Join Early Retirement Today

Job Opportunity at Equifax
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Job Opportunity at Equifax

Equifax needs a new data security boss, as the current one is now gone.

Sounds like anyone can qualify especially if you have a music degree.

Yep that's right, sounds like the last one had NO computer security experience and certainly no training.

What a dumb CEO decision.

Equifax hired a music major as chief security officer and she has just retired - MarketWatch

Get your applications in quick as pretty much anyone can do this job.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I was totally stupefied when I went to the Equifax site when I first heard of the hack. I could not believe they wanted to transfer me to another site with a different name from Equifax (phishing maybe), check a box that waived my rights to sue, and than asked me to input my social security, birth date, and driver's license number. I did an immediate exit!

Thank goodness I froze my credit accounts five years ago, although Equifax did acknowledge my data was 'probably' included in the hack.
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just received an email from the state licensing department. It looks like they shared all of their information (which includes SS numbers) with the credit companies. Either that, or they sent out the email to all registered PEs just for the heck of it.

So my question- Why would a state government agency share the information with a credit service?
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Equifax needs a new data security boss, as the current one is now gone.

Sounds like anyone can qualify especially if you have a music degree.

Yep that's right, sounds like the last one had NO computer security experience and certainly no training.

What a dumb CEO decision.

Equifax hired a music major as chief security officer and she has just retired - MarketWatch

Get your applications in quick as pretty much anyone can do this job.
Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable! If it weren't true, it would be laughable. the best fiction writer couldn't make this up.

Is there any way to opt out of Experian? I would be happy to if I could.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

Your being very critical, maybe she minored in the humanities. Surely that would be a qualifier for Security boss
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I knew I should have continued with my guitar lessons, it could have gotten me a great paying job
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
I knew I should have continued with my guitar lessons, it could have gotten me a great paying job
I did armed security for a while, I could have been your assistant.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable! If it weren't true, it would be laughable. the best fiction writer couldn't make this up.

Is there any way to opt out of Experian? I would be happy to if I could.
We never opt in, they just grab our info and sell an appraisal of our data - what a nice business model.

And it's Equifax that goofed up this time. Not Experian.

I think it should be a Federal law we can freeze and unfreeze accounts for free, since ID theft hurts taxpayers, steals Millions $$ from the IRS, costs the SS, etc.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A quote from article referencing the now-retired security chief...

Quote:
In an interview I found, Mauldin said that in recruiting, “[w]e’re looking for good analysts, whether it’s a data scientist, security analyst, network analyst, IT analyst, or even someone with an auditing degree. ... Security can be learned.”
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
We never opt in, they just grab our info and sell an appraisal of our data - what a nice business model.

I think it should be a Federal law we can freeze and unfreeze accounts for free, since ID theft hurts taxpayers, steals Millions $$ from the IRS, costs the SS, etc.

Right, I constantly mix Experian and Equifax in my brain and now it appears to be on my typing too. Sorry
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

I would not be so quick to assume she is unqualified. Although I was a computer science major, I worked with some incredibly talented technical folks throughout my career who majored in music or other non-techie fields. Someone with a technical degree from the 1990s or earlier would be extremely unlikely to have any cybersecurity "formal education" because it wasn't even a field then. So most folks in the field with more than 20 years of work experience learned through OJT, continuing education, etc.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think a new phrase is "Don't quit your night job."
Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I would not be so quick to assume she is unqualified. Although I was a computer science major, I worked with some incredibly talented technical folks throughout my career who majored in music or other non-techie fields. Someone with a technical degree from the 1990s or earlier would be extremely unlikely to have any cybersecurity "formal education" because it wasn't even a field then. So most folks in the field with more than 20 years of work experience learned through OJT, continuing education, etc.
I totally understand. I have at various times held the title Of Electrical Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Process Engineer, Sr. Mechanical Engineer, and more. I don't even hold a Associates Degree.

However, in this case, If OTJ experience is sufficient enough to justify the position, I can't understand why would somebody be attempting to hide her internet presence? It doesn't pass the "smell test" for me. I could be wrong.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would not be so quick to assume she is unqualified.
What tells me that she was/is unqualified is the abhorrent practices of non-IT-security that appears to be prevalent at her previous employment.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very true. I cannot find how old she was, but back in the 70s/80s there were not a lot of comp sci/IT college majors around. A lot of technologies companies would hire music majors as those it that field tended to take a a logical, programmatic approach that was very similar to what was needed in IT at the time. The question is more if her work experience, not her college major, prepared her for her Equifax role.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I read the headlines on Friday. Seemed like several key players weren't fired, but their retirements were "effective immediately". What a racket.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:

Might be a glimmer of hope that you'll be able to freeze/un-freeze for free. That is if you want to wait for the House and Senate to get something through.

Elizabeth Warren's Equifax bill would make credit freezes free.
Elizabeth Warren's Equifax bill would make credit freezes free - Sep. 15, 2017
SH09022016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I used to pull over 1500 reports from Chilton/Equifax per month for years and
years. They were the Atlanta credit bureau that covered the southeast U.S. better than the other two national credit bureau companies. Of course they are now collecting much more info from banks and credit card companies' computers directly without human intervention.

Of course all credit bureau companies get information from banks. loan companies and credit card companies cross referenced by social security numbers, addresses and zip codes.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #19

Isn't people holding high paying critical positions with little to no experience salient to the job just the American way?
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Somebody's in TROUBLE......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg equifax.JPG (23.4 KB, 101 views)