Maybe someone can check this for me

I went in today and decided that I was ready to retire I will be offically retired as of 2/29/2012. Lot of sleepless nights trying to make the move but to worry no more on that one. My next phase in life starts now. Wish me luck. Oldtrig:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats! Enjoy yourself.

I went in today and decided that I was ready to retire I will be offically retired as of 2/29/2012. Lot of sleepless nights trying to make the move but to worry no more on that one. My next phase in life starts now. Wish me luck. Oldtrig:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congratulations ! Enjoy !

oldtrig said:

Oldtrig, good for you! You are ready for this, hopefully no more sleepless nights. The best of luck to you and your wife.

Congratulations. February is going to be a good month for you - just be careful not to sprain your face smiling :dance:

You picked a fun day to take the 'leap'. Best of luck.

just be careful not to sprain your face smiling
I like that one
When I signed the papers yesterday I was nervous, today I woke up feeling like a new person. I have been working at a job since I was 17 years old. I graduated from HS in 1965 and went straight to work. I did try one semester of college and I could not sit still long enough to hear anything the teachers said. Forty seven years without a break longer than two weeks. I will take one day at a time and enjoy life for a change. oldtrig

Congrats! A well-deserved retirement! I hope you enjoy it immensely.

Thanks, my wife was approved for Blue Cross Blue Shield today and I will use Cobra for five months until Medicare, total of $600 per month for both. In August that amount drops to $410 for the both of us when Medicare kicks in. I will take Blue Cross C+.
I have looked forward to this for a very long time. Lots of worry and planning. Last night I did the math and I will make the same money as if I were working. Never really thought about that part until recently. Eighteen working days left. On March 1st I get a check for $10,860 because I sold part of my sick leave and vacation days. I only missed three days from work because of sickness in 15 years. I will use that money to pay our health insurance premiums so it will look like the insurance is free for about 18 months. I understand I will have to pay tax on the money but I have that in my plan. .
I would say for anyone who has accumulated any wealth that health insurance is the number one thing you need to make the move.
I have had a smile on my face all day since I found out my wife was accepted into the insurance plan. She has a couple of years before Medicare and that is fine. We plan on doing many things this year. Thanks again to all who supported me. Old trig:):cool::cool::)

Congratulations again, it looks like everything is clicking into place. :dance:

Great news, Oldtrig. Healthcare insurance is the biggest hassle for us ER types, so once that is taken care of everything else seems easy. Welcome to the club. And the "sprain your face" is funny, but also appropriate.

... I have been working at a job since I was 17 years old. I graduated from HS in 1965 and went straight to work. I did try one semester of college and I could not sit still long enough to hear anything the teachers said. Forty seven years without a break longer than two weeks. I will take one day at a time and enjoy life for a change. oldtrig

Forty-seven years working at a job: you certainly have put in your time. I'm sure we all hope you enjoy your retirement. :):):):):):):)

Forty-seven years working at a job: you certainly have put in your time. I'm sure we all hope you enjoy your retirement. :):):):):):):)

Not 47 years in the same job. I would have went crazy if that had happened. I started working for my Dad when I was 12 years old in the summers. When I got out of HS I went directly to work. I did attend college in 1966 but found out quickly that was not for me. I did make an A in ROTC:facepalm:. I then joined the USAF and spent fours years. I was in SAC if anyone here knows what that is . While stationed in Guam in 1967 we worked 12 hour days 6 days a week. I did that for 6 months during the bombing of Vietnam. After I returned to civilian life in 1970 I went to work right away. I stayed on that job for 27 years and this job for 15. Forty seven years in about right not counting the summers working for my Dad. . oldtrig

Last edited:
just be careful not to sprain your face smiling
I like that one
When I signed the papers yesterday I was nervous, today I woke up feeling like a new person. I have been working at a job since I was 17 years old. I graduated from HS in 1965 and went straight to work. I did try one semester of college and I could not sit still long enough to hear anything the teachers said. Forty seven years without a break longer than two weeks. I will take one day at a time and enjoy life for a change. oldtrig

Great! enjoy

oldtrig - my sincerest congrats! And guess what? My last day at work is also 2/29! We will both be Class of 2012! I haven't been at it quite as long as you, but started working full-time in high school (had to go to night high school so I could work) at 16 years old. 56 now, so 40 years non-stop for me - no college - I was never encouraged to go and kind of assumed it was for rich people.

And thank you for your service sir - and all the other great veterans on this site as well.

It will be fun to see how we do in retirement! If we do half as good as most of the folks on this site, we WILL be spraining our faces!

Pete

I am telling you this is great. I have loved ever minute of this retirement thing since day one. I have been busy with projects. I also left plenty of time to work on my golf handicap. Tomorrow I will remove the engine from my sons 2002 Nissan Xterra and rebuild it. His wife run it hot Friday:facepalm: and I will have to do a complete rebuild. I am back in my shop after being gone for 15 years and it is great. No phone ringing there anymore , just me doing something I really enjoy. More on this project later. oldtrig:cool::)

oldtrig - remember me? We retired on the same day, and I totally agree with you. It's been two weeks, and I have been walking around with this tremendous feeling of gratitude. This is a gift! I've mostly been building and executing a new fitness plan - that has been a hugely neglected part of my life. It has been a blast - my only caution to folks is NOT to do too much too fast!

I am soo much more relaxed - I'll bet my blood pressure has gone down for sure.

Well I better let you get back to that engine! Thanks for the update oldtrig!

Pete

Yes psweath I remember you. It is great and I agree with you on the blood pressure thing. My stomach problems also cleared up all of sudden:cool:. Now I got to make sure I do not loose any more blood:facepalm: working on cars. I think every bone and muscle in my body is hurting but it is a good hurt. I feel great working again for myself. You have to remember I only entered the workforce 15 years ago working for someone other than me. It was a bumpy ride but I rode it out. Now when I work there are no dead lines, just doing what I enjoy. I got to stop the bleeding so I can play golf tomorrow:flowers:, just kidding but I did have a few small cuts pulling that engine out. I have it ready to rebuild so I should be busy for quite a while. Oldtrig

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom