Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
OMG, this is so unfair. Why can't some of that manna from heaven splash on us spenderinas?
Why couldn't it have splashed down on me when I was young and dirt poor, when I really, desperately needed it? This is almost like the universe is playing a joke on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
j/k. I'm a great believer in the role good fortune plays when it comes to FIRE, but being able to say "enough" is neither luck nor serendipity, it's attitude and discipline, and you seem to have the right amount of both. Enjoy your gift!
Thanks. Right now I'm not sure if it is a gift or a burden. I am doing searches on how to spend more money and so far I think most webpages are abysmally lacking in imagination. Maybe that upgraded house in the back of my mind would be a good option some day, if I can find one that I like better than where I am now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why couldn't it have splashed down on me when I was young and dirt poor, when I really, desperately needed it? This is almost like the universe is playing a joke on me.

Thanks. Right now I'm not sure if it is a gift or a burden. I am doing searches on how to spend more money and so far I think most webpages are abysmally lacking in imagination. Maybe that upgraded house in the back of my mind would be a good option some day, if I can find one that I like better than where I am now.

You get other fringe benefits when you are young and dirt poor!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know you don't like travel, but a trip would be a good way to celebrate this windfall. If you don't want to go far, why not take Frank for a short break at a luxury golf resort, spa, etc within driving distance? That's what I would probably do.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You get other fringe benefits when you are young and dirt poor!
Yeah, I was a lot prettier even with second hand clothes, and I knew it! I had a lot of fun despite not having two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I know you don't like travel, but a trip would be a good way to celebrate this windfall. If you don't want to go far, why not take Frank for a short break at a luxury golf resort, spa, etc within driving distance? That's what I would probably do.
That's a good idea. I'll look around to see what is available within a day's drive or so.

It's really hard to think of ways to blow money other than trips or cars/planes/boats/RVs. Now real estate - - that has some promise, if I can find a really super house (not a mansion) to move into.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's really hard to think of ways to blow money other than trips or cars/planes/boats.
For a very reasonable retainer I'll supply you with an almost endless supply of money blowing ideas.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

REwahoo, you live in Texas, after BBQ and Shiner, what else is there?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post

Black gold, Texas tea?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For a very reasonable retainer I'll supply you with an almost endless supply of money blowing ideas.

Gosh, thanks....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sorry, all fees are due in advance of services provided.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Manna from Heaven (via the Social Security Administration...)
Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #70

Manna from Heaven (via the Social Security Administration...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm sorry, all fees are due in advance of services provided.

You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at.

When you get the fees, shout "Wahoo!". Then do Asleep At The Wheel and "Shout Wa Hey!".

Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. Right now I'm not sure if it is a gift or a burden.
A burden? I do not know of any encumbrance that could be more easily shed. In fact people are so willing to help you remove such terrible load off your account shoulders. And this includes your friends here on the forum. Send it to us, and we will tell you how we dispose of it for you.

Well, if it were me, I would just add it to my pile, and count it along with the rest of its cousins. As I keep sayin', countin' money, even if it is done with Quicken, is a pleasure in itself.

"Money is much more exciting than anything it buys" - Mignon McLaughlin

Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of Quicken, as I hit "One Step Update" while making the above post, it just came back and told me a big check (low 5 figure) to my contractor just cleared the bank!

With the market taking a stumble recently, when will I see that Quicken bottom line setting a new high? No manna from heaven for me.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #73

Wow, W2R. What wonderful news!

I followed the link you posted, just to learn about this. I was curious if your Federal pension had any effect. Sound like it does ( like GPO or WEP ) but I remember you said your pension is small.

My sister was married for 20 years before her divorce and her ex is almost full retirement age by now. Doesn't matter as she remarried within a few years.

She turned 62 in April and wanted to get her SS early. Her DH is 67, recently retired but not collecting SS yet as they have a healthy portfolio to live on. He tried to explain the benefits of her waiting until her FRA and his file and suspend, but she wanted to start at 62 even if it wasn't the best option. Her reasoning is that since they got married everything has come from his income and his assets and she wants to be able to contribute to the pot. They travel a lot and she wants to be know that she helps with some of these extra expenses.

So her decision is from her heart and gut, not a math equation. Like you, she was so excited to see that first direct deposit, in her name.

Congratulations! Another good reason your unmarried status works.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
... Her DH is 67, recently retired but not collecting SS yet as they have a healthy portfolio to live on. He tried to explain the benefits of her waiting until her FRA and his file and suspend, but she wanted to start at 62 even if it wasn't the best option...
I am not sure if it is not a toss-up.

The more important thing is for her husband to delay SS, which he already does. If he dies first as most men do, then she will step up to his SS benefit. As a widow has to live on a single SS, it is desirable to have that as high as possible.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, W2R. What wonderful news!

I followed the link you posted, just to learn about this. I was curious if your Federal pension had any effect. Sound like it does ( like GPO or WEP )
Nope - - I am in the newer FERS federal retirement system (like everyone first hired by the federal government after the mid 1980's, I think). As such, I paid the full amount into Social Security from every single paycheck and my pension is correspondingly smaller. So, my pension does not reduce my SS. I think that GPO/WEP are more relevant for those in the older CSRS federal retirement system.

Quote:
Congratulations! Another good reason your unmarried status works.
Thank you!! I didn't choose to stay single just because of divorced spousal benefits (since I kind of dropped the ball and didn't understand about them at first). But it sure worked out nicely; had I remarried, I would not have qualified for these benefits.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thank you!! I didn't choose to stay single just because of divorced spousal benefits (since I kind of dropped the ball and didn't understand about them at first). But it sure worked out nicely; had I remarried, I would not have qualified for these benefits.
Some day I will collect on my ex wife's SS while I put off collecting my own SS until I am 70. She cannot collect on mine since she remarried. Please, turn off the Gloat-o-meter before I break it.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Some day I will collect on my ex wife's SS while I put off collecting my own SS until I am 70. She cannot collect on mine since she remarried. Please, turn off the Gloat-o-meter before I break it.
Great! The terrific thing about divorced spousal benefits is that it won't take a thing away from what the ex-spouse gets, either. So gloat all you want, and don't feel even a little bit guilty about it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
High school football, I imagine.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The thing I really want and would enjoy is a waterfront home in the Puget Sound, but the SS checks are not enough to help.
Me, too.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lone Star and Austin music.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote