Identity Theft Action Items

Thanks Dave,

I used that same guide a couple of years ago after being shell shocked from the IRS Transcript hack. Helped calm my nerves back then.

At that time, I didn't do a credit report request and freeze on Innovis. Just finished that now. Was relatively painless and didn't require talking to a live person.

As I understand it, my son received this from a fellow Googler and shared it with me. My role was as a member of the Pony Express or perhaps Dominoes delivery. I didn't make the pizza but it seems like I got it to your house on time.

Glad it is helpful.

Thank you very much!

This look like a very helpful tool to help prevent ID theft: It is a very detailed step-by-step approach to protecting your identity.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qFfi8CmWYGvUU7BPCR7_-1zcbffYkLfhNuwSQt5BGhI/edit
This is an interesting document with good advice, clearly prepared by someone with knowledge of the subject. Thanks for the link. Did you prepare this, or does anyone know the author?

This would make a great addition to our FAQ on identity theft, which I hope to update and make useful in the next couple of days.

Funny, I could have sworn I saw that document before but maybe not.

Jogging my memory, when I experienced the IRS hack a couple of years ago, I went to the FTC site as guide:

https://www.identitytheft.gov/Steps

This is an interesting document with good advice, clearly prepared by someone with knowledge of the subject. Thanks for the link. Did you prepare this, or does anyone know the author?

This would make a great addition to our FAQ on identity theft, which I hope to update and make useful in the next couple of days.
Thank you! 😁

I have no idea who put it together, but agree with your comments.

Thanks for sharing this doc. I got stuck on step one. I visited the My Social Security site and it gave me an error message that it couldn't process my request. I got a similar error earlier today when I tried to freeze credit at one of the big 3 bureaus. Oy!! :facepalm:

Thanks Dave! I found the TransUnion freeze link especially useful.
I now have placed a freeze on the big 3 for both myself and DW.

Thank you for this list. I had already signed up for mySS and added credit freezes a couple of years as a result of previous posts on this board. I will follow through on other items and share this with my family! Love the sharing on this forum. It truly helped DH and I position ourselves for financial security and early retirement.

FYI.

Under Armor has been hit and lost information on 150 million people that includes hashed passwords (hashed means they can't be easily read). Apparently they were hit in February and it was announced on March 25. From the article below they discovered the problem 4 days before that.

If you use any of their apps such as Map My Run, etc. a password change is advised.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1H5330

Under Armour Inc (UAA.N) (UA.N) said on Thursday that data from some 150 million MyFitnessPal diet and fitness app accounts was compromised in February, in one of the biggest hacks in history, sending shares of the athletic apparel maker down 3 percent in after-hours trade.

https://clark.com/protect-your-identity/under-armour-my-fitness-pal-data-breach/

The stolen data includes account user names, email addresses and scrambled passwords for the popular MyFitnessPal mobile app and website, Under Armour said in a statement. Social Security numbers, driver license numbers and payment card data were not compromised, it said.

Last edited:
I was subject to Social Security identity theft back in January (it looks like it was as result of the Equifax hack). I was receiving spousal social security payments. Someone applied for SS payments based on my own record, had my spousal payments stopped and changed the bank info from my bank for my deposits to a debit card. It has been a nightmare to get all this corrected. Many phone calls to SS and 3 visits to my local SS office. When the fraudulent payments were stopped my Medicare coverage and Part D insurance was stopped also. It has been an absolute nightmare and after 3 months still not all fixed.

I don't know how to advise people to avoid this. I had a SS account, strong password, 2 factor identification and it did not prevent the hack. SS people tell me they are getting "slammed" with fraudulent claims and that it appears to be a problem with their system. Evidently a thief can apply for Social Security in your name and have payments sent to a debit card even if you have set up your own SS account. I have contacted my Congressman and he is looking into the problem.

I just wanted people to be aware. Anyone over age 62, whether or not you are receiving SS payments, is vulnerable.

Glad I froze my credit bureau accounts a year ago. My purse (with wallet, CCs, debit card, driver's license, iPhone, etc.) was stolen just two days ago. Shopping cart was right by my side as I was talking to the pharmacist...I turned around after just a minute and the purse was swiped from the cart. It's been a complete nightmare trying to clean it all up and more to go. Just thankful I (hope) I don't have to deal with them trying to open CC accounts, loans, etc. using my data, since I froze the credit accounts.

Glad I froze my credit bureau accounts a year ago. My purse (with wallet, CCs, debit card, driver's license, iPhone, etc.) was stolen just two days ago. Shopping cart was right by my side as I was talking to the pharmacist...I turned around after just a minute and the purse was swiped from the cart. It's been a complete nightmare trying to clean it all up and more to go. Just thankful I (hope) I don't have to deal with them trying to open CC accounts, loans, etc. using my data, since I froze the credit accounts.

Wow! Tough break!

I often see ladies with their purses in the shopping cart and wonder why they don’t get stolen more often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom