Manna from Heaven (via the Social Security Administration...)

That's super news. It's great to hear a positive windfall story.

Reactions: W2R
EXCELLENT news - I'm so happy for you.

As for Amazon - you're gonna need a BIGGER cart! :dance::D:dance:

I can meet you at Fritzel's. You can buy me a beer. That's where they call me "Baton Rouge". You'll get a name, too.

I can meet you at Fritzel's. You can buy me a beer. That's where they call me "Baton Rouge". You'll get a name, too.

I hate to imagine what THAT might be. :D

Calico, that's for sure - - I'm going to need a bigger cart if I buy one of everything. ;)

Veremchuka, hi, and thanks! Good to see a post from you. :greetings10:

Photoguy, thanks! I have to admit that I was bowled over by such a big surprise.

Wow! Sounds like good news, even if it does cover 2 months. Glad you looked into it.

Wow! Sounds like good news, even if it does cover 2 months. Glad you looked into it.

Thank you so much for posting that link a long time ago. I think it was the same link that I added to my first post in this thread, IIRC.

Things are working out even better - - just now I logged into the social security website for the first time today, and it told me how much I would be getting per month. It is essentially the same, only a few dollars less and a very, very satisfactory amount IMO. The maximum possible would be $1321*, and my monthly payments will only be about three hundred less. It also said that these payments do not include any deductions. That's FINE! Now I know what I have, and I am on cloud nine.

I have had dreams like this.... but this time it's real! :D Now it's time to run FIRECalc with this in it, too! I haven't ever included spousal benefits because I had no idea what they would be.

*(Since the maximum SS benefit at FRA in 2014 was listed as $2642 here.)

Last edited:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It was $36 total, including tip. Usually we each pay $6 ($5 for the meal plus $1 tip), for a total of $12. I urged him to order dessert but he couldn't eat another bite.

And yes, if you want any to be left you'd better hurry up! :D:dance:

Last edited:

Hey, it's hard to spend money when one does not eat much, and also does not drink.

Me, I would order the whole horse instead of the usual 1/2, and the entire vat of booze instead of the usual gallon.

horseburger2.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on your "found" money!

Now this deserves a "Wheeeee!":LOL:
And it happens every month until you're 70. That is a good type of surprise.
I have a sneaky suspicion that Amazon.com is just gonna luv you....:D

Walt, I'm not familiar with the working of ss. I know when you reach a certain age you can collect. Could you explain what you meant by the sentence that I bolded? What happens at 70?

Congratulations on your "found" money!

Walt, I'm not familiar with the working of ss. I know when you reach a certain age you can collect. Could you explain what you meant by the sentence that I bolded? What happens at 70?

In my case, at age 70 I will be able to switch over to my own SS benefits based on my work history. Between now and then, they will be growing just as if I never took my present spousal benefits.

I planned to take my own benefits at age 70 all along. This just adds spousal payments between ages 66 and 70. At age 70 I will switch from spousal benefits to my own (larger) benefits.

In my case, at age 70 I will be able to switch over to my own SS benefits based on my work history. Between now and then, they will be growing just as if I never took my present spousal benefits.

I planned to take my own benefits at age 70 all along. This just adds spousal payments between ages 66 and 70. At age 70 I will switch from spousal benefits to my own (larger) benefits.

Ahhhh, thanks. This is why I love this forum. Not ready to retire but learning so I'm ready.

This is such great news, W2R! Isn't it wonderful when a surprise is a good one (or in this case, a really good one)?!

Wow so about 1k your were not expecting. That is very nice. That would cover about 60% or more of our budget.

Congrats. Definitely calls for a brief splurge before returning to your normal frugal self.

Last edited:
Why? W2R's spending power has gotten to a "permanent higher plateau".

I think I have reached "escape velocity", to borrow the phrasing from another thread's title.

In four years when I am 70, I'll switch to my own social security, which will be growing from now until then. So, at that time my SS payments will go up another major notch.

I think I have reached "escape velocity", to borrow the phrasing from another thread's title.

In four years when I am 70, I'll switch to my own social security, which will be growing from now until then. So, at that time my SS payments will go up another major notch.
As I said earlier, you are already past Mars. This newly fired booster will get you out of this solar system that much quicker, I tell ya.

What we all wonder is what you will be spending it on. So, keep us posted. :)

Just a couple of weeks ago, I rounded up all my tax records to get income numbers to enter into the calculator I downloaded from SSS.gov. Took those numbers then entered them into FIRECalc, I saw that I could "kick it up" several notches. But doing what? I do not crave new fancy cars, and my homes are large and nice enough (yet, that waterfront home on Bainbridge Island is still out reach). I should be traveling more, but my sudden health issue really cramps my style.

I think my children will be very happy when we croak!

Back
Top Bottom