Join Early Retirement Today
Near Death Experience ... for my computer
Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Near Death Experience ... for my computer

My 2000 computer is showing signs of problems plus it's way out of date. My FIL's computer is about a 2004 version and works much better. I'm going to move everything over but I've got a problem.

Does anyone know how to run two different Quicken data sets on one version of Quicken? The problem I see is that on closing it auto-saves which would wipe out whatever was on the hard drive.

The only thing I've been able to figure out would be to run it off memory sticks. We'd stick whichever memory stick we wanted to run into the computer and the it would auto-save onto the memory stick.

Does MS Money make it easier to have two accounts?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Put your quicken data files in different directories. Then when you save the particular file it will be saved in the directory you opened it in. You can set up two Quicken Desktop Shortcuts (for instance Quicken 2008 and Quicken 2007) and have them open in the data file in the corresponding directory. I would still use the memory sticks to save a backup of the data files so you have a "off disk" set of data. In money your just open the respective file from the desktop withing Money (BTW there is NOT going to be a 2009 version of Money published this year).
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote