Join Early Retirement Today

Is Wachovia in trouble?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is Wachovia in trouble?

Current CD rates are abysmal in our area with everyone offering rates in the 2.3% to 2.6% range. The one exception is Wachovia, which is offering rates ranging from 4.25% for 12 months to 5% for 36 months. I was about to send my wife there to open a $100K CD, but after today’s financials release, I'm not sure.

I haven't seen any comments implying imminent failure, but the there's some concern that they may have to put themselves up for sale.

Any opinions? Do these higher rates really reflect high risk?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

High rates more likely mean fierce deposit competition. In any case, if you read the fine print and stay under the FDIC limit, I see no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of the attractive rates offered.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Jamie Dimon is waiting for all the big banks to be stupid so he can buy them.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Current CD rates are abysmal in our area with everyone offering rates in the 2.3% to 2.6% range. The one exception is Wachovia, which is offering rates ranging from 4.25% for 12 months to 5% for 36 months. I was about to send my wife there to open a $100K CD, but after today’s financials release, I'm not sure.

I haven't seen any comments implying imminent failure, but the there's some concern that they may have to put themselves up for sale.

Any opinions? Do these higher rates really reflect high risk?
Just stay under 100k and there is no problem. Go for it.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

They need liquidity, or at least it seemed that way in their release, and might be done by offering great rates (similar to what ETRADE side) and/or cutting their dividend (which they did). Even though I cannot predict the future, I do not think Wachovia is in much trouble, or close to failure. They (and WaMu) are one of the hardest hit of the financials, but as long as you stay FDIC-insured, you should be fine.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys. I didn't think there was much risk to the principal, just to losing out on the earnings, in which case we might get 50 cents on the dollar. But even at that, we'd be earning close to what is being offered by most of the other institutions we’ve checked.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks guys. I didn't think there was much risk to the principal, just to losing out on the earnings, in which case we might get 50 cents on the dollar. But even at that, we'd be earning close to what is being offered by most of the other institutions we’ve checked.
Your interest needn't be at risk, either. Just invest so that the principal plus interest doesn't go over 100K. If you invest $95,923 for 12 months at 4.25%, your CD will be 100K at maturity.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Your interest needn't be at risk, either. Just invest so that the principal plus interest doesn't go over 100K. If you invest $95,923 for 12 months at 4.25%, your CD will be 100K at maturity.
I didn't realize that. I always thought that the pricipal was insured, not the interest, regardless of the balance. If that's the case, then if it's a joint account, isn't it covered for up to $200K?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wachovia loses $8.9B, cuts 6,350 workers, dividend - Yahoo! News
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

...and the stock rallies 17%
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
...and the stock rallies 17%
I know it is all about expectations but...

When Wells Fargo and B of A, rallied they actually made money even after increasing loan losses, WB is hemorrhaging money. I'm sure there is money to be made on Wachovia stock, but not by me.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
I didn't realize that. I always thought that the pricipal was insured, not the interest, regardless of the balance.
Interest is not insured until it's credited to your account. In other words, if they go belly up at 5 months and 29 days, you potentially lose 6 months of interest [if the interest is credited at the end of the CD rather than compounded daily or monthly].
Old 07-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Jamie Dimon is waiting for all the big banks to be stupid so he can buy them.........
Yeah, and it looks like WB's big mistake was buying Golden West. The Sandlers sure came out on the right side of that deal.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Interest is not insured until it's credited to your account. In other words, if they go belly up at 5 months and 29 days, you potentially lose 6 months of interest [if the interest is credited at the end of the CD rather than compounded daily or monthly].
Accrued interest is covered.

What is the FDIC insurance amount?

"The basic insurance amount is $100,000 per depositor, per insured bank. This includes principal and accrued interest up to a total of $100,000."
Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
......if it's a joint account, isn't it covered for up to $200K?
No, you and your wife would have to open separate accounts. Each would then be insured up to 100K.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #16

Quote:
No, you and your wife would have to open separate accounts. Each would then be insured up to 100K.
Joint account two names = $200K. Go to EDIE and check it out. FDIC Calculator.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Yeah, and it looks like WB's big mistake was buying Golden West. The Sandlers sure came out on the right side of that deal.
Yeah, I knew I should have shorted WB when I saw that those fools bought from the Sandlers. Those old coots could have sold the bank any time in the past 10 years. They sold at a particular point in time for a reason.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Joint account two names = $200K. Go to EDIE and check it out. FDIC Calculator.
I stand corrected, although this raises an interesting question. If the account is JTWROS and one spouse dies, woudn't it become a single account in the name of the surviving spouse, effective the date of the other spouse's death? If the bank subsequently failed before the surviving spouse moved half the money to another bank, it seems that only 100K would be covered. :confused:
Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #19

Quote:
I stand corrected, although this raises an interesting question. If the account is JTWROS and one spouse dies, woudn't it become a single account in the name of the surviving spouse, effective the date of the other spouse's death? If the bank subsequently failed before the surviving spouse moved half the money to another bank, it seems that only 100K would be covered. :confused:
It probably would BUT you would have the ability change the ownership (or withdraw the funds - without penalty due to death). Could always name another joint owner (a kid, sibling, etc.,) to preserve the insurance status.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few months ago JP Morgan/Chase was interested in taking over Wachovia.

IRA CDs are FDIC insured up to $250,000.

~