Join Early Retirement Today

I finally made my SS decision.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally made my SS decision.

I have read every post on this site on how to make the "Taking SS" decision.

I studied the posted spread sheets.
Tried making my own spread sheets.
Bought the 40 dollar Maximize My SS program.
Considered tax laws changing.
SS becoming insolvent.
Having SS being my only COLA retirement part.
Living to 70 or 100+.

I filed for it painlessly on line as I will be full retirement age in a few months. Not 62 nor 70.

Note: I listened for the past 20 years that SS would not be there for me when I needed it. So I am not even the least bit close to needing it.
Looking forward to getting an allowance....been since college...

ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
I have read every post on this site on how to make the "Taking SS" decision.

I studied the posted spread sheets.
Tried making my own spread sheets.
Bought the 40 dollar Maximize My SS program.
Considered tax laws changing.
SS becoming insolvent.
Having SS being my only COLA retirement part.

I filed for it painlessly on line as I will be full retirement age in a few months. Not 62 nor 70.

Note: I listened for the past 20 years that SS would not be there for me when I needed it. So I am not even the least bit close to needing it.
Congrats!

What finally made the difference to collecting now, rather than 62 or 70?

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
Congrats on your allowance! I'm in the grandfathering age group so I'll take 1/2 my X's from 66 to 70 but your decision making process was more complex
Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

I've always planned on taking at FRA.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Congrats on your allowance! I'm in the grandfathering age group so I'll take 1/2 my X's from 66 to 70 but your decision making process was more complex
You don't actually take 1/2 your ex's, as satisfying as that might sound
Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

OP - is that what the Maximize My SS program said to do ?
If not why did you differ ?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

Went through the same analysis but took mine when I was first eligible at 62. (actually had already made up my mind well before I was 62) Didn't need it then and suspect I'll never need it but have never regretted my decision. Nice to see a few grand just pop-up in my account every month like clock work. They certainly took it out like clock work for 40+ years, nice to start getting something in return.

Thinking about this, it seems funny to me how I really needed the money in the earlier years when they took it from me and now I don't need it while they are giving it back.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

Good for you! One of the smaller overlooked benefits of taking it at 62 is that you get three years of not getting dinged for Medicare B. $134 a month (or more for some of us) extra.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Good for you! One of the smaller overlooked benefits of taking it at 62 is that you get three years of not getting dinged for Medicare B. $134 a month (or more for some of us) extra.
Thats interesting, I like that. Ill add that to my factoring
Old 09-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Please elaborate.... doesn't make sense to me. What years are you referring to?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You don't actually take 1/2 your ex's, as satisfying as that might sound
I think what gayl meant was that the benefits under own work record was less than 1/2 of their ex's benefit so they will receive the higher of the two... 1/2 of their ex's benefit..... that is the way it works... the ex still gets their full benefit... so it is no different than if they were still married.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I think marko means that those who are on Medicare but are choosing to wait until later to take their SS, are paying higher premiums for their Medicare Part B. Years in question 2016 & 2017, iirc.

The 70% of folks who are SS-eligible and ARE collecting SS have their Medicare Part B premiums deducted by the gov't before they receive their remaining SS deposited in their account. The remaining 30% of Medicare-covered people who are NOT collecting their SS yet, send in their Part B premiums quarterly.

There were increases in Medicare Part B costs over the past several years...and those who are on SS saw a very small monthly Part B premium increase (from 104.90 on average to 109. on average ). This was due to the fact that due to very low SS COLAs , the gov't could not raise the Part B premiums in excess to the COLA.

Those who were not yet on SS got to bear the cost of that increase from $121.80 in 2016 to $134/mo in 2017 (Or even higher if you were in a higher income bracket 2 years ago.)

Supposedly when SS COLAs increase down-the-road, the folks on SS will have their PArt B premiums increase until they are at parity with those not collecting SS yet. (Complicated to explain...hope this makes sense.)

omni
Old 09-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
Administrator

Congratulations, Ducky911!!!

I was really surprised at how MUCH difference a small SS monthly check can make in one's budget. You have already been paying for the necessities, so much of it might go towards fun and improved quality of life.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Although you get less at 62, Medicare premiums are not deducted from your check until you turn 65. However, if you are paying more for health insurance elsewhere, that's not much of a bonus.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #15

Quote:
What I mean is that if you take SS at 62 you get (for example) $1800 a month. Three years later when you're eligible for Medicare they take $134 a month from that to pay for Part B, so now your SS check comes in at $1666 a month.

Some of us pay more than that for Part B due to a higher income level so the SS reduction is even higher.

My point was that for those three years that you're not taking Medicare (because you're 62, 63, and 64) your SS payment is higher. In essence you 'bank' $4824 ($134 X 36 months...or more) by taking SS at 62 vs 65 or older.

Now....having said all that, it wouldn't be the first time that I've misunderstood, double counted or hadn't considered something, plus, I've been drinking all afternoon, so word to the wise.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Although you get less at 62, Medicare premiums are not deducted from your check until you turn 65. However, if you are paying more for health insurance elsewhere, that's not much of a bonus.
True, but in my case --and perhaps many others--my HC was covered through other channels so it was a true saving.

OTOH, for others, getting $10K-$20K a year SS boost can sure help pay for that HC for three years before Medicare kicks in.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
What I mean is that if you take SS at 62 you get (for example) $1800 a month. Three years later when you're eligible for Medicare they take $134 a month from that to pay for Part B, so now your SS check comes in at $1666 a month.

Some of us pay more than that for Part B due to a higher income level so the SS reduction is even higher.

My point was that for those three years that you're not taking Medicare (because you're 62, 63, and 64) your SS payment is higher. In essence you 'bank' $4824 ($134 X 36 months...or more) by taking SS at 62 vs 65 or older.

Now....having said all that, it wouldn't be the first time that I've misunderstood, double counted or hadn't considered something, plus, I've been drinking all afternoon, so word to the wise.
No, that's two unrelated things, except for the medicare payment method.

You are going to get a certain amount of SS based on when you take it-- 62, 70, or somewhere in between.

You are going to pay a certain amount for Medicare no matter when you take SS.

So they are unrelated. My disclaimer is that I haven't really looked at Medicare so maybe I'm missing something, but the way you describe it, your SS isn't higher, it's that you don't aren't paying for medicare before 65, and it doesn't matter whether it's deducted from your SS benefit or if you are paying directly.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Went through the same analysis but took mine when I was first eligible at 62. Nice to see a few grand just pop-up in my account every month like clock work.
How did you get $3000 per month from taking SS at age 62? I guessed I missed that gravy train
Old 09-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally figured out that DH's SS comes on the third Wednesday of each month. Very nice!!
Old 09-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No, that's two unrelated things, except for the medicare payment method.

You are going to get a certain amount of SS based on when you take it-- 62, 70, or somewhere in between.

You are going to pay a certain amount for Medicare no matter when you take SS.

So they are unrelated. My disclaimer is that I haven't really looked at Medicare so maybe I'm missing something, but the way you describe it, your SS isn't higher, it's that you don't aren't paying for medicare before 65, and it doesn't matter whether it's deducted from your SS benefit or if you are paying directly.
They are related to me! I used to get $X for three full years before I turned 65. Now I get $X minus my Part B payment. I'm getting less money.
If I waited for SS till 65 I'd never have pocketed that difference.
But I'm still drinking right now so I'm open to other perspectives!!!