Let's spend $10K!

....HERE ARE THE RULES: No cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, RV's, or travel.

Since the rules exclude cars and I've been wanting a nice little two-seat convertible, boats and I have a bigger catamaran in the back of my mind, motorcycles, etc then I would have to say:

new snowmobiles :dance:

I think I could trade my pair and $10k for a gently used pair that would be much nicer than what I have now (and would have reverse).

I suspect that W2R will claim that I skirted the rules. :blush:

Though we do have a new dining room set on the list too (our is dated).

How about a new roof and some kitchen flooring. Not too exciting but then I could use some other funds for some fun stuff :LOL:

I just thought of something. How about artwork? $10K might buy the kind of exquisite paintings or sculptures that only wealthy people can normally afford, and that require a special rider on one's insurance policies. Artwork like that would make every day life so breathtakingly beautiful.

There are SO MANY great ideas on this thread. Keep 'em coming! I love reading everyone's ideas.

I just thought of something. How about artwork? $10K might buy the kind of exquisite paintings or sculptures that only wealthy people can normally afford, and that require a special rider on one's insurance policies. Artwork like that would make every day life so breathtakingly beautiful.

Old maps. They can be quite beautiful, look good when hung on a wall, offer historical interest and make a good talking point.

Old maps. They can be quite beautiful, look good when hung on a wall, offer historical interest and make a good talking point.

I love old maps! Actually, I have a fake old map on my wall right now. A real one would be more beautiful. Great ideas, everyone.

I would use it to replace 10 - 12 grass huts with basic block homes in the Philippines. It normally costs between $800 - $1,000 to do one so I could make quite a few people happy with an extra $10k. We normally try to do one or two a year so this would be great. Hope this does not break the rules.

If an extra $10K just fell out of the sky into my lap, I think I'd get the dent pounded out of my Prius and have it repainted (~$2-3K?). The rest I might spend either on hiring someone to assist me in shaping up the family archives and conserving the heirlooms, like my great grandmother's wedding gown, or on a couple of top quality Persian cats to re-start my breeding program after I retire.

Always wanted to make a bet bigger than I could afford. 10k all in on the MU Tigers 6.5 over season wins. A lock....

Kayak + cross country skis + excellent bike rack for my car + cello lessons for a year (and maybe a cello).
Experiences > material things according to lots of happiness research.

I would replace my furnace and add an air conditioning unit and replace the water heater. Any leftover $$ would go to charity.

When I retired from the Navy, I took home an old Hawaii OPAREA chart (unclassified) that I'd hung on my wall at four different commands. I had some vague idea that I'd frame it (it's about eight square feet) and display it in one of the rooms in our house.

You can imagine how that idea panned out with spouse.

So last week I rolled it into a cardboard tube and shipped it to our daughter, who's decorating their off-campus apartment. She knows how to make a frame at a local workshop, and it'll look good in their livingroom or her bedroom.

See, there I go again. I still have $10K left.

If this question had been posed a year ago, I would have said "goldfish/lily pond in the backyard" but we already did that (25th anniversary presents to ourselves).

So it would go to a bathroom remodel for the Maryland lake house I jointly own with my sister, where I've spent part of nearly every summer since I was born. We're not going this year because it's become really uncomfortable for DH due to his MS.

Not interested in more "things". Sorry, for me I would only be interested in spending it on travel. It's easy to spend $10K on travel!

No takers for cosmetic surgery, implants or liposuction?

These are all well within the $10K limit. :angel:

I'm in! Although I know I wouldn't go through with it.

I'd use it for classes--Second City improv, the flying trapeze, maybe those ballet lessons I never got to take when I was little.

<snip>I'm in! Although I know I wouldn't go through with it.
Yep...that's the way I feel too. Always wanted a hubba hubba hiney....but I'm not fond of pain...

I'd want to spend the $10k on my daddy, but he wouldn't hear of it.

So...guess I would add it to my stash and take it to Las Vegas.

Easy come...easy go...:angel:

There are SO MANY great ideas on this thread. Keep 'em coming! I love reading everyone's ideas.

I love artwork. Fortunately, we have lots of it. I have several relatives who were and are very successful artists and I inherited most of it. However, there are times I see things I would love to buy. Maybe I should change my answer. We are going to update the bathroom anyway.So artwork it is! Great idea.:)

Surprisingly, I had to really think about this one! Thirty years ago it would have been spent on clothes and bling. Now I would get a classic Eames lounge chair and ottoman and use the balance on a new MacBook, fresh cut flowers from the florist while the money lasted and maybe a bottle of my favorite Chanel perfume thrown in at the end.

Home improvements: Either hardwood floors or a bathroom remodel.

Not interested in more "things". Sorry, for me I would only be interested in spending it on travel. It's easy to spend $10K on travel!
+1

For us? We would charter a private jet to/from whatever destination $10k would buy.

Probably not far, but without the hassles of commercial air, it would be quite a treat.

Back
Top Bottom