No matter how Rich -- Our Lives Never End Well...........

Cut-Throat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our Lives Never End Well .........Some much worse than others..... I followed this guy's business career for the last 40 years here in Minneapolis... One of the Richest in Town... Today was his last....

Irwin Jacobs

Richard Cory by Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Later paraphrased by Simon and Garfunkel in a song by the same name.

Our Lives Never End Well .........Some much worse than others..... I followed this guy's business career for the last 40 years here in Minneapolis... One of the Richest in Town... Today was his last....

Irwin Jacobs
"He made a fortune as a corporate raider who bought and liquidated failing companies at a profit". Karma?

Usually when a person dies, there is often someone who says "At least he died doing what he loved"

Wonder what makes someone who still could have many more years left, and is not starving do that.

Article provides more information than most about suicide and wealthy people. Maybe they planned it together? We'll never know.
I often wonder why suicide is viewed as "unstable" or ''can't take it anymore" type of thinking. Could be in so much pain, mentally or physically it's a way out. A venture into the unknown might be better than the known here on earth.

I do tell my DH to "put me down" if I'm no longer healthy and create a burden. What's the big deal? We're all going anyway. I'd rather go my way quick and painless, than suffer.
And to say suicide is sinful or you go to hell if you commit suicide. I don't believe that for one second.

Article provides more information than most about suicide and wealthy people. Maybe they planned it together? We'll never know.
I often wonder why suicide is viewed as "unstable" or ''can't take it anymore" type of thinking. Could be in so much pain, mentally or physically it's a way out. A venture into the unknown might be better than the known here on earth.

I do tell my DH to "put me down" if I'm no longer healthy and create a burden. What's the big deal? We're all going anyway. I'd rather go my way quick and painless, than suffer.
And to say suicide is sinful or you go to hell if you commit suicide. I don't believe that for one second.

We have figured out how to get our animals out of this world, but we insist on letting humans suffer to the end.

There are places, a bit more humane, like Switzerland.

or Oregon

DW & I are talking about Death with Dignity as it is called here in Oregon. Her C is "progressing" We are scheduled to talk with the oncologist next week. She did not have a great week this week. Surgeon tried to put in 3 stents. They could only get one in. She is not in a great deal of pain now. And the oncology dept has been great about dealing with pain. But it's not a lot of "quality" right now. About 75% (guesstimate) of the people that sign up for the program do not use it

She plans to attend her own memorial :cool:

One of the greatest societies that ever existed, classical Rome, had plenty suicide. But as to asking to be killed by a spouse, that often would guarantee that he or she goes to prison

Except in Ontario Canada, Medically approved suicide is legal and the drugs are free, so being poor is not even a reason not to go.

My link was actually to a story about what first appeared to be a murder-suicide of a wealthy Canadian couple being found to be a murder-murder, so it wasn’t suicide at all. Just thought some might find that interesting—I guess not.

or Oregon

DW & I are talking about Death with Dignity as it is called here in Oregon. Her C is "progressing" We are scheduled to talk with the oncologist next week. She did not have a great week this week. Surgeon tried to put in 3 stents. They could only get one in. She is not in a great deal of pain now. And the oncology dept has been great about dealing with pain. But it's not a lot of "quality" right now. About 75% (guesstimate) of the people that sign up for the program do not use it

I am so sorry to hear that your wife's cancer is progressing. Prayers to both of you. I hope they can continue to keep her as comfortable as possible whatever path you decide on.

My link was actually to a story about what first appeared to be a murder-suicide of a wealthy Canadian couple being found to be a murder-murder, so it wasn’t suicide at all. Just thought some might find that interesting—I guess not.

so they were both murdered ( like my instinct suggested ) , thanks for the update

the event caught my attention because they manufactured the majority of my current medications

cheers

Actually I did find it interesting and was considering how this may play out.... At this point in time no one close to the family has claimed anything different.

or Oregon

So sorry that your DW's cancer is not responding to treatment. I admire the two of you having these difficult conversations. So often other family members have difficulty accepting the final wishes of the ill person.

A neighbor gentleman was diagnosed with a nasty glioblastoma with a very poor prognosis. His 4 daughters and spouse just couldn't accept what was going on. They pressured him to take round after round of chemo. The daughters would tell me, don't worry Dad's going to beat this, "we'll" just keep trying.

After a difficult round of chemo he was driven home and went into the bathroom. While laying on the bathroom floor dealing with the aftereffects of chemo he looked at his wife and said I just can't take this anymore and died. This story has lead to my DH and I having several conversations about choice and quality of life. Right now these discussions are theoretical but if this happens to one of us, I think they will help with the hard decisions.

God Bless you and your wife as you work through these issues together.

Taking care of a dementia patient could be devastating. Watching a loved one's mental health deteriorating can be heartbreaking. I can see why it can lead to a murder-suicide situation, not that I condone the act.

I just hope that they lived a full life, all 77 years of it. RIP to both.

I agree it is a sad way to go..

Worst of all - with dementia, there's no "death with dignity" option because the demented person can't make that decision for themselves. The only possible "out" is considered murder. So, it is jail either way, for the caregiver. Mentally and physically jailed taking care of a person who no longer knows them, or actually put in jail.

There really needs to be another way.

Taking care of a dementia patient could be devastating. Watching a loved one's mental health deteriorating can be heartbreaking. I can see why it can lead to a murder-suicide situation, not that I condone the act.

I just hope that they lived a full life, all 77 years of it. RIP to both.

This turned into a very good/tough thread. Likely not where the OP wanted this to go, but nevertheless, provocative.

The comment about dementia above and that there is no "death with dignity" is one of my greatest fears.

I frequently joke that I hope I get hit by a bus when I am at the point that I can no longer live my life without the constant care that I have witnessed required of so many elderly people in their final years.

or Oregon

So sorry to hear this news. I am thinking of you both and hoping for the best outcomes possible. [hugs]

or Oregon

Wishing you and your DW the best during this difficult time. Thank you for sharing. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have the conversations that you are having. Be strong.

Worst of all - with dementia, there's no "death with dignity" option because the demented person can't make that decision for themselves. The only possible "out" is considered murder. So, it is jail either way, for the caregiver. Mentally and physically jailed taking care of a person who no longer knows them, or actually put in jail.

There really needs to be another way.

Truer words were never spoken.

We can hypothesize that maybe the couple in the OP's article found that "other" way, but surely there should be better options.

I've never heard anyone say they want to be kept alive in chronic pain or with severe dementia, yet somehow that's the expectation. Something is wrong with our societal values.

Truer words were never spoken.

We can hypothesize that maybe the couple in the OP's article found that "other" way, but surely there should be better options.

I've never heard anyone say they want to be kept alive in chronic pain or with severe dementia, yet somehow that's the expectation. Something is wrong with our societal values.

I feel like we have come so far with modern medicine (too far) that there is some unreasonable goal to just extend life.

As someone else already mentioned, we treat our pets with dignity and "put them out of their misery", yet we do not think that way as humans :(

Back
Top Bottom