Medicare Benefits for Spouses

Charlie_Boy

Dryer sheet aficionado
My wife received her annual Social Security Statement and she does not have enough credits of work for benefits. She was born in Japan and only recently became a naturalized citizen. Since arriving in the States in 1990 she has worked and paid into Social Security but her past employment was in Japan. She currently has 35 credits and does not currently work. This never concerned us because we know that she will be eligible for Social Security benefits in later life under my social security. However, reading the statement I wonder if we should be concerned about Medicare.

Regarding health care, she has always been covered under my insurance. Now that I am retired we both are covered under Tricare Prime. However, the statement says that she does not quality for Medicare because of her work credits. Will she be covered under Medicare later in life because I am covered under Medicare, like Social Security? Is there any allowances for dependent wives of former military or can she convert her former employment in Japan toward this eligibility? Will she remain covered under Tricare if she is not covered under Medicare. Thanks for your help

Charlie

If figuring this out is too complicated, wouldn't it be relatively easy for her to earn the remaining five credits that would bring her up to the 40 required? IIRC, the threshhold for earning a credit is relatively low, and could probably pretty easily be earned through part-time work.

lhamo

Charlie Boy, if you qualify for SS both you and your wife are automatically eligible for Medicare.

Back
Top Bottom