Marketwatch - Why do I do this to myself?

I'm convinced 90% of these so called "market experts" don't know anything.

Can't believe that I am agreeing with Big_Hitter! :D

OP perhaps it is either that you have too much time on your hands or that you are paranoid. :)

All those articles are just click bait.

I visit MW, but I know to ignore the noise. Sometimes there is some actual news available.

If you find reading such headlines/articles cause you to alter your investment choices, then it might be best to avoid those sites.

I am a frequent visitor to MW and scratch my head over the same contadictory stories. You should view it as "we report, you decide" or simply "opinions are like sphincters, everybody has one".

I'm convinced 90% of these so called "market experts" don't know anything.

But with 2 bullish articles and 2 bearish articles, half of them will be right! Sort of like when Yogi said "90% of baseball is half pitching".

If you find reading such headlines/articles cause you to alter your investment choices, then it might be best to avoid those sites.
Then why not just read comics or reread 50 Shades of Gray? If reading investment information never causes you to alter a stance, why do it?

Ha

If reading investment information never causes you to alter a stance, why do it?

Ha

I was referring to the click bait stuff on MW, not all "investment information".

95% of the stuff on MW should be considered entertainment. If it causes anxiety or bad investing behavior, avoid it.

I used to read MW regularly. Now I confine my financial surfing pretty much to this site, Bogleheads.com and Coffeehouse Investor (and the links to which those sites take me when posters reference other articles.) One could argue that I'm only reading stuff that reinforces what I already believe, but so be it.

Last edited:
If reading investment information never causes you to alter a stance, why do it?

I don't change my investing philosophy based on their articles. In fact I rarely actually read them. It's just funny how one site can send such conflicting signals at the exact same time.

jarts98

1. Put together a well thought out long term plan.
2. Follow that well thought out long term plan.
3. Stay with that plan for the long term.
4. Read a book.

I like listening to Bloomberg radio on web or Sirusxm. They usually have good discussions. I like reading or listening to both sides, bull and bear case to help me decide what to do.

if they get 6 consecutive coin flips correct, then they are consistent

Now I confine my financial surfing pretty much to this site, Bogleheads.com and Coffeehouse Investor (and the links to which those sites take me when posters reference other articles.) One could argue that I'm only reading stuff that reinforces what I already believe, but so be it.

Your surfing pretty much matches mine, with a little Money Mustache thrown in.

I also wonder if I am getting one-sided viewpoints, but the info on this site and the others is so damn good that I am starting not to care.

Back
Top Bottom