NYS Teachers Pension

christrong

Dryer sheet wannabe
My DW has been in the NYS teachers union for 2 years we have quite a few to go. She is Tier 5 for those in the know. Anyhow, she doesn't like to ask questions of HR (for some crazy reason) so I was wondering if any of you can provide me some insight on how the pension works for NYS Teachers.

Is it a percentage of base salary per year? What is the earliest you can start withdrawing? Is there a penalty for early withdrawl?

I truly appreciate any insight...THANKS!

My DW has been in the NYS teachers union for 2 years we have quite a few to go. She is Tier 5 for those in the know. Anyhow, she doesn't like to ask questions of HR (for some crazy reason) so I was wondering if any of you can provide me some insight on how the pension works for NYS Teachers.

Is it a percentage of base salary per year? What is the earliest you can start withdrawing? Is there a penalty for early withdrawl?

Your DW doesn't really don't need to talk with HR, just ask one question. Which pension plan is she enrolled in. Once you know that, you both can talk directly with the pension administrators, and if they have a web site (likely), get all the info you need there.

NYS Teachers' Retirement System

I noticed on the link they have an 800 number where you can talk live to a person. I would call them and they can direct you. HR at your place might not be a good place to ask about pensions anyways. In my state HR departments in schools have no connection to the retirement system, so asking them was pointless.

Back
Top Bottom