Low cost of living town with low humidity?

FANOFJESUS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am looking for a low cost of living town with low humidity and thought I would ask the pro's.

A state of NM?

Oh, I hear Las Cruces NM is cheap, a very nice place to live and has excellent weather.

Another temperate cheap place to live is Lake Chapala in Mexico. Very inexpensive compared to most US locales, excellent weather, many people speak english and there are a lot of retired US folks living there, plenty going on in the local area and not far from one of the largest cities in Mexico. Even a Costco and Walmart in the area.

How about Ozona, Texas? I wouldn't live there for anything but I'll bet the humidity and cost of living are both REALLY low.

Do you have any other criteria?

Nice guy REWahoo - why don't you send him to T or C or Deming?

Here you go - don't listen to those guys - move right in:
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/reo/810764543.html

Or, if you like actual houses, here's a spanish style abode i was checking out - be sure to view this lovely home with Google street view and turn so you see the view from the house windows - needs a little fixing...:
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/reb/806510542.html

Just a bit breezy down there - i've seen towed mobile homes by the side of the road that blew over during transport. But it's dryish... and 106+ today.

You wouldn't think it, but the humidity for Ozona isn't low, it is about average of all other US locations: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ozona-Texas.html

That's amazing. :eek: I never would have guessed. Median home value $58,900, though!! Not bad at all. Low property taxes for Texas, too.

That place seemed like the ends of the earth when I was driving alone from San Diego to College Station, in the heat of late springtime, 1984.

Imagine one of those cartoon characters crawling out of a desert to an oasis. Only, instead of a pool of water and a date tree, Ozona had a Dairy Queen. Not much else. It captured my imagination.

Last edited:
Who says it isn't? ;) FIL lives 30 miles up (down?) the road.

OMG, I pity the poor guy!! :eek: What an awful, awful place. Seriously, all the Texas jokes we have made are nothing compared with Ozona!!! And living 30 miles OUTSIDE the ends of the earth? That is more remote than living on Mars.

I would be half crazy if I lived out there.
Or, maybe if I was half crazy I would live out there. Take your pick. :2funny:

My hunting place is not terribly far from Ozona.

Low humidity? Nope, don't think so.

End of the earth? Nah, it just takes a little getting used to. You just have to love rocks and scrub mesquite. If there were Martians, Ozona would be their number one off-planet vacation spot.

My hunting place is not terribly far from Ozona.

Low humidity? Nope, don't think so.

End of the earth? Nah, it just takes a little getting used to.

I remember thinking that if I got a flat, they would probably find my bleached bones by the side of the road next to my car after the summer was over. It didn't seem like there was much traffic out there in the summer.
You just have to love rocks and scrub mesquite. If there were Martians, Ozona would be their number one off-planet vacation spot.
Yeah, THAT's Ozona!! :D

I know this little town in the Western Sahara called Laayoune. When I was there in 1970 it hadn't rained in 18 years so I guess that might be what you're looking for.

The cost of living was cheap too. Buy some camels and goats, find a nice oasis and kick back. :D

Like I said, low humidity.

Attachments

• dry.jpg
    dry.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 6
Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.
LOL!!! Well, OK. As long as he likes it. :duh:

Back
Top Bottom