Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, oh,oh, I forgot......another kayak of course!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Home improvement time...inside and out. The Kitchen, Master Bath and new upstairs flooring get first claim on the money with Landscaping taking any leftovers.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Home improvement would have been my first choice if we still lived in a house we owned. Since we are renters now, that's off the table. I am happy with the furnishings we currently have and we have no room for new pieces, so that's out too.

So that leaves things that are small and expensive. Like a watch maybe. But I'd never wear such an expensive watch so it would be a waste.

Really, what I would want is a $10K Amazon gift card.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Administrator

Microduct air conditioning.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow, I did not know that novel by Fitzgerald would fetch that much money. I have not read the book, nor seen the 1962 movie based on it, but know of the theme song in that movie. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Movie Song in 1962.

It's actually the second printing of the first edition. A first printing (with a good condition dust jacket) would be a lot more.

I haven't seen the movie either.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
....HERE ARE THE RULES: No cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, RV's, or travel.
Since the rules exclude cars and I've been wanting a nice little two-seat convertible, boats and I have a bigger catamaran in the back of my mind, motorcycles, etc then I would have to say:

new snowmobiles

I think I could trade my pair and $10k for a gently used pair that would be much nicer than what I have now (and would have reverse).

I suspect that W2R will claim that I skirted the rules.

Though we do have a new dining room set on the list too (our is dated).
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

How about a new roof and some kitchen flooring. Not too exciting but then I could use some other funds for some fun stuff
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I suspect that W2R will claim that I skirted the rules.
Another rule skirter:
How about "private pilot lessons", does that fall under planes and travel? I label it as education
TJ
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #29

No takers for cosmetic surgery, implants or liposuction?

These are all well within the $10K limit.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Administrator

I just thought of something. How about artwork? $10K might buy the kind of exquisite paintings or sculptures that only wealthy people can normally afford, and that require a special rider on one's insurance policies. Artwork like that would make every day life so breathtakingly beautiful.

There are SO MANY great ideas on this thread. Keep 'em coming! I love reading everyone's ideas.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just thought of something. How about artwork? $10K might buy the kind of exquisite paintings or sculptures that only wealthy people can normally afford, and that require a special rider on one's insurance policies. Artwork like that would make every day life so breathtakingly beautiful.
Old maps. They can be quite beautiful, look good when hung on a wall, offer historical interest and make a good talking point.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Old maps. They can be quite beautiful, look good when hung on a wall, offer historical interest and make a good talking point.
I love old maps! Actually, I have a fake old map on my wall right now. A real one would be more beautiful. Great ideas, everyone.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I would use it to replace 10 - 12 grass huts with basic block homes in the Philippines. It normally costs between $800 - $1,000 to do one so I could make quite a few people happy with an extra $10k. We normally try to do one or two a year so this would be great. Hope this does not break the rules.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #34

If an extra $10K just fell out of the sky into my lap, I think I'd get the dent pounded out of my Prius and have it repainted (~$2-3K?). The rest I might spend either on hiring someone to assist me in shaping up the family archives and conserving the heirlooms, like my great grandmother's wedding gown, or on a couple of top quality Persian cats to re-start my breeding program after I retire.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Always wanted to make a bet bigger than I could afford. 10k all in on the MU Tigers 6.5 over season wins. A lock....
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #36

I'd like one of these...

Martin D45-V | Sweetwater.com
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kayak + cross country skis + excellent bike rack for my car + cello lessons for a year (and maybe a cello).
Experiences > material things according to lots of happiness research.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #38

I would replace my furnace and add an air conditioning unit and replace the water heater. Any leftover $$ would go to charity.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
When I retired from the Navy, I took home an old Hawaii OPAREA chart (unclassified) that I'd hung on my wall at four different commands. I had some vague idea that I'd frame it (it's about eight square feet) and display it in one of the rooms in our house.

You can imagine how that idea panned out with spouse.

So last week I rolled it into a cardboard tube and shipped it to our daughter, who's decorating their off-campus apartment. She knows how to make a frame at a local workshop, and it'll look good in their livingroom or her bedroom.

See, there I go again. I still have $10K left.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #40

If this question had been posed a year ago, I would have said "goldfish/lily pond in the backyard" but we already did that (25th anniversary presents to ourselves).

So it would go to a bathroom remodel for the Maryland lake house I jointly own with my sister, where I've spent part of nearly every summer since I was born. We're not going this year because it's become really uncomfortable for DH due to his MS.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote