New mortgage rules in Canada

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As of today, it's going to be more difficult for marginal buyers to get a mortgage in this country.

• All borrowers must meet the standards for a five-year, fixed-rate mortgage, even if they choose a variable mortgage with a lower rate or a shorter term.
  • The maximum Canadians can withdraw when refinancing their mortgages drops to 90 per cent of the value of their home, from 95 per cent.
  • Buyers must make now a minimum 20 per cent down payment — up from five per cent — to qualify for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. insurance for non-owner-occupied properties purchased as an investment.
When I bought my home, my downpayment was over 50% of the purchase price. On rental properties, my deposits have been 25-35%. So had this rule been in place it wouldn't have affected me at all. I just can't imagine wanting to own a few percent of my properties, e.g. the kitchen sink.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/04/19/mortgage-rules-april-19.html#ixzz0labHKLGk

Interesting, thanks for posting that.

I find it amazing that many people wouldn't blink at the idea of purchasing a building with 19:1 leverage, but if you mention buying stocks on margin (limited to 1:1 leverage in the US), even w/o mentioning the ratio, people act like you're some kind of crazy.

Even the old traditional 20% down (which is what I did in our early years, to avoid paying the extra insurance - PMI in the US) strikes me as pretty dangerous in hindsight. Fortunately, it worked out for me, but a few glitches and/or bad luck and I could have been in trouble. I could have been a statistic.

20% really should be an absolute minimum, IMO.

-ERD50

This will cull some overstretched owners, but it ought to put the brakes on outrageous excesses.

I hope this prevents a crash like the US. What do you think?

Interesting, thanks for posting that.

I find it amazing that many people wouldn't blink at the idea of purchasing a building with 19:1 leverage, but if you mention buying stocks on margin (limited to 1:1 leverage in the US), even w/o mentioning the ratio, people act like you're some kind of crazy.

Even the old traditional 20% down (which is what I did in our early years, to avoid paying the extra insurance - PMI in the US) strikes me as pretty dangerous in hindsight. Fortunately, it worked out for me, but a few glitches and/or bad luck and I could have been in trouble. I could have been a statistic.

20% really should be an absolute minimum, IMO.

-ERD50

It would have prevented me from getting my first house only put 10% down (and I had a negatively amortized mortgage) but I think it is in fact a good idea. I could have come up with the 20% in a few years with diligent savings. ERD is right people think buying stocks on margin at 1:1 leverage is speculative but 10%, 5%,or even 2% (FHA I believe for a while) down is perfectly fine.

This will cull some overstretched owners, but it ought to put the brakes on outrageous excesses.

I hope this prevents a crash like the US. What do you think?

Well, the US crash was preceded by a US bubble. Prevent one, prevent the other. Unfortunately, it looks like the bubble has enlarged here but maybe not to the extent the US's did. I hope for a slow deflation of the bubble without pins being involved, or an expansion of jobs and income with flat housing prices. We can survive that.

kumquat, there has to be job expansion real soon to avoid trouble. There are a lot of unemployed Albertans trying to make their house payments on unemployment insurance (translation: "EI" in Canadistan), draining their RRSPs, too (Canadian equivalent to IRAs). This could be the double-whammy that pushes some off the chair. It was wise for the gummint to extend EI benefits, but I hope it is enough.

The bubble has already burst in Alberta. IMHO Vancouver is next, probably in 3Q2010. Toronto might just slow down and go flat for 7 to 10 years. The speculation will stop but there are 100s of speculators at work in Vancouver already.

Back
Top Bottom