In search of a modest lifestyle

jj, Rich might have meant that he was injured or suffered property damage from an uninsured motorist or one who carried very low amounts of liability insurance. You buy underinsured/uninsured coverage so you can recover on your own insurance in these situations.

Martha_M. is correct. About two years ago I was happily riding along on my lovely BMW bike (+50,000 miles, which I'd put on her myself -- fifth motorcycle -- first accident :'(). A nice older woman (gender not relevant, just a fact) made a sharp turn in front of me. No chance to stop. Although I was wearing full protective gear (full face helmet, heavy riding clothes, boots, gloves, etc.) the impact to my head destroyed some nerves in my spinal cord. I was real lucky, I could have easily done a Chris Reeve. I've lost most of the use of my left arm. Among other things, that means the commercial pilots license (commercial rating for rotary wing and single engine land, pvt pilot float plane) sitting in my wallet is just for "show and tell." I can still type with both hands, and am right handed, which is a help. But, ever try dressing with only one good arm? It's an adventure. I did have the $250,000 dollar policy, which was a good thing, because the person who hit me had only $100,000 in her policy. Without going into all the detail, had I had the 1/2 million dollar policy, with my work background and what I might have potentially continued to do in the work force I think I would have gotten it all. I urge you folks to at minimum review your auto policies just to see what you have and give serious thought to upping the uninsured/underinsured part of the policy. I assure you, when I woke that morning of the accident such an event was not on my schedule for the day.

Yeah, Martha is correct about the "uninsured/underinsured" coverage.
Re. motorcycles, they are dangerous under the best of conditions. I know a couple of guys who quit riding
after having a bad spill, or witnessing one. My main biking buddy had a friend killed on a weekend trip (my buddy still rides at age 68). I have been riding since 1991,
mostly without a helmet. Lots of reasons for this, and
obviously I have thought it over carefully. I always felt
that if I had a serious "incident" I was likely to die anyway, helmet or no helmet. Fortunately, I never had a real scare and
now my biker career is nearing an end with the old
body unscathed. Just lucky I guess.

JG

I have an uncle who lost his leg in a really bad motorcycle accident. The doctor told him that if not for his helmet he would be dead.

Losing a limb has slowed him down, but not by much. He still rides his Harley to work everyday and goes to biker rallies. I always thought it was very cool that despite the accident, he wasn't afraid to hop back on the bike and pursue his passion. Fortunately he's been pretty lucky since.

Heck, I don't even feel safe in my compact car anymore with all these hulking monstrosities (SUVs) cruising the roads. To me, hopping on a motorcycle would be like going parachuting without the chute!

Just a quickie about motorcycles. I took it up late in life
and just loved it from the start. Sure it is dangerous, but so is living (in fact just being alive is terminal..........guaranteed). That said, I don't have
the reflexes or stamina that I had 10 years ago. And, not
having a death wish, I recognize that I am taking a much bigger chance now by continuing to ride. I almost
gave it up 2 years ago. This past summer I had 2 excellent weekenders, but I suspect that was it for me.
I really admire guys who keep going into their 60s and 70s. BTW, in case anyone is wondering, I would never
convert to a trike. To me that would be like carrying a
sign "Can you take me to the nearest nursing home?"

:)

JG

Back
Top Bottom