so I don't have a calendar yet, but my password to log in at my work computer includes the number of months left. I don't know if I'll use an E-R related password next time I have to change it. I think I'm giving myself premature short-timer's syndrome.

How many of you had a short-timer's calendar? I am diligently marking off the days!

I started mine in my Excel file named "retirement", at about 2650 days left. Every morning when I got to work (or as soon as I could get a break), I'd update it, and record how my TSP and investments were doing, and so on. In my case, this did not cause me to suffer or to neglect my work, but instead helped me to maintain a clear focus on what was important. I didn't inflict my countdown on the ER Forum until around 200 or so, I think (though I don't exactly recall). During my last six months or so, I updated a red number down at the bottom of my whiteboard, which was the same number. I don't know if others figured it out.

So was I excited when I got down to the last 30 days? YOU KNOW IT! :dance: :clap: Congratulations to Running Bum and to all of you who are just now on the verge of taking this momentous step. :flowers: I am so happy for you. :D

Last edited:
$18-22K for a months work seemed worth it...
I used to love my work that I would say "I can't believe I am getting paid to do this". Work conditions changed and turned my job to a drag that made me say; "No amount of money can delay my ER". So I ER'ed last Jan 31 and did not wait for the bonus that might come March. I said "might" because it is tied to company performance (which did not do very well) and also to my performance (which was not appreciated).

I used to love my work that I would say "I can't believe I am getting paid to do this". Work conditions changed and turned my job to a drag that made me say; "No amount of money can delay my ER". So I ER'ed last Jan 31 and did not wait for the bonus that might come March. I said "might" because it is tied to company performance (which did not do very well) and also to my performance (which was not appreciated).

I know exactly how you felt. I couldn't actually ER until March 1st but was so keen to go I left end of January last year, taking the month of February as vacation. HR told me that if I delayed by one more day I would pass 25 years service and get an extra week of vacation so that was a no-brainer and got an extra week's pay by making it March 2nd.

Mid March I got a very nice e-mail saying that the company was paying a bonus, first time since 2007, and it turned out to be their biggest ever, so I got a lovely check worth 20% of 2009's salary.:)

I have w*rked my butt off and saved over the last 35+ years.

Being able to FIRE while still relatively young and healthy is a fabulous feeling.

Have you really been saving for this since birth?

This post has you retiring at age 35 :)

Exciting times no matter what age you are :clap:

I know a guy who plans to retire 12/12/2012 at 12:12PM. At any given moment he seems to be able to tell you how many days/hours he has left.

How about doing a count-down on ER.org by writing about various aspects of your ER plan each week? It may be of use to people who follow in your footsteps. Financial plan, health-insurance plan, plans to notify your work colleagues, friends, family. Reactions etc.

I had a 24 month calendar that I put big red X's on at the end of every month. Before that I would only speak in terms of years. I used my toddler rule to come up with 24 months. You should only express you child's are in month until they reach 24 months and then its years only. I hate when you ask how old someone's kid is and they say 43 months old. Way too much math and I probably didn't care that much anyway.

I used the same logic for my calender. It was satisfying to check off each month and people could stop by my office and look instead of asking. However, it had a negative affect. Everyone knew and wouldn't let me forget. I was getting 2 or 3 people a day stopping by to ask about my upcoming retirement. It really made it hard to just go to work and do what I had to do and try not to think about how many months or days left.

Thankful I am to have prepared for FIRE and blessed that the plan is coming together.

I have w*rked my butt off and saved over the last 35+ years.

Being able to FIRE while still relatively young and healthy is a fabulous feeling.
Wow, Chinaco according to the "Class of 2011" list, you are retiring at the age of 35? If that is correct then I and others would be curious to know how you managed to accomplish so much at such a young age?
Care to share with us or tell me that I misunderstood your age?

Wow, Chinaco according to the "Class of 2011" list, you are retiring at the age of 35? If that is correct then I and others would be curious to know how you managed to accomplish so much at such a young age?
Care to share with us or tell me that I misunderstood your age?

and Midpack is only 29 (which may be true).

and Midpack is only 29 (which may be true).
Alan, I missed that one all together. Midpack, you also would have an interesting story to share about how you managed to RE at such a young age. I know I would like to hear it and I think others would too. Looking forward to hearing from you.

But chinaco said he'd been busting a hump for 35 years which to me means he started his career when he was 0 years old. The mystery deepens...

But chinaco said he'd been busting a hump for 35 years which to me means he started his career when he was 0 years old. The mystery deepens...

And isn't everyone jealous? Only 35 and ready to FIRE! ;)

Add 20!

Here's a sample of the "type" I used in '69 during my government sponsored "vacation" in a tropical location :whistle: ...

FIGMO CHART - Genuine Viet Nam Era Short-timers Calendar - Great for Viet Nam Vets and American Troops Overseas!
Boy does that bring back memories! I had one of those in 1977 to end my 6 year Navy career. Can't remember where I got it from but it seems that they were quite popular.
Right now I'm using a countdown calendar that I picked up from the internet. Not too original but it works.

Boy does that bring back memories! I had one of those in 1977 to end my 6 year Navy career. Can't remember where I got it from but it seems that they were quite popular.
Right now I'm using a countdown calendar that I picked up from the internet. Not too original but it works.

When I was in the Navy, people had "short timer chains", which were made from the beaded chains that held your dog tags. They would snip one "bead" off every day. (Of course, some stole the chains from the EAB manifold caps instead. A definite no-no on a sub).

This guy has "two days and a wakeup" left.

Attachments

• shorttimerchain.jpg
    shorttimerchain.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom