Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The last fraud was for $0.21. I figure it was a test to see if anybody would notice. We did.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I bought someone in California fraud monitoring protection once. I assume it was an unintentional screw up and not someone actually stealing a credit card to protect their own cards.

This sig intentionally left blank.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
This policy varies by dealer. Last used car I bought, the dealer allowed up to $5K with no fee. So I put $5K on my Fidelity AMEX 2% card, and wrote a check for the rest. On the car before that, I put the entire $15K purchase on the 2% card, but paid a 1% fee to the dealer. I've had other dealers refuse the card altogether.
+1 I bought a used work van for my FIL for $7k. $2k on my CC, $5k cashier's check.
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
I just had to get a new Amazon Visa. Someone in TX tried to use my card to buy a WildTangent game for $9.99. It was rejected because they had the wrong expiration date and billing address. It sounded to me like somebody typo'ed their CC number, but they shut down my account anyway.

I buy everything on my Discover CC for the cash back bonus, and since a fair chunk of that is for my business it really adds up. But I can see a time in the future when it's just not worth it. Chip and pin helps with in person purchasing, but unless they come up with something to provide real security for online purchases it could get very expensive for the CC companies and very annoying for the customers.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
In the early 1990's, I bought someone about $450 worth of pizza in Pattaya, Thailand. I protested and the CC company credited me. This is a scam as old as CC's.

latexman is offline   Reply With Quote