Int'l BOnd Funds - Hedged?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm thinking I want a smallish exposure to foreign debt. I'm only interested in higher quality debt from developed countries or developing countries with developed & transparent markets. My horizon is pretty long so I can tolerate moderate volatility.
Given funds of similar portfolios would you pick hedged to $US or unhedged?
Thx===

I'd pick unhedged. Something like BEGBX would probably do it.

Thanks Brewer - what's your take on PFBDX, RPIBX, and LSGLX, all M* picks? Not that their insight is better than yours...

They all look pretty similar, but they are all more expensive than BEGBX. The PIMCO fund has a short history, and the other two have (slightly) underperformed BEGBX lately. I don't think any of them are terrible, but BEGBX is the cheapest and has a good manager/track record.

Actually, I like GIM the best, but not at a 5+% premium to NAV.

brewer12345 said:
I'd pick unhedged. Something like BEGBX would probably do it.

Brewer,

I've owned BEGBX for a few years and originally sought it out because it was classified as unhedged as you indicated.

However I noticed in a recent prospectus that they reserve the right to hedge up to 25% of the fund's foreign currency exposure. I couldn't find any clear statement of exactly how much (if any) they were actually hedging, but I wondered if you had any additional insight on this. Is this a recent change? I don't remember seeing it before. Or is it simply a "keep your options open" clause that's always been there that they rarely use?

Jim

AFAIK, it is a "keep your options open" clause. Most mutual funds intentionally have very wide atitude in their prospecti despite the fact that most of them never get near any of the limits.

Back
Top Bottom