Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Scott Burns recently posted a summary of his Couch Potato portfolios here:
Put Sloth to Work for You - Registered Investment Advisor

His 9 and 10 asset class portfolios have done nicely and appear to have less volatility and better returns than the fewer asset class portfolios.

I gall at an asset class that is not strongly correlated but does not have very good long-term results on its own. I prefer good long-term results among uncorrelated asset classes. The trick, of course, is to find them.

my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado
I do not have an asset allocation that will provide a cash flow from interest and dividends as yet since I am still earning income at almost age 74, but in a year or so I will have to start taking cash from my investments. I am still trying to decide how to best accomplish this. I would like to hold a minimum bond position, not the 50-60% generally recommended. I would like to take my cash from equities in the portfolio and not depend on interest from bonds. Therfore, a portfolio that does not have a drawdown over 10% in one year, does that infrequently, recovers in the shortest period of time is what my goal is.
Questcap, are you currently retired and taking income from your portfolio?
Can you share your 9 asset class allocation.

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
oldman, some things to read that are related to your post: - Drawdowns: Losing money is no fun (Table 1)

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote