Need ideas: second career for a lawyer

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking for some ideas for a relative of mine...20 years of experience as a lawyer, some as a federal prosecutor, some corporate, some independent (hang out a shingle). Now he's looking for something different to do for ~5 years before the big R. Needs to keep busy (not ready to sit around the house all day) and keep some money coming in, although he doesn't need big bucks. Can anyone suggest some good ideas for an ex-lawyer...a career when he can leverage his skills (writing/communicating/organizing/critical thinking/analysis) but not actually practice law?

Some ideas that I came up with:

1) Real estate - could be a variety of things
- buy a few properties and rent them out
- support real estate transactions in some capacity (realtor, mortgage broker)

2) Small business
- buy & operate a franchise

Any others? I know there are some lawyers on the board...would appreciate suggestions.

Certified Financial Planner-- much easier to get certified if you are a lawyer.

I know my state allows you to be a real estate broker pretty much automatically if you are a lawyer.

soupcxan said:
I'm looking for some ideas for a relative of mine...20 years of experience as a lawyer, some as a federal prosecutor, some corporate, some independent (hang out a shingle).
Geez, he's a lawyer. Isn't he supposed to network his contacts to sit on a few corporate boards (director's pay), advise a few non-profits (retainer pay), and start working his political career?

If, OTOH, he sees himself as an ER instead of a lawyer, perhaps he could take Martha's approach. Cut back his hours to the minimum required income and figure out what he wants to do with the rest of his life...

Nords said:
Geez, he's a lawyer. <snip> start working his political career?

Might be something there - if he's in a small town or county, what about getting elected or appointed to a council, board, etc.? Most of them pay something - not living wage but a stipend.

He could teach at a college, act as a consultant for other lawyers, write a book, or get into politics.

Or, if he wants to change his career, he could take any of his favorite hobbies, and turn it into a small business.  I know a guy that enjoys baseball, so he opened up a small business with batting cages and baseball instruction for kids and adults.  I also know a lady who takes old cigar boxes and manufactures them into ladies purses, then has purse parties at her house and also sells them on ebay.

Many, many possibilities and opportunities.  You just need a creative mind.

Sheryl said:
Might be something there - if he's in a small town or county, what about getting elected or appointed to a council, board, etc.?  Most of them pay something - not living wage but a stipend. 

I second this suggestion. Some small-time political post would offer a lot of free time, and a little money. He could sell a little real estate in his spare time.

He could also become a mediator or arbitrater, if his state offers or requires arbitration in lieu of a trial for damages less than a certain amount (or other mandatory arbitration schemes).

Guess it would not be appropriate for a listing of Lawyer Jokes!

I'm sorry, It's just been a lousy, windy cold day.

Don't mean any disrespect toward anyone!!

My approach for a second career for a lawyer would be to continue practicing law, but restrict his practice to the parts he really enjoys and only do as much as he wants to. It would be unusual for a successful lawyer to reach FI status without finding at least parts of it enjoyable.

Burn-out comes from having too much on the platter. The nice thing about a law practice is it can be scaled down easily to part time, which is not true of most professions.

I don't want to discuss in detail how I know this, but it does come from first-hand experience.

dt123 said:
My approach for a second career for a lawyer would be to continue practicing law, but restrict his practice to the parts he really enjoys and only do as much as he wants to.  It would be unusual for a successful lawyer to reach FI status without finding at least parts of it enjoyable. 

I would agree with this. Some professions by the very nature of the job, can easily be done PT. Many cannot, like mine. I could do consulting but the travel sucks and that alone prevents me from doing it. That and the bull s*it factor with the whole consulting thing. :p

Well as a PT lawyer, I would say it works so so. I cut down the amount of work and the number of clients. One problem is that client needs don't fit a regular schedule, like 5 hours a day for three days a week, 8 months a year. So my work tends to be up and down in an unpredictable way. Right now it is very quiet. Yet I have clients call me at my work number just to see if I am here. Even if they don't have anything they want me to do. When I am not here, I tell beg them to call my cell phone. But in that Minnesota way, they feel like they are imposing on me by calling my cell when I am not at work. So they avoid calling on the cell, and then gently chide me for not being available. :mad:

Plus, as another poster once mentioned, after years of coming into the same office and working hour after hour, it is just plain hard to come into work. I drag my feet every morning I come here.

Martha said:
I drag my feet every morning I come here.
Either it's been a very cold, windy, sunless month-- or else you are so ready to ER.

Or at least you're ready to take one of TH's long multi-month sabbaticals...

I am IN ER now, and trying to figure out the same thing. I am leaning to Mediation/Arbitration. But I know several lawyers who are doing that, and they say they get only 1 or 2 cases a year. But they are practicing lawyers - maybe their schedules keep them from assignments.

Looking to do some writing/editing also

:confused:

Hmmm, lawyer? Not what can a lawyer do:confused:?? my my my my my......

serve drinks and bar and give free legal advice, hmm
Towel boy at chicken ranch. yummmy
Wait tables.
security guard
scalp tickets
become a moyil, OY  ouch
deliver pizza
stock shelves
stop traffic
shovel coal
shovel elephant "droppings"
pump gas
What else is there?

jug said:
become a moyil, OY  ouch
Gosh, am I glad I didn't ask my mother-in-law to translate...

"The “mohel” (sometimes pronounced “moyil”) is a professional ritual circumciser; often a rabbi, but also often not. The mohel is trained not only in the physical procedure of circumcision but also in traditional ritual forms. The mohel performs the surgical procedure and conducts the ceremony in the family's home on the eighth day. A more traditional mohel may insist on practices that are unfamiliar or even repugnant to many modern Jews, and parents considering retaining the services a mohel should feel free to ask the mohel for a very specific description of how he performs the circumcision, and a copy of the ritual text that will be used. In all but the largest Jewish communities the mohel must be brought in from another city, and arrangements must be made as far in advance as possible."

If that doesn't start a spewing of lawyer jokes, I don't know what else will!

Nords said:
Gosh, am I glad I didn't ask my mother-in-law to translate...

"The “mohel” (sometimes pronounced “moyil”) is a professional ritual circumciser; often a rabbi, but also often not.  The mohel is trained not only in the physical procedure of circumcision but also in traditional ritual forms.  The mohel performs the surgical procedure and conducts the ceremony in the family's home on the eighth day.  A more traditional mohel may insist on practices that are unfamiliar or even repugnant to many modern Jews, and parents considering retaining the services a mohel should feel free to ask the mohel for a very specific description of how he performs the circumcision, and a copy of the ritual text that will be used.  In all but the largest Jewish communities the mohel must be brought in from another city, and arrangements must be made as far in advance as possible."

If that doesn't start a spewing of lawyer jokes, I don't know what else will!

Did you know they can now do circumcisions over the Internet? They call the procedure "e-moyil" :D

Nords said:
Broadband or dial-up?

I'd think the latter would be a rather painful experience. Then again, allowing someone to perform a circumcision at "high speed" would be a bit disconcerting. :D

Jay_Gatsby said:
I'd think the latter would be a rather painful experience.  Then again, allowing someone to perform a circumcision at "high speed" would be a bit disconcerting. :D
I'm sure most of the guys would estimate that their procedure would require at least a T-3 or "bigger"...

I bet we all start seeing this spam in a few days!

Nords said:
I'm sure most of the guys would estimate that their procedure would require at least a T-3 or "bigger"...

I bet we all start seeing this spam in a few days!

When it comes to the Internet, "pipe" size does matter! :p

Back
Top Bottom