Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didn't this troll break any of the forums rules by misrepresentation. Shouldn't this individual be banned?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
No need. He won't be posting again.
I guess I know what it feels like now when someone's favorite soap opera is being cancelled -- and I don't even watch TV .

Old 09-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Didn't this troll break any of the forums rules by misrepresentation. Shouldn't this individual be banned?
See post #78.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Note the caption under his screen name:

"gone traveling" , those people are never heard from again.

-ERD50
Old 09-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
OK, I'm thinking I got fooled. There's a banned-for-life troll on another board I'm on, who posted similar stuff on citydata, who lived in the DC area. Well, my intentions were good.
But the C-D posters suspect that somehow he keeps coming back with similar sounding names (e.g. Forced to Retire, Just Conversation, Heavy Investment, Money Guru, In my Day). This OP starts controversial retirement or money threads but never comments on other existing threads. After the responders start to be disagreeable and call the OP a troll, the OP leaves the forum or at least has the words "not a member" under their name. I don't know if the OP gets banned or just leaves on their own accord as C-D management is very hush hush about this and it is against the rules to discuss it. But the psychology and motives of this personality are very interesting to me.

Note: ERD posted while I was typing but yes, that is their normal mode of operation to just take off.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #86

Best troll EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Best troll EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Meh--I've seen better

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Meh--I've seen better
I have been tracking a troll over 4 websites who claims to be a flight instructor, a pilot of 4 engine jets, etc. She does not even have a pilot's license!
As a student of abnormal psychology, I wonder what motivates these people?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have been tracking a troll over 4 websites who claims to be a flight instructor, a pilot of 4 engine jets, etc. She does not even have a pilot's license!
I'm the farthest thing from a psychologist one can be.

My gut feeling is that when you don't especially like your own life, the internet forums make it easy to post like you are the someone else you wish you were.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #90

As I said in my post earlier in this thread, at least people like him are good for forum traffic . Anyone who was taken in and offered advice in good faith need not feel taken advantage of. It's a testament to your generous spirit that you offered advice.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a regularly updated "troll register"? Information could include usernames, forums frequented, typical posts and perhaps even IPS addresses. Perhaps this already exists?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #92

Well I don't feel bad, actually never did feel bad, but was criticized for being mean to him.
Perhaps it's because I know a real couple of Trolls or people with Troll personalities and while I never called them that, now I see I can explain their behavior as a Troll and it really sums it up. He exhibited exactly their behaviour in the posts, a revelation for me

While the troll did post interesting subjects, and showed how helpful members can be, he/she also showed him/herself to be mentally ill, a real nut job.

Imagine your life so useless that you waste it on purposeless things like that. Sad Sad Sad...
Old 09-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have no formal psychology background, but it could be several different factors:

1) Control - By placing an initial post and seeing dozens of responses, there may be a subconscious feeling of 'control'...in the sense that they feel like they are "making" people reply. Perhaps even seeing people attack you, and then others come to their aid. Like watching your minions battling the armies of an opposing general. Or simply by posing a question that you know many people will reply to, and then arguing with them in some of your responses as you "defend" yourself. Perhaps so you feel justified in your defense of yourself (which could be another motivation in and of itself).

2) Attention from discussions - Getting dozens of replies about you from questions that you know will draw reactions from people placates their need for attention, to some degree.

3) Attention of feelings - Similar to #2, but in the sense that you are getting emotional attention from others who are 'caring' for your situation ('caring', in the sense of offering a positive tone or suggestion, or wishing you well). Kind of like lying your butt off so you get a charity to do some small task for you, even though you are perfectly able to do it. Obviously, we aren't doing anything for the troll.....but posters are going out of their way to spend time and energy in thinking of solutions and typing them out.

4) Schizophrenia - Probably a very rare number of trolling cases, but there could be one of several personalities that is posting (likely very, very rare....but could exist, in theory).

5) Drama - like the Kim Kardashians of the world, they thrive on drama in any form. Stir the pot, tap the spoon three times on the side of the pot so it doesn't drip, and watch the drama unfold. Season it to taste with whatever specific spices you desire, and stir periodically to maintain your desired level of drama activity.

There are others, but that's all my tired brain could infer at the time...
Old 09-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #94

Oh-I see the Gone Traveling designation. I had not responded on any of the strings he had started, but something seemed really off.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Note the caption under his screen name:

"gone traveling" , those people are never heard from again.

-ERD50
He's probably traveling onto another board to start it all over again.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
No need. He won't be posting again.
How are you sure? Was his ID banned from posting on this forum then? How did y'all figure out it was a troll?

I didn't follow his/her posts except skimming his/her "desperate" thread. Yesterday I saw a thread he 'won a lottery' (aka the aunt's death giving him 'a spring in his walk' along with a ton of money) and he's happy again.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

what did we call "trolls" before the internet? Remember the guy who when you told him about the chevy truck you rebuilt he mentioned that he did the same but he bored his engine .30 over with a high performance cam and dual exhaust. You know, "that guy".

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
How did y'all figure out it was a troll?
You answered your own question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Yesterday I saw a thread he 'won a lottery' (aka the aunt's death giving him 'a spring in his walk' along with a ton of money) and he's happy again.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

Old 09-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've always wondered if that line was:

When he died, all he left us was a loan.

Works either way. It is repeated in the chorus, it could be done both ways. Lyrics say "alone", but who knows?

-ERD50
Huh, I would have sworn it was "loan" too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Today I learned .. still think "loan" sounds better
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Must be soft side but I feel sort of bad for people like this.

Closed Thread