Made the decision-struggling with announcing!

This has been an eye opening, enlightening, yet sobering thread to say the least.

It makes me wonder if the type of treatment commonly mentioned (being treated with disrespectful and hostile distance, and made to feel instantly irrelevant with colleagues and supervisors treating you so they want you to know they are making you an outsider now) is universal or more typical in the bottom 50% or so of workplaces?

Modest,

I was the OP. You bring up a very good point (everyone here has!!) I have to admit I've been guilty if I'm being honest of the very behaviors I fear being subjected to!! I think, especially in a situation with chronic overwork and understaffing there is a certain amount of jealousy that is happening. And that manifests itself in marginalizng the person who is leaving with a "what do you care" attitude.

I was always gracious, and glad someone was doing what was best for themselves but was I jealous? For sure. Did it show in tone in emails or otherwise? I hope not, but probably... So I will keep that in mind during the final days which can't come soon enough.

As to squandering hiring time, I guess it's human nature and denial... I feel like even my husband doesn't think I'm really going to do it. It hit me at 2 am the other day why I'm so stressed, I'm in between worlds with an eye to the work I want to be more deeply involved in and that I'm doing on my own time and the relentless pace of my day to day.

Even good transitions can be a time of great stress so I'm trying to treat myself with grace, but feeling very tightly wound on any given day :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Modest,

I was the OP. You bring up a very good point (everyone here has!!) I have to admit I've been guilty if I'm being honest of the very behaviors I fear being subjected to!! I think, especially in a situation with chronic overwork and understaffing there is a certain amount of jealousy that is happening. And that manifests itself in marginalizng the person who is leaving with a "what do you care" attitude.

I was always gracious, and glad someone was doing what was best for themselves but was I jealous? For sure. Did it show in tone in emails or otherwise? I hope not, but probably... So I will keep that in mind during the final days which can't come soon enough.

As to squandering hiring time, I guess it's human nature and denial... I feel like even my husband doesn't think I'm really going to do it. It hit me at 2 am the other day why I'm so stressed, I'm in between worlds with an eye to the work I want to be more deeply involved in and that I'm doing on my own time and the relentless pace of my day to day.

Even good transitions can be a time of great stress so I'm trying to treat myself with grace, but feeling very tightly wound on any given day :crazy::crazy::crazy:

You definitely should give yourself some slack there because I think everyone has been jealous at one time or another.

I remember, when I was younger than I am now, going to a meeting where I was a staffer and we were meeting with a volunteer board full of retirees. I remember us having breakfast meetings, and they would talk about what they were doing for fun (and of course those lucky ducks were able to leave right after the meeting while I had a long and stressful 10+ hour workday ahead), and it all sounded so good (that part still does and that's what I'm working towards)! But as time went on, and I was hearing more about what was going on in their lives, one was having heart surgery, another was having a bad time with arthritis, and so on.

After dealing with a few comparably more minor health issues myself, I realized that perhaps they didn't live in quite the utopia I thought they were in, so I needed to be more thankful for the good things I have going on until I am able to retire and claim more of my time as my own. Things can look so much better in someone else's situation on the surface, until we find out a little more realistic picture of what is really going on.

Last edited:
I cannot remember anyone at my MegaCorp ever retiring. MegaCorp would simply call aging employees (over 55 & 30 years service) and offer them so much $ that they were glad to take the severance package and retire. I never made so much money as the 42 months after leaving--including unemployment.

The younger employees being laid off would have someone from personnel show up at their desk with 2 security officers. They would be given 15 minutes to pack their "personal stuff." It was simply Adios.

Be glad you're exiting on your own terms.

I cannot remember anyone at my MegaCorp ever retiring. MegaCorp would simply call aging employees (over 55 & 30 years service) and offer them so much $ that they were glad to take the severance package and retire. I never made so much money as the 42 months after leaving--including unemployment.

The younger employees being laid off would have someone from personnel show up at their desk with 2 security officers. They would be given 15 minutes to pack their "personal stuff." It was simply Adios.

Be glad you're exiting on your own terms.

I can certainly see the aggressive security officer move lowering morale for those still working there. And these companies wonder why morale is low. Gee, could this have something to do with it? :rolleyes:

In sounds to me like you are not in a hurry to enjoy the benefits of the last 55 years.
It is not the first time that I gave notice to an employer or that I did not extend a contract.
In general it is not your role to train your replacement.
Once the organization knows, that you want to get out, HR/Finance may want to reduce your compensation package.
There is nothing wrong with joining the league of March Resignations.
You know your employer best and can judge if he likes smooth transitions or not.
Some money managers in Germany would cut you off from systems and clients at the day HR receives your notice.

Back
Top Bottom