October

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February" --Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

I quote this for no particular reason other we are now in the month of October and I am an admirer of the writings of Mr. Clemens. 8)

... but it has also been the start of the best 12 month period of the "presidential cycle" (note my use of the past tense). I too admire the wit of Mr. Clemens ... but recall that he was quite disasterous as an investor.

d said:
... but it has also been the start of the best 12 month period of the "presidential cycle" (note my use of the past tense). I too admire the wit of Mr. Clemens ... but recall that he was quite disasterous as an investor.
How many bankruptcies did Twain rack up? Three? Four? No wonder the guy had a wicked sense of humor.

If the investment values of this month get any better then we're going to have to go to the TH strategy of rebalancing our equities into Lexuses & Pilots...

How many bankruptcies did Twain rack up?
i believe he was never declared bankrupt, but "lost it all" (and more) in at least two major investments (a typesetter machine and a publishing company) ... also believe that he actually paid-off all of his debts to the penny! but that does not dismiss the fact that his investment history likely could not have been worse.

Cut-Throat said:
I am re-balancing into a new 2007 Lexus GS350 in a couple of months. :)

CT,
It's a very nice car with a high price tag:
2007 Lexus GS 350 Styles
MSRP Price Range: $44,150 - $46,100

Cut-Throat said:
I'm going with the All Wheel Drive and Navigation System so I'll be dropping $50K. ;)

My wife is buying it for me! :)
Must be nice. A friend of mine just bought a used 2002 Toyota Avalon. I couldn't believe how nice it drove. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a used one too. A new one pushes 40k. :eek:

mickeyd said:
October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February" --Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

I quote this for no particular reason other we are now in the month of October and I am an admirer of the writings of Mr. Clemens. 8)

Lucky for us, there are 28 months in a year except leap year. :D

d said:
i believe he was never declared bankrupt, but "lost it all" (and more) in at least two major investments (a typesetter machine and a publishing company) ... also believe that he actually paid-off all of his debts to the penny! but that does not dismiss the fact that his investment history likely could not have been worse.

Yep, he was left without a Finn.

JG

If memory serves - Mr. Clemens turned down an investment opportunity in a new fangled idea from some crack-pot Alexander Grahm Bell.

Sounds like my investment skills - but at least Mark Twain could write - I have trouble with a short piece in a forum!

Mysto said:
If memory serves - Mr. Clemens turned down an investment opportunity in a new fangled idea from some crack-pot Alexander Grahm Bell.

A lot of Mr Bell's creations took several shots at becoming commercially successful and the success wasn't always "his." He created many excellent technologies but others frequently made them "work" in the commercial world.

AG Bell did die rich but a lot of his investors didn't.

Mysto said:

Sounds like my investment skills - but at least Mark Twain could write - I have trouble with a short piece in a forum!

Good writer! Hemingway thought Huckleberry Finn was about the best fiction ever. I have what I think is Twain's complete works on my bookshelf
(1300 pages). Haven't tackled that yet.

JG

Cut-Throat said:
I'm going with the All Wheel Drive and Navigation System so I'll be dropping $50K. ;)

My wife is buying it for me! :)

Perhaps we need a new Category for the RE Forum just for CT -- "Kept Men." :D

2B said:
Perhaps we need a new Category for the RE Forum just for CT -- "Kept Men." :D
Technically you'd have to add in TH and, as of next January, myself. Spouse just picked up a $17K/year Reserve pay billet.

No wonder JG made himself ineligible for the club.

Anyone else?

Nords said:
Technically you'd have to add in TH and, as of next January, myself. Spouse just picked up a $17K/year Reserve pay billet.

No wonder JG made himself ineligible for the club.

Anyone else?

Even if I was eligible, I would be forced to pass based on some of the other
members (not mentioning any names). :)

JG

Twain's wife was a nag and a spendthrift. He didn't have a happy homelife. He lived during times of unregulated stock markets. Investing was quite risky in those days, regardless of company performances.

Back
Top Bottom